Suggestions for the next release

• 6 September 2013
  • 27 replies

Please consider the following suggestions for the next release: 1.) Add a Search function within the "Queue" to enable us to search for a track, artist, or album without having to scroll up and down to find the song we want to play and without having to re-add the song to the queue, thus creating duplicates. 2.) Related to suggestion #1 above, if we do add a track that's already existing in the Queue, it would be nice if Sonos tells us that it already exists in the queue to prevent duplicates and give us an option to play it now or play it next instead without having to add it to the queue again. 3.) When selecting "Replace Queue" from the drop down list, it would be nice if Sonos reverts back to the old design where it did not automatically start playing the songs in the queue. That's what "Play Now" and "Play Next" are for. Thank you!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

I'd like a fade in so I can specify the time it takes for the music to get to the desired volume when using my sosnos system as an alarm.

For example I want my music to wake me having the music go from volume 0 to volume 4 in 4 minute (or whatever length of fade in I desire).
Hi
I have 4 play 1, 1 playbar and 1 subwoofer
2 of the play 1 is created as stereo pair and the other 2 is as surround speaker for my 5.1 setup

i wish the sonos software can easily swop my 2 pair of play 1 function when i move to my bedroom to watch my movies

it is quite troublesome to remove my surround and then set up the stereo pair in my bedroom again.

really a wish list for me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Set the music playback option to "Full" in the 5.1 set-up options. Music will be pretty much the same as if you had a stereo Play 1 pair
Hmm what I meant was setting two profile for my 5.1 for two rooms so I won't need to keep repairing my play 1s to act as surround

Profile A: Two play 1(C+D) in living room + sound bar (A) and sub (B)
Profile B: Two play 1(E+F) in bedroom + sound bar (A) and sub (B)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I imagine the trouble of lugging the Sub and Playbar from Living Room to Bedroom trumps the inconvenience in the app!!
I don't need to move my soundbar and sub. My tv console can rotate. Thus the request.
Userlevel 2
Please consider the following suggestions for the next release: 1.) Add a Search function within the "Queue" to enable us to search for a track, artist, or album without having to scroll up and down to find the song we want to play and without having to re-add the song to the queue, thus creating duplicates. 2.) Related to suggestion #1 above, if we do add a track that's already existing in the Queue, it would be nice if Sonos tells us that it already exists in the queue to prevent duplicates and give us an option to play it now or play it next instead without having to add it to the queue again. 3.) When selecting "Replace Queue" from the drop down list, it would be nice if Sonos reverts back to the old design where it did not automatically start playing the songs in the queue. That's what "Play Now" and "Play Next" are for. Thank you!
Userlevel 2
YES, YES, YES! I have over 300 songs in my playlists and can never find a song when requested. Just a sort by artist, and or song (or a search) would be awesome. Please add this!
Userlevel 1
Badge
How about any serious UI enhancements at all?
Badge +1
I now have Sonos in every room - it's great. I've ironed out the niggly problems and I am completely happy with my music experience........except in the computer room. My music library is stored on the computer and I can play through my expensive computer speakers. I can't listen to whatever is on in the rest of the house though. I don't want to spend more money buying another Sonos product and render my computer speakers obsolete but I am suffering from disappointment every time I walk into the computer room and the music around the rest of the house is not playing. Is it possible to get Sonos to include my computer as a room and play through my speakers too ?
Is it possible to get Sonos to include my computer as a room and play through my speakers too ?
If you mean 'could Sonos turn the desktop controller into a media player', then no. To do so could lead to commercial Armageddon, as free software would quickly be ported to all manner of cheap hardware platforms thereby cutting off Sonos' revenue. Besides, it's generally accepted that software running on a general-purpose computer could never maintain tight sync with other Sonos hardware players.

If your computer speakers are so expensive, treat them to a Sonos CONNECT. If that strains your wallet too much, pick up a used ZP90 (or even a ZP80) off eBay.
You know what I'd love (right now, this is a problem for me)....

A method by which I could tell all of my speakers to get new IP addresses, rather than going through the potentially painful process of having to shut everything down, and then reboot one item at a time. I've just replaced a router in my home, and I'm experiencing conflicts (although not so much with the Sonos, I think).

