Super User/Administrator

• 7 December 2014
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15
  • Headliner I
  • 1032 replies
Currently I have the PlayBar and two Play 1's in the living room, and this week I will be installing two Canton 845's speakers in the bathroom to the Connect Amp. Later I intend to add more Play's/Amps around the house.

We all have iPhones in the house and once I get the bathroom wired up I would like to install the controller app on partners and step-sons iPhone's so they can play music when having bath, however I do not wish them to be able to play with settings on my set-up, like base, equaliser etc.

So I would like to see a Super User/Administrator setting that allows me to manage what level of access or control they have on the sonosNet, maybe give Super User/Administrator control on what zones they can access, what functions they have per zone etc.

I'm happy for them to use it but I know from experience that the Mrs isn't tech savvy and will delete my surrounds downstairs without knowing it, or the lad will turn the base up in the bathroom and blow my £350 speakers - so maybe I'm alone but I think a Super User/Administrator option on the controller would suit my needs and be a great feature.

Can't see if this has been asked for before and if so sorry but think this would be a good idea.

11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Great idea. I would love to have this.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Can a sonos rep please promote this thread and can others reading it give it a like (+1) if you think it's a good idea.

After 5 hour up 'n' down in the loft today wiring in the bathroom speakers and connect amp on the landing, it's all up and running and straight away I thinking "No you can't play with it, I'll stick some tunes on while you're having a bath"
definitely a must for me!
Please do this, Ladders and ethernet cables all day 😞 its all working again for now!
Agreed, the Administrator is also have control over which user has access to which device. This way if I am in my home office, on the phone, no one else can turn-on the speaker (if they do not have permission to).

This is a simple idea used throughout the IT industry, SONOS should implement it as well.

A similar idea is the use of profiles. Right now everyone in a system is on one profile. So my daughter, who has many channels and songs, is shared by everyone in the house. In addition all of us have our own pandora accounts. I only have a few music channels I listen to. If a Profile system was utilized, my profile would only show my pandora, my music and my channels. This would make it easier for me.
A similar idea is the use of profiles. Right now everyone in a system is on one profile. So my daughter, who has many channels and songs, is shared by everyone in the house. In addition all of us have our own pandora accounts. I only have a few music channels I listen to. If a Profile system was utilized, my profile would only show my pandora, my music and my channels. This would make it easier for me.

You do know you can add multiple Pandora (or any other service) accounts, and have your personal controller default to your account, right?

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3070/kw/multiple%20accounts#var_1
This is my first purchase. I was unaware there is a personal controller. Where can I find it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
This is my first purchase. I was unaware there is a personal controller. Where can I find it?

Follow the link jgatie provided and select "How do I add another account? "

Your personal controller would be your phone/tablet/whatever you personally use to control Sonos. So your phone/tablet would have your Pandora account as default. Your daughter's phone/tablet would have her Pandora account as default, etc. The link above provides directions for adding multiple accounts to the system and setting a personal default for each device.
Thank you.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings