Spotify Hardware Volume Control

• 3 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

There’s something I don’t know I believe. Would someone answer me if they know?

Using iOS 15.2

Had Sonos for years - no issues generally.

Signed up for Spotify, haven’t used them since maybe 2008 before Sonos.

SO, I keep Hardware Volume Control toggle off- it is greyed out, not black. I don’t like having to constantly to adjust volume between phone alerts and music.

All works fine with all other services on Sonos- Pandora, Apple, Sonos etc.

However when I play music from Spotify service, even though my Hardware Vol control is set to off, adjusting the volume using hardware buttons on the side of the phone changes the volume!

Even though in the Sonos S1 app it is turned off. If I end the Spotify, and switch to Apple for example, all is well. Buttons do not change volume settings of music.

What is up with Spotify- how does it hijack SONOS settings like that??

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I don’t use Spotify, but once you have started playback on Sonos using ‘Spotify Connect’ perhaps try simply closing the Spotify App. I suspect the music will continue to play, but the closed App will then not interfere with your mobile device volume controls. Hope that works for you.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I shut down the Spotify app, Sonos app, and even turned off WiFI, and the volume control on phone controlled the Sonos speaker volume. It’s really weird!! Can’t figure it out

I shut down the Spotify app, Sonos app, and even turned off WiFI, and the volume control on phone controlled the Sonos speaker volume. It’s really weird!! Can’t figure it out

Is that after "sliding the Spotify App up & completely off-screen” on your iOS device to fully close it? 

If I do that normally with any App, my phone hardware buttons revert back to controlling the phone volume and ringer tones etc. I’m just ‘politely’ wondering if there is any chance at all that you might be minimising the App, rather than ‘perhaps’ closing it fully🤔?