Answered

Sonos Windows app UI issues

Userlevel 1

Hi,

The latest update brought some significant UI bugs. When I move mouse over UI controls they disappear (see attached screenshot). It works for all controls including menu and text boxes. Items may reappear if I move mouse very slow. But it’s unpredictable. I tried to reinstall the app with no success. I must mention that I’ve been using the Windows app for quite some time and it was always working fine. I use the latest (fully updated) Windows 10. Please help.

Thanks,
Dmitry

icon

Best answer by DmitryK 22 August 2021, 10:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Just tried this and it seems fine for me.  Windows 10 Version 21H1 and Sonos S2 Version 13.1.4

Have you checked if your Display Driver is up to date?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sounds very much like a video driver problem, or possibly a WPF issue. Sonos aren’t changing this code at all.

Userlevel 1

Sounds very much like a video driver problem, or possibly a WPF issue. Sonos aren’t changing this code at all.

Theoretically it can be caused by recent Windows or NVidia drivers updates, but it affects the Sonos app only. If it was a driver problem it would affect other applications too.

Just tried this and it seems fine for me.  Windows 10 Version 21H1 and Sonos S2 Version 13.1.4

Everything is up to date.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Theoretically it can be caused by recent Windows or NVidia drivers updates, but it affects the Sonos app only. If it was a driver problem it would affect other applications too.

Everything is up to date.

Check when the video driver was updated. I am guessing the answer was recently, and you should try rolling it back to the previous version.

That fact that you haven’t noticed other apps misbehaving means little. Sonos use WPF for the UI, and if you don’t run any other WPF apps, or if other WPFs apps use different controls then the repro may well be exclusive to Sonos.

I say again: Sonos are not going to change their UX in the Desktop apps. This is a system-level problem, somewhere.

Userlevel 1

I say again: Sonos are not going to change their UX in the Desktop apps. This is a system-level problem, somewhere.

I am not asking to change the UX or a technology it’s based on. I’m fine with it. I still can use the app, but it’s definitely not as enjoyable as it was before. I am just reporting a problem I have and want to make sure that devs know about it and fix it in next releases. On the other hand, if I’m the only person facing it, the problem is on my PC.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I think we all appreciate you have a problem but none of the 1000’s of other Sonos users have the same issue otherwise it would be all over this community page.  Then again maybe this is a new one about to hit others.  We’ll soon see.

Userlevel 1

Reinstall of NVidia drivers solved the problem. Thanks for helping!

Well I have the same problem now. Also Nvidia driver.

I have had so many issues with this Sonos app. Crashing when searching too fast, using special characters - the list is long! Sonos is annoying me as f… Even though THIS might be driver related.

The driver was installed a week ago, and no other programs have this issue. But Sonos.

I have tried to reinstall the driver, but that didnt help for me (also clean install of GPU driver)

UPDATE: Now I uninstalled ALL Nvidia drivers and restarted windows. Issue still there...

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Try rolling back to a previous version of the nVidia driver?  I would guess this is an Nvidia issue, the Sonos Windows app itself has not been changed for some time.

As for the other issues, have you reached out for help here?

Try rolling back to a previous version of the nVidia driver?  I would guess this is an Nvidia issue, the Sonos Windows app itself has not been changed for some time.

As for the other issues, have you reached out for help here?

I tried with the newest Nvidia driver: v. 471.41 and rolled back to v. 466.63 of Nvidia drivers. Still the same issue.

What worries me, is the problem is there without any GPU drivers installed.

Given the fact that Sonos hasn’t been mucking about with the software for Windows, I’d suspect a potential bad install of some software and/or drivers along the line. I’d certainly try deleting and reinstalling the Windows controller for Sonos itself, since you’ve already done the video drivers, but I’d also double check Microsoft’s updates to be sure all other aspects of the OS are up to date, including .NET. 

Given the fact that Sonos hasn’t been mucking about with the software for Windows, I’d suspect a potential bad install of some software and/or drivers along the line. I’d certainly try deleting and reinstalling the Windows controller for Sonos itself, since you’ve already done the video drivers, but I’d also double check Microsoft’s updates to be sure all other aspects of the OS are up to date, including .NET. 

I uninstalled the Sonos app multiple times and installed even an older version of it to be sure (had a version from April and one from June in the download folder). Both versions fail. Windows 10 is fully updated, no updates available. It seems weird. 

Might be time to contact Sonos directly, then, and get passed beyond the first line of customer care, as I suspect they’ve not got the knowledge necessary to assist.

Or, frankly, contact NVIDIA, since this doesn’t appear to be an issue for any other video card/driver combination….and in fact seems to be unique to your specific setup, as the OPs situation was resolved by a reinstall of the driver. 

Might be time to contact Sonos directly, then, and get passed beyond the first line of customer care, as I suspect they’ve not got the knowledge necessary to assist.

Or, frankly, contact NVIDIA, since this doesn’t appear to be an issue for any other video card/driver combination….and in fact seems to be unique to your specific setup, as the OPs situation was resolved by a reinstall of the driver. 

I did some uninstalling random programs. Im not sure wich one caused the problem (it might be the Python coding programs). Sonos works again here now.

Thanks guys.

So as I am fom Germany, I want to tell you that also here we have the same problems.. I have a Radeon RX580 and thats a AMD-Chip, so its not only a problem of Nvidea.  I don't know which combination is to blame, but at least it only affects the Sonos application under Windows 10.

I think it’s just a Problem of Sonos and only they can help, maybe wrong dll’s, Framework etc..

Thanks

Userlevel 1

I just want to inform you that I found a proper solution to this issue. Reinstalling nVidia drivers solved it only temporary. 

The solution is removing Sonic Suite applications which came as part of ASUS ROG package. After removal Sonos perfectly works.

Here is some information for whose who is interesting in details: https://github.com/dotnet/wpf/issues/707

Hi @DmitryK 

Thank you for the information! As for me, I uninstalled Sonic Suite and everything was fine.

thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Wow that is some impressive slueth-ing @DmitryK 

Once again ASUS produce something to interfere with Sonos users. After their router fiascos, now they are installing software that breaks how apps render to the screen.

The Alienware Command Center from Dell also installs the nahimic service and can cause the same UI problem.

completely re-installing the Alienware Command Center application can resolve the issue. disabling the nahimic service removes sound options from the AWCC, but also resolves the UI problem.