Sonos upnp servers

Badge
Since a recent app update, when I use my upnp server with my Sonos system, the seek bar no longer works on the Sonos app. The desktop app does not show any seek/time information at all, the iOS and Andriod app show the time of the track, but not the remaining time or the seek information. I have tried several other upnp servers and they all act the same. So I do not believe the issue is with my upnp server. Is anyone aware of a way to resolve this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Flex2019. Welcome to the community. As the only outlier here is the upnp server, and given that this has not been reported by anyone else or changeable by any settings, I think it may be the server. Perhaps another community member will be able to advise, if you can tell us what the name and version of the upnp server is? Thanks.
Badge
Hi Edward, I have tried a few servers, they show the same problem when controlled via the Sonos app. My primary servers are via foobar2000 & media monkey. When I use these servers with other devices on my network they work perfectly with time information and being able to seek through the track etc.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
What format are the files in? There were some issues with Seek on FLAC files in the past (I think).
Badge
format is FLAC, I have however tried some mp3's this evening and the same result occurs
Same problem here and no the problem is not with the media server. The problem is with Sonos. The media server works fine when I stream music to a phone or tv.

Seems a recent update caused fast forward/rewind aka seek along with the track time display be unavailable. See the image of what I'm talking about. The song is actually playing right now via media server and this is what it looks like on desktop.

This is same whether FLAC, ALAC, MP3 or Vorbis is being played. I am also unable to seek or see times on the android application. This always worked in the past and seems to have disappeared around two months ago.

I am able to seek when streaming from pandora, google or spotify. While streaming it also shows the time as normal.
Badge
Looks like you have the exact same issue derGauner
Sonos just updated yesterday, but did not fix this issue. I have a feeling this will never get fixed because I've noticed the fanboys who are very active on these threads always say, "just use the sonos media server". Well, here's the thing, the Sonos media server doesn't work for me. Amazing how I can stream songs with 5 year old android 5.1 phone from my media server and be able to SEEK/FF/REW, yet with an overpriced sound system (Sonos) I'm unable to SEEK/FF/REW.

This was never a problem before. A Sonos update broke it.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
This was an issue before for WAV files, where seek, track times etc simply stopped working/were no longer displayed. Hasn't been fixed. Back in the good old days 'pre Spotify' robust support for WAV and other music files was what all the 'local library' people wanted, and what Sonos delivered (ahem except Ogg, oh, and APE too)

For sure, when I lost the 'seek' functionality on WAV it was on files/rips that were 10 years old, being accessed over a network share. So absolutely NO chance of it NOT being Sonos....

My guess is that perhaps Sonos buy in 3rd party software libraries as part of the product and that these are gradually seeing compatibility issues??

Hello, did this ever get resolved?  I seem to be having the same issues with a out of sync playbar to the music, and a tempermental play/pause button whether I’m using music on my NAS or Spotify?

Thanks

Hello @ChrisSC. Thanks for reaching out. I understand that you are having some issues with audio being out of sync, as well as an unresponsiveness when you send a command, particularly the play/pause button. Does this happen on the computer application, or on your phone or tablet? 

Is the Playbar itself falling out of sync, or are speakers grouped to it falling out of sync? 

We would like to have you submit a diagnostic of your system and reply back with the confirmation number. This will allow is to see how your system is functioning, and help provide a resolution.

Badge

Hello,

Can someone show me how a Upnp should show in the IOS Sonos App?

I still try to detect a Naim Unitiserve that acts as Upnp server on the network, and even after selecting “Upnp” in the Sonos app, I still don’t see the Naim server anywhere on the app.

My Sonos system is made of 2 Sonos One wire connected to my network.

All my other network systems see as Upnp and can play music from the Naim Unitiserve (Sony PlayStation 3, Naim hifi system from different room, computer...) except Sonos system.

I tried to disconnect and reconnect everything (Sonos, network, Naim...) still nothing is showing in Sonos App for Upnp.

If someone can help me please?

Thank you in advance.

Badge

Trying to share picture.

Badge

Badge

Badge

As one can see, UPnp selected, but no UPnP media appearing in the possible selection.

I tried as well with Media, but still the same.

The Sonos app is running on an up to date IPhone X

Badge

I finally got some help from a different forum that I can share here.

I have been advised to use the Mconnect App (on my iOS mobile, but should exist as well on Android), and to use it as interface to manage music from my network to be played on whatever player in my home.

and it works!!!!!

I can see all my different players connected (the main Naim Nac-272 in my living room, the Mu-so Qb in my bedroom, the 2 Sonos one (1 in the kitchen and 1 in another bedroom).

I can see also the Unitiserve as a music storage. I can browse through it and I can send whatever music I want to whatever player I want.

when you start to play one title from an album, then the rest of the album will be played automatically without the need to take each title.

You can build playlist as well.

I was wondering how music was traveling from my Unitiserve to the different devices (Bluetooth via my mobile? WiFi? UPnP?...) and when checking which input was set when playing a music on my living room gear, it was UPnP!

Great! So I suspect Sonos software on mobile is not fully well made to read the music from UPnP devices. Maybe an update in the future?

It’s sad the solution to this is not using Sonos’ own software--it’s a shame bugs like this are just ignored by Sonos. I will answer your question: they will likely never fix this issue. It’s in their culture to never fix bugs that are deemed not worth their time. “UPnp? That’s old technology! Streaming services are the future and anything else shouldn’t be given attention!”