Support Spotify Connect to allow users to use the Spotify app as the controller.

• 3 September 2013
  • 366 replies

Userlevel 3
Spotify Connect was just announced and I was surprised that I didn't see Sonos in the list of companies that would provide support. Many Spotify users have been asking for a long time to be able to use the Spotify app as the controller for selecting songs, as it provides a superior experience (you still can't even see the Top 5 songs in the Spotify view within the Sonos app, and it is difficult to look through an artist's collection to find a specific song unless you know which album it was in). Please support spotify connect. Additional details on Spotify Connect are here: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/4688166/spotify-connect-launches-to-stream-music-to-compatible-speakers If you look at the post on theverge, even the first comment was one asking for Sonos support for the feature.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

366 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Hi folks, There's not much to say at the moment but we'd like everyone to understand where we're coming regarding the announcement from Spotify. Sonos is a platform for music lovers and we want Sonos customers to enjoy all the music on earth from whatever source they choose. We have an excellent partnership with Spotify which is, and will continue to be, an important part of many of our customers music listening experience on Sonos. Thanks for your continued support.
NOT A SOLUTION: I like the workaround, but that isn't a solution. Buying a product from another company entirely isn't how Sonos issues with Sonos products are resolved. Furthermore, you have to have the Sonos Connect piece to have line-in. Not all speakers allow for it.

Sonos, I respectfully insist on an update for this. This isn't just a simple request by many of us, but a direct misrepresentation by Sonos. A timeline for your resolution or a true technical reason why this isn't possible should be provided. I invested a good deal of money in my Sonos system and until we receive that update, I will be reaching out to every tech review site through multiple means to explain how Sonos says it's "the best Spotify experience" yet doesn't even meet functional parity. How long has Spotify had Radio? How popular is it? Seriously, your false promises feel like dirty business tactics.

I encourage all to share this thread through social media, by emailing examples to tech review sites and write reviews yourself on places like Amazon.com or for the Sonos app in the App Store.
Hi folks, There's not much to say at the moment but we'd like everyone to understand where we're coming regarding the announcement from Spotify. Sonos is a platform for music lovers and we want Sonos customers to enjoy all the music on earth from whatever source they choose. We have an excellent partnership with Spotify which is, and will continue to be, an important part of many of our customers music listening experience on Sonos. Thanks for your continued support.
I would add my support for this request for built in Spotify Connect - I bought Sonos as a good multi room solution to listening to music, I didn't buy it for it's app (which incidentally is pretty bad - you've not even offered an iOS7 version of it yet) - Spotify for me has become the defacto way to enjoy my music - I don't bother ripping CD's any longer, don't stream from my NAS, don't use any other service... Spotify has won the battle as far as I'm concerned. 

Until Sonos offer better Spotify support I won't be investing in more Sonos speakers - why would I when there are now *better* solutions out there. 

Sonos I would strongly advise you to think on this carefully - you are seriously running the risk of alienating your customers here. Do not underestimate how important Spotify is - if you refuse to add support for Spotify Connect I'll be forced to e-bay my current Sonos solution and look somewhere else for a solution that does...
Sonos, Could you please provide an update on this before Xmas. Thanks Eric...
Agree with Eric, it would be nice with an official update from Sonos on this issue, before I'm investing in expanding my Sonos-system further! 
Thanks
Geir
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
if you read this article:
http://gigaom.com/2013/10/14/sonos-releases-new-200-speaker-ceo-dismisses-spotifys-connect-speaker-p...
it pretty much confirms this is not going to happen.  best we can hope for is Spotify integrate sonos into their app but since that would conflict with their own Spotify Connect solution I think neither will happen and we'll all lose out 😞
My solution was to just stop using Spotify and switch to Google Play All Access. With the Macronos app installed on my phone, it works like a charm right from the Google Play Music app. I know this doesn't solve the Spotify problem, but it has solved my musical frustrations. Just wanted to pass that on.
Nick, I´m not sure if you are right. If you read the second last paragraph in the article. Isn't that a solution to the problem?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
'...simply press a “play on Sonos” button within the app of their favorite service'.  I very much doubt Spotify would add this possibility alongside their own offering which does the very same thing but to competitors speakers and receivers.  Also, the fact "They asked us to participate, and we didn’t" indicates the relationship between them is not exactly friendly.
Userlevel 1
A good solution - at least outside of mobile - would be to have a Chrome App that allows "play to Sonos" button for any music from the browser.

