Question

Stream Music Directly from Third-Party App? (Google Play Music on iOS)

I'm a longtime Android phone user and switched back to iPhone recently for work. The first thing I noticed is that when I open my Google Play Music app, the 'cast' icon is gone and I can't connect to my Sonos speakers directly from the Google Play Music app. This was one of my absolute favourite features, because I find the Sonos app to be very difficult to navigate when linked up to third-party services. For instance, none of my album art loads (which makes navigating much more difficult) and all of my artists are split up a million ways (especially my hip-hop music... ASAP Rocky is now forty different listings like ASAP Rocky feat. so-and-so).

Are there any plans to bring this direct-casting ability to other services outside Google Play Music on Android? I'd even be willing to switch music services if it means I can avoid the Sonos app altogether.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'm a longtime Android phone user and switched back to iPhone recently for work. The first thing I noticed is that when I open my Google Play Music app, the 'cast' icon is gone and I can't connect to my Sonos speakers directly from the Google Play Music app. This was one of my absolute favourite features, because I find the Sonos app to be very difficult to navigate when linked up to third-party services. For instance, none of my album art loads (which makes navigating much more difficult) and all of my artists are split up a million ways (especially my hip-hop music... ASAP Rocky is now forty different listings like ASAP Rocky feat. so-and-so).

Are there any plans to bring this direct-casting ability to other services outside Google Play Music on Android? I'd even be willing to switch music services if it means I can avoid the Sonos app altogether.

Hi Jfisher,

We don't have any plans to share regarding the addition of casting from other music services to Sonos. While we don't comment on possible future products or features, we do take note of requests. We'll submit a feature request for you.
This topic of having direct play from third-party services (like Google Play on IOS) to Sonos has been discussed for well over two years. I have been searching the message boards for any information and response from Sonos consistently is "we don't comment on future products or features, we do take note of requests...".

I understand the party-line, but this feature has been available for Google Play on Android since 2014 and so it makes the rest of us, just for simply using a device that supports another OS, get very unhappy that we do not have the same feature. As good as the Sonos App is, it does have its warts when you are paying monthly for a music service. I cannot easily change my online Google Play playlists while listening - I gotta switch back and forth on my IOS device which is a real pain. (There are many other good reasons that others have posted).

The fact that Sonos hasn't done anything about this is making me think to stop investing in my Sonos system (buying new components) and looking at MusicCast from Yamaha, or get tighter integration with my Samsung TV and get some more of the Samsung products - because there is benefit in going in that direction - they continue to improve their quality, are cheaper and are becoming real options to invest in. There are so many more choices for streaming music, and if Sonos is not going to respond to this simple request, you are really going to start to lose customers.

Can you please at least share what the issue is on enabling direct play from third-party apps (like Google Play on IOS) since you've already enabled it for Google Play on Android? This is what makes it so maddening, who exactly is holding back this feature?

1. Is it Apple because they want customers to use Itunes (and pay for their service) and Airplay?
2. Is it Google because they want people to buy an Android device to fully use Google Play with Sonos on the apps? We are already paying them $10/month for Google Play access...
3. Or is it Sonos for an unknown reason...?

If you could at least tell me it is NOT Sonos holding back this feature, I can go bark up those other trees (Apple / Google).

Thanks.
It is quite illogical to think Sonos is purposefully holding back features from iOS that they have released on Android due to things under their control. There is absolutely no benefit to Sonos to withhold something like this from iOS devices. Much more likely the restriction lies with Apple, either because iOS cannot do it, or because Apple restricts this type of casting to Airplay devices only.
Makes sense and I agree, but I just haven't heard someone from Sonos say that. 🙂
Makes sense and I agree, but I just haven't heard someone from Sonos say that. :)

And you won't. Sonos tends to keep these things close to the vest, especially when they are artificial restrictions. They may tell you that the lack of Trueplay on Android is due to non-standard mics in Android devices, but they aren't going to say anything about Apple restricting casting to anything but Airplay devices. So we are left to speculate.
I wish i could play directly from ios podcasts and pandora apps without having to use bluetooth (I tend to walk out of bluetooth range but stay in wifi coverage)
Userlevel 2
Get a chromecast and hook it to line in one one of your devices
Good idea on the chromecast unfortunately according to this cnet article http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-set-up-chromecast-using-your-ios-device/#! it only supports netflix and youtube on iOS
Good idea on the chromecast unfortunately according to this cnet article http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-set-up-chromecast-using-your-ios-device/#! it only supports netflix and youtube on iOS

Even worse news, that is a Chromecasr, which requires a TV. The Chrimecast Audio does not support YouTube, because like Sonos, audio only streamers are not allowed by YouTube, even those made by the parent company of YouTube. You need a Bluetooth adapter.
I have to agree that this is very annoying.
I much prefer the native apps like Google Play Music etc. than going through the Sonos app (which is less intuitive and doesn’t remember library’s and history). Not to mention the fact that you can’t go seek or go back a track in the Sonos app when using Google Play Music. But, I digress.

I agree that the chromecast + aux In is the way to go. I used to have this with my previous speaker, and I could, for instance, stream videos and sport on my kitchen monitor and play the sound through the speaker. This also let me cast directly from all my favorite apps.

Since I only own the Sonos One (I live in a small apartment) I don’t have this option anymore as it doesn’t come with a line in jack... again, very annoying.

Guess there’s not much for us iOS guys and the future isn’t looking bright either.