Support Spotify Connect to allow users to use the Spotify app as the controller.

• 3 September 2013
  • 366 replies

Userlevel 3
Spotify Connect was just announced and I was surprised that I didn't see Sonos in the list of companies that would provide support. Many Spotify users have been asking for a long time to be able to use the Spotify app as the controller for selecting songs, as it provides a superior experience (you still can't even see the Top 5 songs in the Spotify view within the Sonos app, and it is difficult to look through an artist's collection to find a specific song unless you know which album it was in). Please support spotify connect. Additional details on Spotify Connect are here: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/4688166/spotify-connect-launches-to-stream-music-to-compatible-speakers If you look at the post on theverge, even the first comment was one asking for Sonos support for the feature.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

366 replies

Userlevel 2
Greatly disappointed by how Sonos is handling the issue with Spotify connect. The Sonos systems are great and (though expensive) worth the money IMHO. But the app falls far behind when use of Spotify is concerned. Now with Chromecast audio there is an even cheaper solution (instead of ROCKI) to "stream" to our Sonos devices BUT, SERIOUSLY, do we have to do DO THIS dear gentlemen of Sonos? Then all the minimalistic design is gone, spoiled by an extra device with its power adaptor and some more cables hanging behind each Sonos speaker. This was never how it was supposed to be, right? And this is not what we are paying premium prices for in the first place... I don't get it how well paid managers and CEOs in well known companies ignore their customers and take silly decisions, frequently dooming their companies.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Chromecast Audio dongle works fine with Sonos, giving Spotify users same thing as Spotify Connect. I'm actually glad Sonos did not implement a proprietary method such as Spotify Connect as I think that shows preference to a particular service.

I do think Sonos should integrate Chromecast Audio as it is much more universal now and fits in the Sonos model of pulling from the internet. However, in meantime the Chromecast Audio for $35 handles it just fine into my Play:5 and then my whole system.
I have one Sonos play 1 for about one month now and I think it going to be with that one. They don’t include Spotify Connect and force us to use the Sonos app with is really bad software. The program crashes way to often, the UI is at best mucky and the integration with Spotify is a joke. The only explanation I can understand for not letting us play directly from Spotify is that Sonos is not capable of including the Spotify Connect API. Is there any other reason?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Your opinions. They have chosen not to support spotify as proprietary to them. Something like Google Audio is more universal and new (not available for them to do before)
If SPOTIFY values SONOS customers, SPOTIFY could integrate control of a SONOS system in the SPOTIFY App.
I gave up and bought Heos. Works perfect with Spotify Connect. It is a mystery how Sonos management ignore its customers. Do like me, vote with your wallets.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That's wonderful random user239366. I assume you hang out here because HEOS doesn't have a message board for competitors to come on and bash their product or employees. Hope you enjoy running a music server for local music, having dropouts when your home wifi busy with no independent Sonosnet - best of luck to you. How is the BBC and HLS working for you - since they said they won't support which is obviously a management decision (at least since they have no place for discussion so they don't have to listen to their customers). HEOS just says no and moves on.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Mmm, careful what you wish for. If you look at some of the competitors that have integrated Spotify Connect, they are often restricted to only being able to play one stream of Spotify at a time.

With Sonos you can have say 3 zones each playing a different track from Spotify at the same time.
Today, on the Spotify website, I saw this, "These devices come with Spotify Connect built right in." When I clicked on the link below it, and scrolled through the list, I saw that Sonos Play 1, 3, and 5, were listed. I'm hoping that it is something that is coming soon. http://spotifygear.com/
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Wow - that is truly exciting news ! Unless it's a mistake on spotify's part but it would be a very serious one ! Let's hope they go for a dual solution because, as pknowq mentioned above, Spotify Connect does not allow for different streams in different rooms. Let's hope Sonos introduce this very soon.
That would be great! In that case, I could start recommending Sonos to my friends 😉. It has not happened yet though, if I look in my Spotify app.
Just putting my vote in for Spotify Connect functionality. I do miss using the Spotify App.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't think you will ever see Spotify connect. Now Google cast I think is a maybe ...and that gives you same functionality.
Just bought a Play5 gen2 and I am disappointed that Spotify connect isn't supported. My parents bought a Bose soundtouch system and I now see Bose Soundtouch does support Spotify connect. The Sonos app doesn't work as intuitive as the Spotify app, so I would appreciate supporting it in the future. Using a chromecast audio on the analog line IN in order to get Spotify working feels so old school.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Chromecast to input works no different then Spotify connect. Just set input to auto and it will play anytime you cast to chromecast
Another vote for adding Spotify connect here; only just started the leap into Sonos (currently a heavy AirPlay user). It would be excellent if Sonos could be as slick to use.
I'm selling all my sonos products because of the lack of support for spotify connect. It is a dealbreaker and I will not recommend the system to others until sonos addresses this.

With all the negative feedback due to this single customer request, it is really sad that Sonos has not already added this.
Am I the only one who thinks Spotify won't exist in 5 years? They are still losing money every year, with no relief in sight. They've had to reluctantly add support for Google Cast Audio, which directly competes wit their own Connect. Other providers with very deep products have services that are every bit as good, and getting better with every update. They had a "cool" factor years ago that has worn off for most, IMO. The trendsetters are starting to abandon them, having seen the writing on the wall: http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/22/my-angsty-spotify-breakup-letter/
Aside from Amazon, whose business model is "reinvestment instead of profits" not "lose money to eventually make money", there's never been a company that loses money every year and survives. Eventually the venture capital dries up and the company is sold for scraps. Spotify will be the Pets.com of the 2010s.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes having your investment revolve around Spotify can't be good long term. Flexibility (like Sonos offers) is the only way. Of course that doesn't mean flexibility in addition of chromecast audio wouldn't be welcome to replace something like Spotify connect. But chromecast audio pretty much is Spotify connect for multiple services. So I wouldn't invest in something with Spotify and not chromecast.
Userlevel 1
No support for Spotify Connect? Way wrong move Sonos. Returning my Christmas Sonos Speakers this weekend.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Focused solely on Spotify. Bad move.
Another vote for Spotify Connect support with Sonos systems. The sonos app is a great all rounder but my whole music library uses Spotify and I find Spotify's user interface and queuing system much better than Sonos's. For the high asking price for Sonos systems I would expect this feature to be implemented.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Why does it say built for Spotify (a proprietary service). How about add chromecast audio instead of a system devoted to a single service.
Hi folks, There's not much to say at the moment but we'd like everyone to understand where we're coming regarding the announcement from Spotify. Sonos is a platform for music lovers and we want Sonos customers to enjoy all the music on earth from whatever source they choose. We have an excellent partnership with Spotify which is, and will continue to be, an important part of many of our customers music listening experience on Sonos. Thanks for your continued support.

I have just bought my first sonos product - the playbar.
After 24 hours I'm now gonna return it due to one single issue: the crappy sonos player.
Being used to the spotify app (or any other decent music player) and spotify connect it's like taking a leap 20 years back in time - even the first version of winamp was better. I had high expectations, but now I'm just dissapointed and confused - how can Sonos with their pretty hefty price tags not have spotify connect integration? Also, not listening to the community shows that Sonos just simply don't care what their users think.
Even the most simple streaming product today has real spotify integration...

Mike