This would mean you could use Spotify web version, and finally play Youtube to Sonos as well. And Soundcloud and [insert whatever music service you use here]

That to me is the best solution as its a one fixes all rather than having to persuade Spotify etc to include functionality in their native apps.

I hope that this is what the CEO is referring to in this article - if not please can you add that to the development queue sir?!
It sounds very much like the Macronos app that lets you do that straight from Google Play Music. That would definitely solve the problem and I cannot wait until they release this feature!!
Userlevel 3
I wish Sonos would start to build their Software the way their customers want it and not how they want their strategic blabla to be. But I guess they won't participate in Spotify's turnover when we listen through the Spotify App...
"Asked about the Spotify initiative, MacFarlane told me: “They asked us to participate, and we didn’t.” He went on to argue that it made little sense to tie speaker systems to the brand of a single music service, joking that stores like Best Buy shouldn’t have separate aisles for Pandora speakers and Spotify speakers." - Gigaom - http://gigaom.com/2013/10/14/sonos-releases-new-200-speaker-ceo-dismisses-spotifys-connect-speaker-p...

Not sure if you ever noticed this, but your posts throughout the thread are now shown to be painfully incorrect.  I hope this provides some perspective for you in the future, as I believe that you were very convinced Spotify, not Sonos, was at fault.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Sometimes I think the ask website here is a way to outsource complaining so companies can ignore it when they want. I believe I have the email format for Sonos employees and some contacts below.

Sonos CEO: john.macfarlane@sonos.com
Pres COO: phil.abram@sonos.com
VP Sales/Marketing: thomas.cullen@sonos.com, tom.cullen@sonos.com
Quality Control Director: kim.sutter@sonos.com
Consumer Marketing Manager: laura.cook@sonos.com

Sonos, I respectfully insist on an update for this. This isn't just a simple request by many of us, but a direct misrepresentation by Sonos. A timeline for your resolution or a true technical reason why this isn't possible should be provided. I invested a good deal of money in my Sonos system and until we receive that update, I will be reaching out to every tech review site through multiple means to explain how Sonos says it's "the best Spotify experience" yet doesn't even meet functional parity. How long has Spotify had Radio? How popular is it? Seriously, your false promises feel like dirty business tactics.

I encourage all to share this thread through social media, by emailing examples to tech review sites and write reviews yourself on places like Amazon.com or for the Sonos app in the App Store.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Sometimes I think the ask website here is a way to outsource complaining so companies can ignore it when they want. I believe I have the email format for Sonos employees and some contacts below.

Sonos CEO: john.macfarlane@sonos.com
Pres COO: phil.abram@sonos.com
VP Sales/Marketing: thomas.cullen@sonos.com, tom.cullen@sonos.com
Quality Control Director: kim.sutter@sonos.com
Consumer Marketing Manager: laura.cook@sonos.com

Userlevel 2
Sonos did a great job until now Alex. I miss your opinion about the change of Spotify logon with the Facebook account. I think this hysterical connections with Facebook inside every app is out of all proportions. I get hundreds of messages about how far all my friend and connections are on the trillions of small games via Game Center, get all the snapshots and what kind of movie they all watching - and now also what kind of music everybody is listening to, from different sources.... Do I need to know every little movement from over 500 people every day?  
I use our Sonos system in our Academy and stream music from our NAS to the all the different rooms with my iPad. Every minute a message arrives about somebody did take a picture, did watch a movie or listen to some particular music. Who actually cares? What is Spotify hoping for? Producing just more Spam every day? Sonos is a serious company to me, producing quality products - Spotify is more chasing after exactly the same popularity, like so many other apps are also do right now. Until it gets pretty annoying and then Sonos and all of us have to change everything again....
John, the following things disturb me about your response:

- It contains no substance
- It fails to address the question
- It spits out the oligatory "all the music on earth" slogan. Now is not the time to celebrate your marketing cliches
- There is no follow-up to the barrage of responses

I too paid a lot of money to buy into the Sonos ecosystem on the merit of the hardware and the integrated experience and had planned to expand. There is an implicit expectation that comes from a solid vision along with high quality hardware that the company "gets it" and is worth the investment.