This may be more of a "build it into the router" thing, though. I've got too many devices in my home, many of which can't be "turned off", like a garage door opener, a door lock and a thermostat, not to mention 2 logitech harmony One pucks, two TVs, and 19 speakers. Oh, my gosh, I forgot the Hue lighting system, although maybe I can consider that as a single device?

I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and assign reserved IP addresses for all of the things I can, just so that they don't conflict. But that will be tedious as well, collecting all the MAC addresses, etc. Oh, well, the price I pay for replacing my router.

Since this is one of the most frequent processes suggested to resolve "missing speakers" or "skipping songs" or "not finishing songs", it would be great if there were an easier way to do it.

But I sure can't think of a way to include this in the app. Perhaps there's someone on staff who knows more about networking than I do who could create a "force an IP release and change" feature.

So maybe this weekend, I'll spend the 3 or 4 hours required go through the discovery process and reserve my IPs 🙂 Ah, wifi networking. The voodoo magic that is the bane of my existence. Or perhaps more appropriately said, the science that I don't quite understand completely.
A method by which I could tell all of my speakers to get new IP addresses, rather than going through the potentially painful process of having to shut everything down, and then reboot one item at a time. I've just replaced a router in my home, and I'm experiencing conflicts (although not so much with the Sonos, I think).
A router replacement is all too likely to trigger IP conflicts anyway, unless you reboot/reconnect every device on the network so as to acquire new addresses. Moreover if the router uses a different local subnet prefix and/or gateway address from the old router then devices won't work properly at all until assigned fresh address info.

Reserve IPs, and conflicts should become a thing of the past. As for Sonos reboots, simply fire off a series of http://x.x.x.x:1400/reboot URLs. If they're on SonosNet, start with the outermost nodes (the 'leaves' of the 'tree') before moving back towards the root. This can be automated by working through the nodes in descending order of STP root path cost.
How about seperate eq settings for souround sprakers.. It bugs me that they have to use samme setting as the play bar. Also please let me aply trueplay to rear speakers.. They sound pretty lame as it is
Userlevel 1
Badge
i want to be able to modify the room grouping function so you can group rooms but then decide which room the speakers are active in .. basically i want to maybe 3 connect amps into one set of speakers .. i have speakers on the patio and the sound is too low
i want to be able to modify the room grouping function so you can group rooms but then decide which room the speakers are active in .. basically i want to maybe 3 connect amps into one set of speakers .. i have speakers on the patio and the sound is too low
This post has already noted how totally unfeasible it would be to direct speaker-level signals to other components via the network.
I would like to use Geo location, based on time, a grid for maybe 30m away from home play this list... but after 23:00 hours no music... you get the point.
I would like an email or text notification if sonos Pandora stops playing or loses connection. In a restaurant or commercial setting, it is sometimes difficult to know when the music stops.
Hey Sonos Team

Please could you synchronise the current list of tune to sonos controller or at lest ad last play date column and last ad colomne to the apple music explorer. The focus is to continue the iphone outside listening coming back home.
I would submit the following enhancement request: When displaying Music Library, on multiple disc albums display Disc #, for example:

Disc 1
Disc 2

This way in a large box set it would be easier on the eyes...

Also I like the queue search option described above...

Bob
- Allow Sonos playlists to be locked or protected somehow. Presently it is too easy for any user to overwrite a playlist.
- Maybe take a step back and unclutter the UI. I volunteer my wife, a technophobe, as tester. If you can make it easy for her, any user will be able to operate the UI.
When I receive a call on my smartphone, I want there to be a button next to the incoming call that allows me to Mute my music / Sonos before answering the call.

Can you please work this out with Apple and Android (Google)?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I very much doubt that would ever be possible on either operating system. The Iphone and Android phone do not know the Sonos is playing, it just knows the app is running. Adding buttons to native phone apps would be down to Apple/Google
On Android use the lockscreen controls or the swipe-down notification to pause the music, then answer the call. I need to do this from time to time.

I've no idea what happens on an iPhone.
There is a 3rd party app called Yonomi that can be setup to do this. You can setup a routine that will be triggered by a phone call starting or ending, and then you can set the action to mute one or more of your Sonos rooms.