Question

Sonos system not connecting properly and not appearing in the app

• 10 July 2020
  • 6 replies

Hello,

I am having a lot of problems with the speakers showing up on my device

My setup: AMP and Play:1 connected over wifi with an Eero mesh system. In a perfect world I would use Ethernet for all of them but that really isn’t an option. Both of them should have no signal strength issues, and their IPv4s will not change. When I was first setting them up, it was a lot more difficult than it usually is. I would be able to find the device but it wouldn’t connect to the network. After a while of messing with things and a lot of luck, I managed to get both of them connected simultaneously. At which point they worked for a day before I was unable to connect to them through the app. And haven’t gotten it to work since. I have tried several factory resets but nothing seems to get them to work. I can see them to set them up but it just won’t play nice with my network.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @BillVe.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post outlining this issue.

It looks like you are experiencing dropped rooms, this is oftentimes caused by wireless interference.

We would like to look into this more, but we’ll need some more details to look into it better.

Kindly submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app, and reply with the confirmation number.
It can help up identify what is causing your issue.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out. 

Sorry for the slow response, The diagnostic number is: 429290420. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @BillVe.

Thanks for the response and for the update.

Upon checking on the diagnostic, it seems that you have a split system for S1 and S2 and the issue was detected on the S2 system.

The only Sonos product showing is the Sonos Amp and the rest of S2 products are missing.

• What’s the status of the LED light on the missing products?
  • How far are these devices from the router?
  • Have you tried using another controller? Is it the same behavior?

You may also refer to this article that will help you bring back a Sonos speaker that has disappeared from your Sonos app.

When issues like this spring up,  the more information we can gather will help us resolve the problem. 

First, I noticed that the network’s IP where the controller is connected is different from what’s showing on the Sonos connection.

To give you a heads up, if your phone is connected to the other Wifi, you will not see your Sonos system, r some of the devices will not show up.

NOTE: Doing a factory reset on Sonos devices is not suggested troubleshooting because it literally deletes all the data on the device that could have help in investigating the issue.

Most of the time, IP address related issues occurs after an update or power-loss.

• Powering down all Sonos
  • Rebooting router and controller
  • Powering up Sonos devices one at a time often clears the issue.

If the issue persists, please submit a new diagnostic report, and reply with the confirmation number.

I'd be glad to review your system further and see if there’s anything else causing this issue.

If you have any other questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out.

We are here to help!

Hi @BillVe.

Thanks for the response and for the update.

Upon checking on the diagnostic, it seems that you have a split system for S1 and S2 and the issue was detected on the S2 system.

First, I noticed that the network’s IP where the controller is connected is different from what’s showing on the Sonos connection.

Is there a way to stop the system from being split? The only devices that are connected are a Sonos:Play1 and The Sonos Amp. It did use to be a S1 System with a Sonos zone player, but before I added the AMP I removed it from the system. 

For the second part, what reason might that be? I have no VPN or anything, the only thing that might be slightly different is that we have a mesh network (Eero) and the Play:1 and the AMP are connected to different eeros. In terms of range, both of them are more than close enough to the router/extenders to have good signal.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @BillVe.

Thank you for the response and for the update.

Yes,  if you have products that are incompatible with S2 you still have an option to keep your system as is.

NOTE:  Using S1, all the Sonos products (legacy and modern) will not receive any of the new software features found in S2.

This is the reason for the split system option, for your modern Sonos products to continuously receive regular software updates.

Having a room drop isn’t exclusively with just the S2 app, it can happen even before the S2 updates, and there are many possible causes to explore. 

When issues like this spring up, the more information we can gather will help us resolve the problem

To verify, we are still missing the Sonos Play:1 named Kitchen. Kindly provide the following details:  

• What’s the status of the LED light on the missing products?
  • How far are these devices from the router?
  • Have you tried using another controller? Is it the same behavior?

We need to check your network layout and see if there are conflicts or configuration needed.

What’s the make and model number of any modem, router, switch, and access point?

Please Note: How all listed network equipment is connected to each other (which port is connected to which).

Some routers in AP mode require the Ethernet cable to be connected to the LAN port.

If you have any other questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out.

All devices are now showing up to the controller now. I don’t know what changed. And all The devices that I tried to control it with are working properly. Back when the problem was happening though only some devices were able to control it and see any of the speakers. Although it wasn’t the same devices all the time, Sometimes the devices that worked the day before didn’t work the next day. And devices that didn’t work the day before were working the next day. 

The modem is a AT&T BGW210-700 it is then connected to a Eero Pro Which is then connected to a network switch with a couple of other random devices connected to it nothing having to do with the Sonos.

The Sonos amp is connected wirelessly to an eero beacon that is about 15 feet away. The play: one is connected to the eero pro that is connected to the modem Wirelessly and is also about 15 feet away. That eero beacon is more than close enough to the eero pro to get adequate connection