Sonos works fine over AirPlay from iPhone and iPad ... but not on desktop Mac. How to fix it?

• 24 November 2018
  • 8 replies

Badge
Really confused by this. I can play music over AirPlay from my iPhone or iPad to my Sonos just fine. MixCloud example here:

But on my Mac (which is on the same - and only - wifi network) iTunes and Spotify can find it but no sound comes out of my Sonos,

In iTunes, if I set it to play sound out of both my Mac's internal speakers and my Sonos, sound only comes out of the Mac not the Sonos:

Other apps such as QuickTime Player can't find Sonos at all:

Under System Preferences - Sound - I can correctly see my Sonos Living Room group.

I have of course restarted all devices & the computer. All software is up to date.

What do I need to do to get my Sonos working on ALL apps on my Mac? i.e. (1) sound playing on the ones that can find it and (2) finding Sonos in all desktop apps.

Setup:
Sonos One & Sonos Play:1 (grouped as "Living Room")
iMac 27"
iPhone 8
iPad 6

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Is your Mac running OS 10.13.6 or highrr, as required for Airplay 2?
Badge
Yes, 10.13.6

I am puzzled, although I don't use Airplay so I am not best qualified for this one. But Sonos is not designed to be 'seen by every app'. And one of your screenshots shows Spotify Connect being used. If you are using Spotify Connect, where is Airplay supposed to come into it in that case?
Badge
Am not clever enough to understand that!
Sorry if that wasn't clear to you
Having the same issue trying to play a radio station through sonos from mac. Have restarted everything. Submitted diagnostics: 994262115
Same problem here. Airplay2 via iOS is working, but not on Mac with 10.13.6
Same problem here. Airplay2 via iOS is working, but not on Mac with 10.13.6
That's because Macs aren't capable of Airplay2 (with the exception of iTunes); further, you should upgrade to macOS 10.14.1.