Support Spotify Connect to allow users to use the Spotify app as the controller.

• 3 September 2013
  • 366 replies

Userlevel 3
Spotify Connect was just announced and I was surprised that I didn't see Sonos in the list of companies that would provide support. Many Spotify users have been asking for a long time to be able to use the Spotify app as the controller for selecting songs, as it provides a superior experience (you still can't even see the Top 5 songs in the Spotify view within the Sonos app, and it is difficult to look through an artist's collection to find a specific song unless you know which album it was in). Please support spotify connect. Additional details on Spotify Connect are here: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/4688166/spotify-connect-launches-to-stream-music-to-compatible-speakers If you look at the post on theverge, even the first comment was one asking for Sonos support for the feature.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

366 replies

Is there an official statement from Sonos WHY they don't want to integrate Spotify connect? It's a simple question, isn't it? For me it's still a dealbreaker! 😠
Is there an official statement from Sonos WHY they don't want to integrate Spotify connect? It's a simple question, isn't it? For me it's still a dealbreaker! :@

Because it has no future? Spotify can cast to Chromecast Audio. Get one, plug into Sonos aux in. Done.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Exactly
I am considering buying Sonos, but have experienced the Spotify integration at a friends (which consisted of a poor user interface and intermittent but frequent timeouts when playing a playlist etc). However, if I go to Spotify's connect info page (https://www.spotify.com/uk/connect/) it gives a link to Spotify Gear that says "These devices come with Spotify Connect built right in":

This goes to http://spotifygear.com/ and has Sonos in the list. So I conclude that Sonos must have Spotify Connect and I just haven't worked out how to enable it / isn't on all products or software versions???

Be great to have some clarity on this from Spotify / Sonos.

If they don't have it - does anyone have experience of other multi speaker/platform music systems that do (ideally with a UI/controller that has better UX).
Because it has no future? Spotify can cast to Chromecast Audio. Get one, plug into Sonos aux in. Done.

This could be an option, but the problem is that the Sonos CONNECT doesn't have a digital input. I don't want to use the internal Chromecast Audio DAC.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Is there an official statement from Sonos WHY they don't want to integrate Spotify connect? It's a simple question, isn't it? For me it's still a dealbreaker! :@

How does it have no future? Spotify Connect isn't just about playing to hardware, it is a solution where you can hand off playback from device to device. So you can play on your phone, switch to the desktop player, switch to an Android tablet, etc, etc. Rdio had something similar, Spotify just went further and expanded it to hardware as well. It isn't like Spotify didn't have any hardware partners either, it is on pretty much everything except Sonos. Sure, you can use a Chromecast Audio right now, but using aux on Sonos can be rather clunky as you can't just choose which zone you want.

Really what we need now is for Sonos to support Google Cast, so a whole host of apps will automatically gain support, but who knows when or if that will ever happen.
I'm pretty sure the poster meant Spotify has no future. The venture capitalists aren't going to forever support a business that is losing millions of dollars a month. There is simply no way to monetize the streaming industry, especially now that Google and Apple, with their unlimited funds, have entered the fray.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm pretty sure the poster meant Spotify has no future. The venture capitalists aren't going to forever support a business that is losing millions of dollars a month. There is simply no way to monetize the streaming industry, especially now that Google and Apple, with their unlimited funds, have entered the fray.
I misunderstood that then if that is what they meant - I now see their other post further up. I'm not entirely sure I buy that it'll be gone in the near future. Yes they are losing money, but they have been growing steadily. Apple could definitely slow down that growth, but I wouldn't call it a done deal. I, for one, hope that Spotify continues to grow and coexists with Apple's and Google's services as it is my favorite service of the bunch.

Either way, I don't think Sonos' decision to not support Spotify Connect has anything to do about the future of Spotify.
Sonos long ago made the decision to be service neutral, and to use the Sonos API as much as possible instead of proprietary service interfaces. There have been exceptions, Spotify being one, but they have refused to go so far as to license their hardware to a particular service provider, which is what Spotify Connect requires. This is mostly due to Sonos early on wasting valuable development time on services which are no longer around.

As to Spotify growing, growth means nothing without profit. They will never be successful until they are in the black, and until then, they are living on borrowed time like every service before them.

Not all Sonos have an aux in
Sonos long ago made the decision to be service neutral, and to use the Sonos API as much as possible instead of proprietary service interfaces. There have been exceptions, Spotify being one, but they have refused to go so far as to license their hardware to a particular service provider, which is what Spotify Connect requires. This is mostly due to Sonos early on wasting valuable development time on services which are no longer around.

As to Spotify growing, growth means nothing without profit. They will never be successful until they are in the black, and until then, they are living on borrowed time like every service before them.

Twitter is yet to make a profit, and is in no danger of going under. None of this would be an issue, if Sonos would build a decent controller, the sad truth is it's clunky and outdated. You can't even search for a song on spotify by Artist AND track. Come on!
http://www.cnet.com/news/twitter-earnings-q4-2014/

CEO Dick Costolo, facing pressure to rapidly grow the social network, reports Twitter's third straight quarter of profit. Even though growth of monthly active users failed to impress, the stock soars.

So much for Twitter not making a profit. Plus, Twitter doesn't have the artists it depends on for content sueing them for $150 million for non-payment of royalties. Nor does Twitter have Google and Apple in direct competition. Fact is, Spotify is on borrowed time.
I'm confused here. I got this reply from Spotify when I tried to point out their listing of Sonos as supporting Spotify Connect was incorrect:

"We do support Sonos devices with our Spotify Connect feature. However, we're having some trouble with the Connect feature at the moment.

What we suggest is that you reinstall your Spotify app on the device you're using to access your Sonos Device. For a guide on how to get that done on different devices and platforms, please click here .

If you're still having concerns with the Connect feature after reinstalling your app, can you send us a screenshot of the error you're seeing so we can take a closer look ourselves?"

I'm no longer in the location where I was trying to get Connect working - but it seems to me that Spotify say that Connect works on Sonos. Is it categorically the case that this isn't true?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I've noticed recently that the Spotify App on my iPhone "sees" my Sonos-Connect as a Spotify-Connect destination. It cannot successfully connect, but it makes me wonder if there is some development underway to support.
It's ridiculous that this hasn't been added in. I'm thinking it's more to do with being a hardware issue which is why it isn't enabled. Maybe the 2nd gen speakers will have this feature? I bought the Denon HEOS range because it has Spotify Connect and will continue to purchase the HEOS bar and speakers due to their openness.
I just got my first Sonos product, because I was impressed with what I saw in the store. Spotify Connect would make the system infinitely better though, so I'm starting to get cold feet. Maybe I made a mistake getting a Sonos Connect instead of something that supports Spotify Connect.
I'm not sure basing your purchases on Spotify Connect support is the best way to go. Spotify itself just went against its own Connect implementation and threw support to Google Chromecast, something it was reluctant to do. Seems they are not as confident about Spotify Connect being a success as they once were.
Sonos CEO John MacFarlane himself said in a Dutch newspaper in 2014 that Spotify Connect will never be supported by Sonos (https://www.allaboutphones.nl/sonos-heeft-frictie-met-spotify/)

The reason given in that interview is that Sonos has it's own app which is more user-friendly than requiring the user to use different apps for different services.
However, adding support for Spofity Connect doesn't change that, it just gives users more choice.

So this is not the real reason. More likely is that they want people to be tied in with their Sonos platform; if people are used to the Sonos app and have playlists and other items there they would more likely buy another Sonos streamer instead of replacing it with a cheaper Samsung/Philips/etc. streamer.

This is the real fear of Sonos. Once Spotify Connect is supported the Sonos speaker becomes nothing more than a wireless speaker, for which there are many , cheaper alternatives nowadays. Not implementing this feature is just their hopeless attempt to delay this, and at the same time they are annoying and steering away their existing customers. Double Fail!!
Sonos is not "just another wireless speaker", regardless if you use their app or not. If they were, they'd be put out of business by $50 Bluetooth models. Their real selling point is perfectly synchronized playback to multiple rooms. You can only synch their speakers with other Sonos devices, so the fear of someone purchasing other, cheaper brands is unfounded. Besides, you can stream direct from the Google Play Music app, so I'm afraid your analysis is quite lacking.

The real reason they won't do Spotify Connect is because it requires licensing and contracts, and Sonos has always been service neutral.
Oh man. This thread is a thermonuclear bummer. Just got home with about $2k worth of Sonos gear last night...i may be an interesting use case so i'll share details about systems, spotify and sadness.

I currently have multiroom wi-fi systems from Samsung, Play-Fi (DefTech & Polk) and Sonos all set up in my home. I'm a musician/audio professional, and i'm generally of the opinion that there's no way to choose gear without setting it up and using it - so that's what credit cards and return policies are for.

