Speakers keep dropping off

• 31 July 2021
  • 2 replies

I know, another thread started with this topic.  BUT…

This is a LARGE installation, over 15 Sonos devices, in a very large home installation.

On a Unifi Managed network.  I know EXACTLY the status of the six WiFI APs that are finely tuned for exact coverage in a intentionally designed network.

I can SEE the Sonos devices on the network.

I can see 82-99% signal strength of the sonos devices that the controller (and app) can’t see.

The Sonos devices fall out of the Sonos network, yet remain on the WiFi network uninterrupted.  The EdgeRouter maintains the IP addresses of the missing Sonos units.  The MANAGED network works flawlessly for 75+ other devices on it, and SONOS is the only devices that ever have a problem.

This forum is full of advice that basically says turn off all the Sonos devices and reboot your network router.  This is a ridiculous solution to advise customers to do constantly to resolve issues with your equipment.  And for those of us with large Sonos systems, and, as crazy as it sounds, a router that is used for more important things than Sonos, it’s just ridiculous to need to constantly do this.

The Sonos equipment in this installation does have mixed old and new devices, so runs S1.  But Sonos does not have the replacement S2 compatible equipment available for purchase.  The Port won’t ship until after Thanksgiving for instance!

And with all these problems, WHY would I recommend my customer to invest MORE in a system anyway?

I know you have no solution.  This has been a problem for years.  I guess I am looking for a final solution other than never recommend Sonos to my clients again….

~ A very frustrated customer

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

If you’re going to persist with connecting Sonos to the Unifi APs they must be configured to permit multicast traffic to flow unimpeded. Even so, the use of different 2.4GHz channels could well compromise Sonos performance in groups (and stereo pairs) as units attaching to different APs may not be able to intercommunicate directly.

To be honest it would probably be a lot more predicable if you took the Sonos off the WiFi, wired at least one unit, and let Sonos organise itself on its SonosNet dedicated wireless mesh. 15 devices is actually not that large an installation.

With SonosNet, wire as many units as is practical. If you have some poorly covered SonosNet areas, you can add wired or wireless BOOST(s) to improve SonosNet coverage. Be sure that your managed network ports are set for STP, not RSTP. If you have a cluster of units, such as a pile of AMP’s in a rack, you should wire all of them and turn OFF all but one radio.