Answered

Support for SMB v2 or v3

Userlevel 3
With all the recent reports and issues with the WannaCry ransomware I wanted to restrict use of SMB v1 on my home network. My NAS blocks this to the outside world but I wanted to secure things internally as well. I can configure the NAS to not support SMB v1 but this then prevents the Sonos controller app from seeing the share. When will Sonos support later versions of SMB? I had seen another thread on this somewhere and it sounded like it wasn't going anywhere. Is it possible to get an update on this please.
icon

Best answer by Phil.Coleman 15 May 2017, 20:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

110 replies

Ah, I see. You're just spamming the boards in order to make a point. I get it. I'm sure Sonos will look at each post as a separate request.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Why would it prompt any action by Sonos?

Most folks don't care.
Most of the few folks that do care have dealt with the problem already.
The grief in supporting SMB 2/3 would not result in enough more sales to make it worth doing.
Adding SMB 2/3 would likely move the older Sonos speakers and players closer to obsolescence triggering another CR-100 mess.
Ah, I see. You're just spamming the boards in order to make a point. I get it. I'm sure Sonos will look at each post as a separate request.

Spamming is the use of messaging systems to send an unsolicited message (spam), especially advertising, as well as sending messages repeatedly on the same site

Airgetlam - just for your information.

Spamming is the use of messaging systems to send an unsolicited message (spam), especially advertising, as well as sending messages repeatedly on the same site

Airgetlam - just for your information.

And you are repeating the same post over and over on a site.
Why would it prompt any action by Sonos?

Most folks don't care.
Most of the few folks that do care have dealt with the problem already.
The grief in supporting SMB 2/3 would not result in enough more sales to make it worth doing.
Adding SMB 2/3 would likely move the older Sonos speakers and players closer to obsolescence triggering another CR-100 mess.

I agree this would not create sales, but really people should care. This is part of a wider issue of Internet connected device security.

And having a moan makes me feel better after spending two hours trying to "fix" access to my music library following a Freenas update that removed support for the outdated protocol SMB1

Normally I would have moaned about this elsewhere (Freenas forums in this instance), but this is a SONOS issue. Mess or not they should be working out how to get rid of SMB1 to allow NAS users to use Sonos without a "workaround" which either lowers the security of my network or requires me to move my entire library onto an alternate storage location.

The overall point is exactly what you have touched upon - The older Sonos speakers are moving towards obsolescence.

How Sonos as a company and owners like myself deal with this is perhaps a discussion for a new thread?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you find yourself needing to care there are much better things to care about than Sonos and SMB v1.

I'm glad you aren't worried about older Sonos gear being made obsolete to cater to a few folks quibbles. I on the other hand feel that my investment in older Sonos gear (new when I got it) is better served by Sonos not bricking it.

Starting a new thread to tell Sonos how to spend their money seems like another great idea, that may upon reflection have some shortcomings.
My vote on SMBv3 support: +1
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If Sonos enables SMB v2/3 support what kind of rebate program do you think they should offer for folks that have their Sonos gear obsoleted by the update?

Close to 90% of the original Zone Players and Gen 1 Play 5s are still in service if I recall correctly, that is going to be a LOT of rebate checks or deeply discounted new devices. Gonna hurt the bottom line pretty bad.