I already have a bunch of high end sound gear - a mixing studio in one room, and a PA with powered QSC monitors in another - but i often don't use them to listen to music for enjoyment because they are often tied up with work tasks (physically or psychologically). So, i want something fun that "just works."

This whole mess started with Samsung R1s being on sale at Costco for $120. I bought three. Easy setup, sounds good enough. Quite reliable as well - mostly used them with Spotify, but a bit of Pandora as well. The problem is with the closed system - no analog line in, and i'm not a huge fan of bluetooth.

Ultimately, I realized the best thing for me would be a system where I could integrate AirPlay, even on a half-assed, ad-hoc basis. I tried out some of the Sony products (X88, etc) and the specs and connectivity options were amazing, but basically it just didn't work well enough. I bet there's a router that it works better with, but I'm not going down that road. This led me to trying out the Play-Fi system (each speaker has an aux line-in) and being pretty happy. With each system, I used Spotify a lot. It's just the most fun and easiest for me...I just want to have the option of sending the audio that's running on one of my pro systems into the wireless speakers as well.

When I came to understand the power of the Sonos Connect, the light bulb lit up. OK, all I have to do is PAY and the problem is solved. Patch in the Airport Express, and done. See where I'm going with this?

So far, I've used the Sonos system for about 15 minutes and I'm figuring I'm gonna have to return it. That's how big of a bummer the Spotify integration is. Spotify Connect, whatever. I don't really care how they do it, but the built-in app is so sad and clunky compared to the latest version of Spotify.

For the casual user, Spotify Connect is a direct competitor to Sonos. For example, on my deck I currently have a Samsung and nothing else. I'm listening to my grouped Play-Fi speakers inside, and when I go outside I just switch to the Samsung from the Spotify app. Yes, of course, not the ideal long-term setup for a fancypants user like me but from a user experience standpoint, a heavy Spotify user could easily buy into multiple systems and unify them with Spotify Connect.

Sonos seems to be betting the farm on being "ecosystem" focused while the hordes of users that will be buying into this marketplace over the coming years will probably be app-focused ("make music app X go into my speakers"). There's probably room for everyone, and maybe I'm wrong.

But, dang. What a bummer. I really thought I'd nailed this thing and so far it seems that the Spotify issue is a deal breaker.
I just bought the new Sonos 5. VERY disappointed to learn that spotify connect does not work.

Previously to listen to spotify I was connecting my phone to old speakers via aux in and I wanted something that would just play the music I select in the spotify app without any hassle. I thought sonos was the answer. Apparently not.
Spotify Connect is a SINGLE device connection for playing music, either over Bluetooth or AirPlay.

The Sonos System is a multiroom, multi-speaker system, for playing music services over wifi. So it's a completely different thing entirely. However, Sonos do offer a workaround to this issue, as mentioned numerous times in various community posts and that's by using an Airport Express, connected to the line-in of either the Sonos Play-5, Connect etc...

That results in Spotify Connect (and other Apps with built-in AirPlay) of then being capable of playing music through each and every Sonos Product (even those without a line-in), using single or combined speakers in multiple rooms etc, or otherwise... So lots of improvement all round for those people who are lucky enough and aim to afford to have a multiroom hifi system in their home.

Personally I don't see the point of using the line-in though, in this case, as Spotify Music is part of the Sonos Services that can be installed anyway, if you are a premium user. Unless people here are just trying to do things in a much cheaper way, in which case Sonos is probably not the type of product they were after to begin with and perhaps their aim ought to be lower and revert back to playing the free Spotify Music Service on a single device (in a single location) over Bluetooth etc.

Personally I would prefer to aim higher and to be one of those lucky people... But TRUE these things do come at a slight cost to us all.

Ken Griffiths
Actually, Spotify Connect has nothing to do with AIrPlay. It is a separate entity, basically a Spotify specific version of Google Chromecast Audio that is built into the hardware.
@Ken I agree with most of what you are saying, couple of points though. Spotify Connect requires a premium sub, so this isn't about using the free service.

Second, for many people the problem with the Sonos interface is that in their opinion they find the features lacking, they want to use the native apps and play to their Sonos from that app. There are posts about this for almost every music service.
Actually, Spotify Connect has nothing to do with AIrPlay. It is a separate entity, basically a Spotify specific version of Google Chromecast Audio that is built into the hardware.

Jgatie ... When I click 'Spotify Connect' in the app. I just get the options for AirPlay or Bluetooth or to Play on the iPad ?... See screenshot. It certainly is not a multi-room, multi-speaker option, like the Sonos products that are available via the Sonos Controller.

Ken Griffiths