Question

Speaker change to pool area

• 5 June 2017
  • 7 replies

Taking a sonos one to pool

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

I have playbase and two speaker ones in great room ..wanted to switch a one speaker to pool but it tells me tv sound will be canceled..wife said I can't hear tv so I get no sound by pool !!:((please advise and note I wanted amazon music while she watched tv..please be detailed thanks..Bob
Sounds like those two Play:1s are bonded to the Playbase as surround speakers. It is indeed possible to unbond them, but it's a bit painful to do. Not hard, just a lot of keystrokes to do it for temporary use. I'd recommend getting yourself another Play:1, which you could the "group" with the living room speakers, and get TV sound where you want it. Note that the sound from a grouped speaker with a playbase will have a slight delay, but as long as it is not in the same room as the Playbase, you won't notice.
One caveat, though. Sonos speakers are not designed as outdoor speakers, so you wouldn't want to leave it outside. No reason to not carry it out there and plug it in while you're out there, though. Just don't let it get splashed.
Thank you Airgetlam....I ' mind getting another speaker...but more than likely she will be watching tv as I am out at pool...Are you telling me I can not listen to amazon music or other source while she watches tv independent of the one speaker?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
So there are three things you can do with your speakers. Bond, Pair and Group (see below for link) Four if you want them to be stand alone.

Is this case you have "Bonded" the PlayBase and the two Play1s (you can add a Sub later for 5.1). Once bonded the speakers act as one and the PlayBase hands out the duties to each speaker. Bonded is not intended to be done and undone easily. In your case the bonded Play1 is either the L or R rear of the PlayBase for TV and you will not get all the sound with it alone in another room.

Pair is L and R stereo pair (has to be the same model) again not intended to be undone easily

Group, So In my house when listening to music I group the whole house and it sounds great. This is temporary and can be easily done and undone. In your case if you had another speaker you could listen to anything you want including the TV.

Bond

Group

pair
One caveat, though. Sonos speakers are not designed as outdoor speakers, so you wouldn't want to leave it outside. No reason to not carry it out there and plug it in while you're out there, though. Just don't let it get splashed.
Correct, but they do stand up to extremes of very hot, very cold, humidity, wind etc. I have had a play 1 on my patio since 2015 without any issues...I have not splashed it though