Question

Sorting tracks for classical compilations

Despite setting the PC controller to sort tracks by track name, not number, tracks continue to be grouped by number, which is a problem for classical CD collections, as first movements are all listed first, then second movements, etc. How can I fix this? I am accessing tracks on a networked NAS drive. I have tried re-indexing the whole drive.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello,

The sorting is based on the IDTags of the tracks. I would suggest then to access your music library now via Artist/Album/Tracks but by the 'Folder' section. I will appear sorted as it is in your music folder.
Thank you, but accessing albums via the 'Folder' section is time consuming.  I have developed a better solution, which is to create a separate Sonos Playlist for the affected set of CDs, and then manually sorting the tracks into the correct order within the Playlist.  Manual sorting is also possible in Sonos Favourites.
I cannot understand the purpose of the "Sort Folders by ..." option in the Music Library Settings if, as you say, sorting is always based on the IDTags - if they use track numbers, it is therefore impossible for Sonos to sort by track name to over-ride this, so why give users the apparent option?
Thanks for your reply.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
M Whalley wrote:

Thank you, but accessing albums via the 'Folder' section is time consuming.  I have developed a better solution, which is to create a separate Sonos Playlist for the affected set of CDs, and then manually sorting the tracks into the correct order within the Playlist.  Manual sorting is also possible in Sonos Favourites.
I cannot understand the purpose of the "Sort Folders by ..." option in the Music Library Settings if, as you say, sorting is always based on the IDTags - if they use track numbers, it is therefore impossible for Sonos to sort by track name to over-ride this, so why give users the apparent option?
Thanks for your reply.

The option is working fine and I would like you to make a screenshot of the different tracks and folder containing your music. Then I could have an overview and let you know what could be the the specific reason it is not working.
Would you mind sending it to me ? Thanks
M Whalley wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

Pierre

See screen shot attached.  I confirm that my Music Library Advanced Settings are set to sort folders by Track Name and that I have reloaded the whole Library since setting it that way.  As you can see, the tracks are not sorted by Track Name but apparently with reference to the original IDTags on the basis of track number.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
M Whalley wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry but the screenshot seems to be missing.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
As the Album is the same and you have 6 different discs the Sonos system will not make a difference between the discs. Three possibilities then:
- Access the albums via the 'Folder' section and add discs per discs the complete collection (if the discs are in different folders)
- Change the IDTags for the Albums from 'The Complete Piano Sonatra' to 'The Complete Piano Sonatra Disc 1' for exemple.
- Order the Queue and save it as a playlist for next time.

The Sonos system will not be able to make a difference otherwise.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings