Answered

Sonos under Android 6.0

• 11 January 2021
  • 8 replies

I bought a sound bar to put under the television and 2 separate speakers. I was disappointed to see that at Sonos we completely mock environmental issues by relentlessly applying planned obsolescence. Since mid-2020 I no longer had all the functionality on my smartphone but I could still program music. Since the beginning of 2021 it is finished, By opening this application I receive an update message but I cannot do it. And if I try to install Sonos S2 I get the mention that this app cannot be installed because my software version is too old. It is unacceptable !!!

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 11 January 2021, 15:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Sonos drops support of OS when the manufacturer of the OS no longer supports the OS.  This is done for security reasons, as Sonos can’t guarantee security if the OS is not secure.  If your concerned about environmental issues due to obsolete android devices, then you should direct your complaint at Google.

‘Planned obsolescence’????  The purpose of planned obsolescence is to push customers into buying newer versions of your products.  Now, tell me, what new product would you have to buy to rectify the situation, a Sonos speaker or a phone?

‘Planned obsolescence’????  The purpose of planned obsolescence is to push customers into buying newer versions of your products.  Now, tell me, what new product would you have to buy to rectify the situation, a Sonos speaker or a phone?

Yeah, it always amazes me that people accuse Sonos of the “planned obsolescence” of  an app which costs the user nothing (and costs Sonos a fortune to maintain).  

The last release of Android 6 was in October 2017.

I was waiting for a response telling me how to still use the application on android 6. Unfortunately the answer is simply : I’m not responsible, it’s another. But it is still sonos which stopped the use of an old version. I have another app in the same case but I can continue to use it, just with feature restrictions !

I was waiting for a response telling me how to still use the application on android 6. Unfortunately the answer is simply : I’m not responsible, it’s another. But it is still sonos which stopped the use of an old version. I have another app in the same case but I can continue to use it, just with feature restrictions !

The “another” in this case is the manufacturer of your phone and/or Google.  So your complaints are misplaced, and that is all we are trying to explain.  Also, you quite wantonly threw an accusation of “planned obsolescence” towards Sonos, an accusation which, when viewed with a mere modicum of logic, can be proven quite false.  So no, you were not simply “waiting for a response”; your posts contained far more than a request for help.

Sorry. I thought by accessing the sonos community to receive some help even though my post maybe not quite correct. I note that this follows on a trial of intentions for which I do not wish to waste time. Thank you. (Google translation)

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Wow, you are so indignant when all fellow Sonos users are trying to do is help!  Your blame aimed at Sonos is misplaced, that is all people were trying to say.