"Sonos was unable to add the music folder"

• 12 August 2013
  • 57 replies

Hi Just installed Sonos and can stream radio etc fine. However I can't seem to add folders to my music Library. I'm trying to add a music folder that's on my internal hardrive and I keep getting the message "Sonos was unable to add the music folder, Reason: The computer "BATEMAN-Laptop" cannot be found. Thanks, Matt

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

57 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi Matt, Do you have a firewall installed? If so, please have a look at this guide on how to configure your firewall software: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/692/~/firewall-and-internet-security-software Keep me posted on your progress.
I had the same problem and disabling the firewall makes it work, but I can't figure out how to change my settings so I don't have to disable it. My firewall isn't listed at the link (PrivateFirewall). Can you advise me as to what type of setting I'm trying to change? Or is there some permission I need to grant? Thanks!
Gunnar, This is still an issue. has anyone found a solution?
Userlevel 2
I have this problem now. no firewall.
I'm having the same issue but I'm running OS X Yosemite as I'm beta testing it. Sonos may want to look into Yosemite as something in the new OS doesn't allow Sonos to share the Music folder I keep getting denied. I even tried manually.
In my situation, we had two network connections to the iMac for business reasons. We disabled one, plus the wifi, and the music folder seem to map. Not sure why Sonos cannot map a local folder with two network connections.
I'm having the same issue but I'm running OS X Yosemite as I'm beta testing it. Sonos may want to look into Yosemite as something in the new OS doesn't allow Sonos to share the Music folder I keep getting denied. I even tried manually.
Same issue here, is Sonos fit for Yosemite?
same here 
me too
I moved my music folder to a new user account on my mac so that I could delete the other user. I've tried adjusting the permissions, repairing the permissions, checking for firewalls, etc. and I can't re-add the same folder to my Sonos library. Please help!
Userlevel 2
Yosemite definately a no go. Everything else works fine but no access to library.
Userlevel 2
Yeah same issue here. We may need to wait until Yosemite is officially released before we can expect full compatibility and support. These are the risks we take running beta...
This just cropped up today, win7 64bit sp1, music folders on one internal drive, three folders were added effortlessly at setup, another folder on a USB attached Drobo was added as well, now I can't any other folders and the existing ones are no longer accessible.  I've tried with both the windows firewall on with ports open and firewall off on private networks.

Sonos bridge via Ethernet on the wireless router, pc attached via Ethernet to wireless router, Sonos playbar and sonos 5 attached.....Help..
Same problems here. Sonos controllers aren't seeing the local file, or the machine in general that it is installed on. Can't connect with networked drives either. Regardless of security settings. I thought 5.1 was supposed to fix this?
I am on 10.9.4, and having the same issue
Windows 7 64 bit. Same issue. No resolution.
Userlevel 2
I had a similar problem (after upgrading to PC controller 5.1). I have two libraries on an external hard drive, and one library on my internal (C:\) drive. The libraries on external drive played without any problem.
When I tried playing a track from the library on internal drive, I got a message that the file could not be opened. I (temporarily) disabled my firewall ... problem remained.

I deleted the library from PC controller, and then tried to re-add it. Got message that Sonos was unable to add the library.

Without boring you with the details, I finally found this page:
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/266

I followed the instructions, and the problem was solved ... I was able to re-add the library, and play tracks from it.

I used the ERROR-900-fix.reg script (downloaded from the above-mentioned page), and I followed the instructions to restart the Server service (which also caused the Browser service to be restarted).

Hope this works for others having a similar problem.
I have OSX 10.9.4 and still can't add the music folder... what should I do??
Hi Gunnar, I have a Mac with Retina display running OSX 10.9.4 and I just can't add the music folder from my iTunes... I already turned off the firewall and I still have the problem. Please I need some help. I have both Play5 and Amp Connect...
Well, as of the latest version of Mac Yosimite, the Sonos app now works. It now finds the default Music folder. Takes a while to index, but it's working.
Using a PC and followed every instruction. I can add individual folder but not add the entire library at one time .
Userlevel 2
John,

It has been awhile since I added libraries (and the restriction may have changed), but from what I remember, the music library can only be a "top/first level" node. For example, these are ok:
//myServer/MyMusic
c:\MyMusic

And these are not ok:

//myServer/first-node/second-node/MyMusic
c:\first-node\second-node\MyMusic
Just upgraded to Yosemite. Sonos took a dump. Not only can it not read the library folder, but it doesn't even recognize the computer. 

Get this shit fixed SONOS.
I have the same problem and I have turned the firewall off!! is there a solution?
There appears to be no solution, and none forthcoming. I have stopped using Sonos completely. If you are a Mac user, you are on your own. The last conversation I had with Sonos was I needed to call them on the phone from my home during their business hours and then give them access to my Mac to fix the problem. Basically, if you want to use a Sonos, get a windows machine.