Answered

Stereo Pair Play 5s - concert hall echo effect/sound signature

• 16 March 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge
I have a pair of Sonos Play 5's in stereo pair. They sound really good. However, i noticed there is a concert hall echo like effect on them in the signature of the sound. I kind of like that effect to be less... especially for the vocals.

With the stereo pair in horizontal position, the effect is the strongest. I like the sound stage in horizontal position a lot, but the concert hall echo is strongest in this mode.

With the stereo pair in vertical position, the effect is still there but far less. But the sound stage is not as enjoyable in vertical position.

I have a pair of Play 3s in stereo also, and I do not have this concert hall like sound signature. They also sound great, btw.

Can I do anything about that concert hall sound effect on the Play 5s? Or any setting I am missing? Anyone else notice this effect or is it just me?
icon

Best answer by Kumar 16 March 2018, 03:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

If you have not done this already, do Trueplay tuning on them by borrowing an iOS device if you don't own one and see if this addresses the issue.
Badge
No IOS device, I am strictly Android and Linux.
Borrow one. It takes less than 30 minutes. It may fix the issue because the tuning involves listening to sound emanating from the speakers and then tuning them for best results based on that.

Alternatively, you may need to move the speakers. Add about 15 inches of clearance to the walls surrounding the speakers if possible and see what happens.