However, it feels like something has changed. The company is failing to be responsive to customer requests and to keep up with technology, does not respond adequately to questions on ask.sonos.com and keeps us entirely uninformed about plans for improvements and upgrades. I'm disappointed because Sonos has fallen short of my expectations compared to the day I bought it. It's almost like the company is secretly in trouble, so they've scaled back on R&D and focused on marketing instead to keep revenue coming, hoping it'll help them through whatever trouble they're in. I conclude all this simply from the way you respond, John. And I'm beginning to wonder if I made a mistake.

I'm certainly not expanding my system until I see evidence of continued innovation. Right now, the company is too quiet and it makes me nervous.There are far too many unanswered open requests and far too few product developments.
Badge +1
I feel just like you. Maybe the owner just got too rich and doesn't care anymore how the customers feel.
Badge +1
I feel just like you. Maybe the owner just got too rich and doesn't care anymore how the customers feel.
Userlevel 1
I think that we are over reacting. Sonos is a quality product, that is meant to be an open platform and not an exclusive Spotify product. Spotify is an aggressive company, look at the way the want to force you to use Facebook. Sonos doesn't force us to do anything. Second I think that the main reason for the outages we have had in the past, are mainly caused by the way Spotify communicates and plans technical modifications to their streaming services. The lack of communication between the two companies causes that Sonos is always one step behind. And what do we do? We blame Sonos, while it is at least the responsibility of both companies to keep the system running. Third, Spotify is relative expensive, compare it to Netflix. So if Sonos starts cooperating with Google, to develop a new universal standard for streaming music, compatible with current products, than I would prefer that in the long term above Spotify.
who cares who is right or wrong? That sucks that spotify doesn't work with Sonos. Personally, I do think Sonos is expensive and has a lousy app. For what I know, it is Sonos who doesn't want to work with Spotify. If you don't like Spotify, fine. But Spotify is awesome to me.
By the way, I thing Google is the most agressive company in the world. And to write this comment, I was ask for my facebook account. Who is kidding who?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Its the last weekend before xmas and I need more speakers. I already have 3 Sonos products and I want to buy a soundbar, sub and upto 4 more speakers.

Please provide us an update... even if its just "No, we will not support Spotify Connect"

I can then make a decision on what brand to purchase.

Please.

Thanks
Eric...
I have several friends talking about buying Sonos. I was the first one to to so and bought a Sonos system. But not beeing able to use Spotify the way I need (i would prefer using the Spotify app), I can't recommend the product. We have several spotify accounts, and only one can be used, and the sonosapp for spotify limits me and my family from enjoying the use. I am sad that Sonos prevents us form listening to music, rather than supporting us. Please add support for multiple accounts and the use of the spotify app. PS: I have read about an unofficial way of adding several spotifyaccounts. But I do not want to try this in case i damage the Sonos product. But does this mean it is possible?
I must say I agree with Martin
I have just purchased a Sonos Play 1, Connect and Bridge for our house after much consideration
My wife and I have different Spotify accounts - can we add these separately to Sonos?
Also, I love the Spotify radio application - Sonos does not allow this. When will this happen as it will definitely add to the experience.
At this stage a number of my friends are backing off from investing in Sonos for these reasons
If these issues are rectified I'm sure they will invest in your excellent product
Happy new year!!Cheers
Sonos and Spotify are booth usefull Systems which till now aimed the customers needs. The current development of both systems without cooperating forces me to decide against one of them.

The current Spotify-integration in Sonos is not state of the art. The advantage of spotify against other music streming services for me are the comfortable ways of discovering new music. A workaround with an additional wifi based device attached to a line-in does not satisfy me. Therefore now I am evaluating other music services and other devices. One of them is going to loose me as their customer.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Try putting SONOS into Google news today...

Panasonic launches Sonos competitor
LG challenges Sonos with new home audio streamers 
Samsung takes aim at Sonos with expanded multi-room audio lineup 
The Secret Sauce Inside Pure's Sonos-Like Internet Music Speakers 

I really hope you Product Marketing team know what they are doing

Starting to look like you will become the next blackberry...
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
interesting that Samsungs wireless soundbar incorprates DTS !