Stream any Audio Output of your iOS device to your Sonos system

• 26 October 2013
  • 5 replies

I'd like to see a feature which allows you to stream any audio output onto your Sonos system, e.g. use the audio of the YouTube, SkyGo app or any game you play. That would be quite neat.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Yes please, it's dumb that we have to go through the sonos app to queue things up. This should just work like an AirPlay speaker.
Agreed, like how Bluetooth works
If only Apple would implement it! Now that Sonos has written the API and worked with Spotify to ensure it is stable, it just remains for Apple to implement it in their software.

Too bad it's not in control of Sonos. Sonos may be slow as molasses, but at least they do support this community, and I don't think Apple does nearly as much to support its community.
And, on further thought, it'd be harder than you think.

Spotify is just a stream of data from the internet, which Sonos taps into. Data directly from iOS (or any other OS, for that matter) is a whole 'nother thing. I tend to forget that the magic that is Sonos really sits in the Speaker, and not in the app. When I'm playing music, my app is just a remote control, like with my TV, and all the actual work is done by the speaker, reaching out to grab the data.

It might be complex for Apple to grab any stream coming from the device and send it to the Sonos ecosystem. But that's why I have bluetooth speakers, exactly for that use case.

I guess they could grab the data being collected by either Airplay or Bluetooth, and push that out through the wifi signal, but I still suspect that would be a chunk of code. And not much benefit to these large companies. As I said, if it were in Sonos' control, we'd probably get it. Too bad it isn't.
Couldn't you put the Play 1 on it's own network using an Airport Express and use AirPlay? Just a thought haven't tried it yet. :?
I do love that it's not a Bluetooth speaker. Bluetooth is very limited and sound quality isn't there.