Stop nagging about S2!

• 28 December 2020
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Every time I login to Sonos it nags me to check for S2 compatibility.  I know full well I have perfectly functioning components that are not compatible with S2.  Why do you have to nag me every day??

15 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @brymills.

Thanks for reaching out, let me check it for you.

To avoid this prompt, I recommend turning off the S2 update reminders. Using the Sonos App, go to:

System > System Tools > System Compatibility Check and complete the prompts to stay on S1.

Let me know how that goes.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi, the “Learn  More” is just a link to the Sonos support pages.

Sonos is 11.2.4 running on iOS 14.2 if that makes a difference.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @brymills.

Thanks for the response and my apologies for the confusion.

I understand that you keep on getting a prompt for the S2 update though you have the S1 system with players that are all S1 and not compatible with S2.  I recommend the following steps:

• Update your S1 Sonos app to the latest version from the App Store/Play Store using your mobile device.
  • Please ensure that the System Compatibility Check on the S1 app was completed as advised above. Head to 
    Settings > System > System Tools > System Compatibility Check and complete the prompts to stay on S1.
  • Check for updates. On the S1 Sonos app, head to Settings > System > System Updates > Check for Updates

>If the products are already up to date, you should see no update is available.

>If the products are not up to date, it should update properly to the latest version of S1.

Let us know how that goes.

Great sound, a carnival of ****

Moderator note: removed offensive language

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @Annazel S is there any update to how to remove the nagging “it’s time to update” message that can’t be cleared?

I have the same problem. There are 2 Connect Gen 1’s on my system which are supposed to be incompatible but the app keeps insisting that I upgrade. There is no promts or options to stay on Play 1. There is ‘update automatically’, or ‘automatically now’.  I checked to be sure I had the latest version of S1. 

I have the same problem. There are 2 Connect Gen 1’s on my system which are supposed to be incompatible but the app keeps insisting that I upgrade. There is no promts or options to stay on Play 1. There is ‘update automatically’, or ‘automatically now’.  I checked to be sure I had the latest version of S1. 

Just FYI, assuming your Connects are not compatible, you’re getting the notification to update your other equipment that is compatible with the S2 system.  If you did upgrade, your playbase and play:5s would upgrade, while the Connect stays on S1.  You would have a split system.

That said, I agree with you that the prompts are just annoying. It’s been a year, everyone knows about the option by now.

@TLLK . Are you being asked to upGRADE or upDATE?

When you say you checked you were on latest S1 version, how did you check?

This is so lame and so ripe for a class action lawsuit instead of the ludicrous 30% off a $700 amp to replace a gen1 Connect amp that works entirely fine and is already paid for.  Sonos and discussion gurus know exactly what the problem is yet just drag, for months and months and months.  Open S1 app that is as recent a version as yesterday and see “Use Sonos S2 app. You can control all your products using the S2 app. Some of them need an update-open S2 to get started” superimposed over the controller screen so that (in my case) nothing post Connect can be accessed. As you know, no remedy in the “Open Sonos S2 app”, “More Options” or the ever entertaining “Learn More” buttons, and no access to settings in S1 because of the superimposed message. Yes, S2 updated, yes, all S2 devices working properly, yes, both S1 and S2 uninstalled and S1 only installed, yes all S2 devices recognized, yes, yes, yes, you know the answers. What would you like to ask us now?

For the love of all that is good in the world, PLEASE stop nagging me about S2. Yes, I used the compatibility checker and selected “not now” to upgrade. The nag goes away for 1 day and comes back the next …. It’s annoying. I’m never going to upgrade, stop asking.

@newspoontee

I must just be lucky then, as my S1 App (v11.2.9) hasn’t nagged me to upgrade in ages. Maybe it’s because I have a mix of S1 only - and - S1/S2 compatible devices setup within an S1 Household, with automatic-updates switched off. Although I do have a separate S2 HH besides, but that’s on an entirely different Household ID and Sonos Account entirely.

I can’t recall the last time the S1 App bothered me in the way mentioned. 

Correct: I have S1 and S2 comparable products. It asks me repeatedly. I go through the “not now” process every few days when I get tired of being nagged, it goes away but always comes back. Couldn’t be more annoying. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Did you all get to the "Stay on S1" option and click it on the compatibility checker?.

I actually bought a piece of S1 only kit just to fail the test for S2 and touch wood I haven't had anymore annoying messages.

There is a recent S1 update so may be worth checking that out, possibly that has also dealt with the S2 messages?.

For everyone complaining about this prompt across several threads:

Sonos is well aaware this prompt is annoying and that is by design. What they’re doing is engaging in what’s called a Dark Pattern — this is when software is designed to manipulate or frustrate the user into a decision that favors the software maker. 

It’s super unethical and gross, but Sonos has apparently concluded they can get away with it. I’m sure on one level they aren’t exactly happy about pissing people off, and it’s possible some of the PMs have reservations about this design decision, but in the end they want money more than ethics and so this is where we are. 

It’s disappointing but not surprising given some of the other decisions they’ve made, particularly around the S2 upgrade and bricking devices. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Is this just your conclusion or were you at the table when Sonos management allegedly decided to do this?