Answered

Split local music and audiobooks

• 12 October 2019
  • 4 replies

In Sonos I have the Music library, which in my case is linked to a samba share folder in which I have my music. And whatever is added in the Music library shows up in the selection "Music library" when selecting a Music Source.

How can I also add my audiobooks (also available as files on a samba share) to be easily available when selecting a music source?
I can of course add them to my Music Library, but then Music and Audio Books will be mixed up. Is there any way to have a nice split between these two fundamentally different categories?
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 13 October 2019, 12:49

You might be able to do what you want with either a Windows Media Server and enable access to the server in the app settings, “Settings/System/Media Servers”, or possibly see if a Plex Server can do these things for you.

i don’t really use either, so not sure if either will give you what you want, but worth a try, perhaps?
View original

4 replies

I have put my audiobooks in a separate folder/path/library to my main music library and then in the Sonos App I can see them separately via the 'Folders' option in my 'Music Library' See screenshot. I simply go into the Audiobooks folder path to see my titles, separate from my music.

Hope that assists.
thank you for the advice. this what i already have. id just prefer to also have the other slice&dicing options (e.g. by artist by album).

also it would force me to put all my music in the same main folder, which i currently dont do - i have seperate folders for flac and mp3. i have this because of my backup scripts (as i handle them differently).
You might be able to do what you want with either a Windows Media Server and enable access to the server in the app settings, “Settings/System/Media Servers”, or possibly see if a Plex Server can do these things for you.

i don’t really use either, so not sure if either will give you what you want, but worth a try, perhaps?
thanks for the hint.