Support for Mac volume buttons?!

• 30 November 2018
  • 4 replies

Hi there, I just bought the Beam and was trying to put the Spotify volume up, using the volume up/down buttons on my late 2013 Macbook pro. I am using the newest version of Mac OS Mojave.

Sound is good, but this missing feature is a drawback. It als sucks that you have to use an additional Software like SoTubes or hardware like Chromecast to listen to youtube music...

Is there a software to make the volume buttons work?

Thank you!

Matthias

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi there, I just bought the Beam and was trying to put the Spotify volume up, using the volume up/down buttons on my late 2013 Macbook pro. I am using the newest version of Mac OS Mojave.
It doesn't do exactly what you want, but take a look at 'Menu Bar Controller for Sonos' -- available in the macOS app store. I find it quite convenient.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/menu-bar-controller-for-sonos/id1357379892?mt=12
Userlevel 1
Apple has tightened the Privacy settings around these keys. Fortunately, the solution is straightforward:

1. Open System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy
  2. Unlock the settings with the lock icon in the lower-left
  3. Select Accessibility from the source list on the left
  4. Add Sonos to the list if needed with the + button
  5. Make sure the checkbox for Sonos is checked
  6. Restart the Sonos app

Now the keys will work with Sonos—no extra software needed. (h/t joshkarp in another thread.)
[quote=nk9]Apple has tightened the Privacy settings around these keys. Fortunately, the solution is straightforward:

1. Open System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy
  2. Unlock the settings with the lock icon in the lower-left
  3. Select Accessibility from the source list on the left
  4. Add Sonos to the list if needed with the + button
  5. Make sure the checkbox for Sonos is checked
  6. Restart the Sonos app

Hi NK9 - thx for you post. Unfortunately Sonos had all the settings you are mentioning above already. It is still not possible for me to use the Mac volume buttons... any idea why?
While I can't explain the "why" behind it won't work (as I'm not an engineer), I can tell you that this is a feature request that I've seen come through from time to time. As a Mac user myself, I can see how this would be very convenient. Especially if it were to make use of the Touch Bar on newer MacBooks.

Either way, I am happy to tag this topic as a feature request and forward this along to the team for consideration and visibility. Thanks!