Answered

Sonos Update infinite loop

• 26 April 2019
  • 5 replies

I have owned a Sonos system for about 12 years and in the past couple of days I have experienced a problem that I've not seen before. It goes a bit like this: start Sonos. Message that we need to check for software update. 3 step process fails on third step with the message Update problem ! Try again doesn't work. More information recommends unplugging everything and waiting 10 secs. I have done this routine many times. Then all of a sudden, Sonos is working. It will fail again at a later stage, still looking for a software update!! When it does work, the rooms that come up are not always the same and is always incomplete. Although there normally is, there is no option under Manage on my PC app, to add components. Has anybody seen this before and/or have a cure?
icon

Best answer by pwt 26 April 2019, 10:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
For the update problem, perhaps run a diagnostic and post the number on this thread.

there is no option under Manage on my PC app, to add components. Has anybody seen this before and/or have a cure?

As of 9.2, some of the management functionality has been removed from the desktop controllers. You now need a mobile controller for these operations. For details, see:

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/software/release/9-2
Thanks pwt. Have made some progress in that I can use a couple of the sonos components by selecting the option to continue using controller. My iphone had failed to update for about a week and last night it updated. It may be unrelated but I got further with Sonos than I had for the previous couple of days. Other rooms are appearing but a couple have "select to update" and therefore aren't usable. Same infinite loop when I do select them to update. I get error code 30. When I select retry, it says no update required. Your sonos system is up to date. Of course this isn't the case.

Diagnostics: Your diagnostic information could not be sent at this time. These guys have got a massive problem in their software department. I wonder if the brand will recover and will the sonos faithful end up with a pile of useless ornaments.
If I can jump in, that message is appearing because your speakers are having a hard time reaching the outside world in order to send the diagnostic, which would certainly also explain why they're not updating properly.

Do you happen to have a BRIDGE in your system? Those are known now to have power supplies that can go bad. If you do, don't plug it back in, instead plug your ethernet cable into one of the other speakers. It might be possible that the BRIDGE isn't allowing the appropriate SonosNet connection to reach all of your speakers, due to either voltage fluctuation or failure.

If you don't have a BRIDGE, I'd recommend that you try a full reset of Sonos system. Not a factory reset, mind you, that would be bad. What I'm saying is that you unplug all of your Sonos devices from power, and then reboot your router. When the router comes back up, say a couple of minutes, then go ahead and and plug back in your Sonos devices. Then try to send a diagnostic, or run a system update. If it works, you're good to go. If it doesn't, then I'd recommend that you contact Sonos to discuss it. I tend to suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
G'day Bruce.

You are correct about the Bridge. Mine died while I had it connected to the router with an ethernet cable as requested by Sonos. I realised that the two speaker sets downstream of the bridge were not updating and went from there. After a few iterations of trying to update, the lights went out on the bridge.

I've just plugged in a new Boost and everything is working again. It would be handy if the messaging from Sonos could pinpoint a dying component rather than the infinite loop I've endured.
Heh. That's a refrain I've often had with my programmers...wouldn't it be nice if the error actually meant something to a human?

Glad you've got it working. Enjoy your Sonos!