Summed Stereo (Dual Mono) option on Sonos App for Connect Amp devices setup

• 1 November 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge
Is there any way to implement Summed Stereo (Dual Mono) to each of the Connect Amp output channels via software? I honestly don't know if it is even possible and for this reason I still have hopes. I currently have 2 separate outdoor zones (each one controlled by a different Connect Amp). When the speakers are relatively close to each other (like I have on my "Patio" zone where the ceiling speakers are 10ft apart) having separate stereo channels are not such big of a problem but when you have speakers far apart (like in my "Pool" zone where the speakers are 30ft apart) it becomes a major issue when listening to some musics. To be quite honest, even in my Patio, if you stand or sit right under one of the speakers, you don't have to be an audiophile to realize you are missing "some" of the content being delivered to the other speaker, and that is bothersome. But when you can barely hear the other speaker (due to its distance, like I have on each end of the pool) you realize that you are listening to only "half" of some musics, especially the ones which vocals or specific instruments are delivered to only one of the channels, and this would drive anyone nuts. I would love to hear from SONOS whether this issue is in their roadmap to fix one day. I know SONOS has just lauched the new Amp and Dual Mono is one of its features, but I really do not consider upgrading my hardware because of that. Lastly, if the control on the new Amp is done via software, it does not require a genius to re-use the new code implemented on the older firmware versions.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Maybe you could do something with impedance matching transformers or swap out your speakers for dual voice coil ones and feed them both channels?
Badge
Maybe you could do something with impedance matching transformers or swap out your speakers for dual voice coil ones and feed them both channels?

I appreciate the suggestion. However I am not so willing to add more components to my setup and not even considering swapping my speakers. My Sonos devices (connect amps) are located in a recessed On-Q panel inside my closet along with modem, network switch, tv & internet cables, etc. I am not consider installing an amp or a transformer that may be a fire hazard since the panel is not the most vented environment. My pool speakers are not protected from the nature elements. For this reason I have chosen the Bose Free Space 51. They can stand the most extreme weather conditions and sound awesome. The software update would resolve it in a snap (touch) of a finger.