Stop S2 compatibility check banner

Userlevel 2

Please, I have a system that I share with my family including children. I have some older android tablets do not support S2, and if one of my kids clicks ‘upgrade to S2’, those devices will no longer work. 
As others have asked, let me permanently turn off the prompt to check S2 compatibility. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This has been solved in multiple other threads, and it disables it at the household level ie no-ones phone will prompt again once disabled.

Userlevel 2

Maybe solved multiple times, but no longer works. And I did check every other thread.

Running latest iOS app S1 11.2.5 and Sonos OS 11.2.4 on S1+S2 compatible device.

See attached screen shots. No option to disable. 
Also note Update Automatically is off, yet the prompt appears. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Click Learn More. The official route is (non obvious):

System→System Tools →System Compatibility Check → Learn More → Continue Using S1 → Confirm

Userlevel 2

The attached image is what I get when I go to ‘System→System Tools →System Compatibility Check’. There is no ‘Learn More’ only options are ‘Update automatically’ and ‘Update now’

There is an option to ‘System→System Tools → Learn More’ but it just opens a web page and no option to ‘Continue using S1’

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You sure there’s no button under Update Now? Looks like you are using an iPad in landscape mode, I would try portrait mode. It wouldn’t be the first time an important button has fallen off the bottom of a Sonos screen.

Userlevel 2

Nope, same thing on my iPhone. Thus the reason for my post. 
Sonos changed something. 

I may need an S1-only device on the network. Sonos may be determining all S2 capable devices, so force upgrade. 

Userlevel 2

What version of the app/OS are you running?

Userlevel 2

@Sonos please provide a way to permanently hide the S2 upgrade message on networks with S1+S2 capable devices. I don’t want to upgrade, even though all my devices are S2 capable as I have Android tablets/phones that won’t run S2

Userlevel 2

I second the OP... I have set my system to not upgrade (I too have older equipment that I do not care to get rid of) yet I routinely get notifications that I should update to S2 l. Please just stop the banners and system checks. This is becoming a major turn-off.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@controlav I’m in the same boat as well - the options you suggest are not present in my Sonos S1 app on iOS 14.4. 

Userlevel 2

And here it is AGAIN…

No matter what settings I choose... This banner comes back in a few days. Sometimes it is a pop-up for the "system check" for upgrade.

Badge +17

And here it is AGAIN…

@Robótico, this isn’t a message to upgrade to S2. We released an S1 update yesterday to fix some issues - performing this update will not upgrade you to S2.

Userlevel 2

Thanks, James. I stand corrected.

@controlav I’m in the same boat as well - the options you suggest are not present in my Sonos S1 app on iOS 14.4. 

Strange, I see the ‘Not Now’ option on my screen to decline the update and the message then goes away, but maybe it’s a controller issue, or the fact I have S1 only products?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Sonos support personnel have stated in another topic that the S2 nag notification will not be cleared for users with only S2 compatible hardware. 

So there you have it. They are intentionally leaving the annoyance in S1.

Sonos support personnel have stated in another topic that the S2 nag notification will not be cleared for users with only S2 compatible hardware. 

I think that seems fair enough, personally speaking, particularly as their whole system is S2 compatible and it offers more features.

Having used both S1 & S2 for a while now there seems little point sticking with S1, if you are able to upgrade all to S2. It’s certainly where my Sonos Home system will be heading in the next few months or so.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I think that seems fair enough, personally speaking, particularly as their whole system is S2 compatible and it offers more features.

Having used both S1 & S2 for a while now there seems little point sticking with S1, if you are able to upgrade all to S2. It’s certainly where my Sonos Home system will be heading in the next few months or so.

It may offer new features that are useful to some users, but I’m not sure there’s anything special about S2 for me. I don’t use Airplay, I don’t use Alexa or Google assistant, I don’t have a Sonos home theater setup, I just listen to Pandora and Spotify and some MP3s off my computer.  Can you explain some of the new features? 

It may offer new features that are useful to some users, but I’m not sure there’s anything special about S2 for me. I don’t use Airplay, I don’t use Alexa or Google assistant, I don’t have a Sonos home theater setup, I just listen to Pandora and Spotify and some MP3s off my computer.  Can you explain some of the new features? 

🤔...erm, just very briefly, off the top of my head…

• Much easier/faster device setup
  • HD audio (Sonos Radio as an example)
  • 5Ghz and 2.4ghz WiFi connections for newer products
  • WPA3 Support
  • Local controller groups/Improved System Tab
  • Personally speaking I’m also hoping to go onto use Roam (and it’s new SoundSwap feature) etc.
  • Easier WiFi Network switching features

However even if a user did not want any of these things, they could switch to S2 and perhaps not notice too much of a difference anyway, even if they they don’t need the features mentioned. 

I suspect some users might not even realise some of the differences, as it appears many things are either ‘under the hood’ or just slightly more ‘polished’ in their appearance, compared to the old S1 App. 

I find the new S2 App navigation, perhaps a little quicker too and certainly more stable when doing system software/firmware updates.

So that’s why S2 seems a better option to me than S1 and why if I was in the position to upgrade all, then I wouldn’t personally hesitate to upgrade to the S2 remote device controller.... Oh and no ‘upgrade nag screen’ too ha ha 😂

Userlevel 2

So here's the suggestion to update again.

Starts with the banner

And then this screen, which I've been through many times 

And finally this one. My request is, once here I'd like an option for "Never suggest upgrading to S2 again". 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Buy a cheap piece of S1 only kit, add it to your system, do the "Compatibility Check" for S2 (and fail it) then you should be able to chose to stay on S1.

I've just added a ZP90 and it's got rid of the incessant nagging to update to S2..

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Why not just update to S2 when all you have is S2-capable hardware?