Sonos Sucks .. App is awful .. so frustrating

• 15 December 2017
  • 41 replies

Userlevel 2
Quit taking our money.. fix it ... what’s the deal?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

And Chris, thanks - once for reassuring me I had it right!, and secondly for clarifying it much more clearly!!
Chris, Traveller, thanks for the clarifications and additional info.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You are correct Traveller

Sonos App most services - Casting in that Sonos app tells the speakers to fetch the song direct from source

Sonos App (From this iPhone) - streaming - music comes from device to sonos so controller must remain on with good connection.

Airplay 1 - Streaming - the device actually pulls the song from source and then streams from device to the speaker (flawed in that then the connection to controller can't be broken)

Airplay 2 - BOTH - has ability to in applications fetch and send direct to speakers or stream from the iphone like Airplay 1.

Chromecast - BOTH - very similiar to Airplay 2 in that android devices can stream what they hear or certain apps will have ability to fetch. Example: Google still doesn't allow Youtube to be fetched so you have to stream from the phone Youtube.

Bluetooth - Streaming like Airplay 1 where it uses bluetooth signal vs. wifi.

So Airplay2 and Chromecast at this point are your most flexible in providing ability to fetch or stream depending on need. But then their drawback becomes being device dependent (you have to have ios to stream from Airplay2 or android to stream from Chromecast).

With Airplay 2 now on Sonos - you get the compatibility of sonos with advantages of Airplay 2. Sonos is just missing chromecast - which we have no idea if possible with google voice coming (will it include chromecast?). But it is also easy to add Chromecast to your sonos system by simply adding a chromecast Audio dongle to a Sonos unit with input like a Play:5.
I have one (actually never use chromecast though since we all have iphones).

Highlights again Sonos compatibility with multiple systems is its strength.
I think (!) casting is supposed to mean using the iPhone or whatever, as a controller only. This is I believe how chrome cast works. With the audio pulled by the chrome cast device. Similarly with Sonos, the app controls, the system speakers pull. Airplay can work that way, with an ATV for example, where you use a phone as controller, and the ATV, or I believe, HomePod, pull from the internet. Airplay can also though be used where the iPhone etc pull and control and send to a speaker. I use both ways, iPhone to control ATV which sends stream to Sonos, and iPhone to send stream directly to Sonos.

Anyway, that’s my understanding. Hope I haven’t confused things!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Current YouTube options -

1. Stream via Airplay 2 with ios device and a compatible Sonos (newer units)
2. Use ios app SonosTube
3. Use a Sonos with input and add bluetooth/airplay device to

As far as Android/Google more limited right now - we don't know what Google voice support will entail when it arrives in next few months (will it include any chromecast ability to newer speakers). Chromecast can't direct play from YouTube but chromecast on android devices does have ability to work like airplay and send out all the devices audio.

P.S. I love the Sonos app - I enjoy having all services all together as one versus using individual apps.
melvinbe, can I listen to YouTube on Sonos if I have an i device with Airplay 2?

Yes, but only the very newest devices have this capability. Be sure to verify the device has support before you purchase it.

I think only 2 devices support it right now.

4 actually. The link below answers more questions about airplay.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1230?language=en_US

What happens when the screen of the i device is switched off when streaming from YouTube?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by switching off the screen. From my experience, whenever you're using airplay 2, or Bluetooth, your airplay/Bluetooth speakers is acting as an extension of your phone/tablet/tv or whatever. Instead of playing the audio on your phone's speakers, it directs the audio to play on your airplay/Bluetooth speaker. It's not really different then if you plug in headphones to your phone, audio stops on the phone and is directed to your headphones.

So if you're phone/tablet/whatever has a way to minimize the youtube screen and still play audio through it's speakers, then it can also send that audio to airplay/blue tooth speakers. I can't do that on my phone, tablet, or tv, but maybe it's possible on some devices I don't know.

"Yes, but only the very newest devices have this capability..."
"This capability" = "Airplay target, not explicit Youtube support"

It's not listening to Youtube, it is casting youtube via airplay, those are not the same.

Right. And 'casting' doesn't have a definitive definition as far as I understand it. Airplay is casting, same as Bluetooth, and with Google's chromecast (I think). In these cases, the audio/video stream comes into your 1st device, and then 're-streamed' out to the 2nd device you actually want to play the audio or video. If you turn off the first device, or remove it from the network, the steam dies. Then there is Alexacast from Amazon. In this case, you're just passing instructions on what to play from the 1st device to the 2nd device, and the 2nd device streams the audio/video all on it's own. So if you turn off the first device, the 2nd device still plays the stream.

In a way, you can think of Sonos doing casting similar to what Alexacast does. Your first device (controller) is just giving instructions to the 2nd device (speaker). But no one really talks about it that way, so maybe not even a good idea to bring it up.

And as I think about it, I'm really not sure how Google's casting works, and haven't played with it too much. I could be 100% wrong on that part.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
"Yes, but only the very newest devices have this capability..."
"This capability" = "Airplay target, not explicit Youtube support"

It's not listening to Youtube, it is casting youtube via airplay, those are not the same.

I think the Airplay receiver just ignores the video stream. I play youtube over my BT in the car, I don't know enough to give you a technical answer, but I know you can Airplay Video sources to Audio without an issue. I used to do it at work when I was at a mac shop.

With respect to screen off, I would bet it stops the stream and as a result the feed goes silent, I know that is what my phone does with Youtube/Bluetooth speaker.

I believe the PC is handling the Airplay casting, it casts whatever is set to cast, I don't think (for instance) Youtube/Chrome are "aware" they are being cast to the Airplay target. (the youtube client thinks all playback is local)

You'd have to ask someone else for a technical answer, I am basing my answer on my experiences with BT/AP and Youtube.

I don't use AP frequently at all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Yes, but only the very newest devices have this capability...The request to listen to YouTube over Sonos must be one of the most requested features over the years - but it's been stated here hundreds of times that splitting the audio and video of YouTube was against YouTube's ToS so was 'never gonna happen'. Have they changed now or just being ignored with the inclusion of AirPlay 2. What happens when the screen of the i device is switched off when streaming from YouTube?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
melvinbe, can I listen to YouTube on Sonos if I have an i device with Airplay 2?

Yes, but only the very newest devices have this capability. Be sure to verify the device has support before you purchase it.

I think only 2 devices support it right now.

Edit: Another option if you have a non-compatible device, but one that has a line in (Connect/Amp/ZP80/100/Play:5) you can get an airplay device (like an Audiocast) and connect that to the line input on your Sonos device and boom. Airplay.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Can we just agree that Sonos does not do what you think it should do and move on? Sonos isn't for you. Fine.
Userlevel 7
Hi kgroninger

Sorry to hear that Sonos has been such a disappointment for you. For me...it's been great! However, as you said and I quote.."In one of my earlier rants on the same thread I said I didn't buy it. It was a gift." That being the case its time to stop frustrating yourself and move on to a product that suits your needs.

Sonos speakers retain thier value quite well. I'd wager you could sell the Sonos One for $140 and the Play 1 for $100 on ebay. May be slighlty less if you haven't taken care of them and/or don't have the orginal packaging. $200 for both isn't bad consideirng at least one was a gift. B4 you ask...no I don't need them; as you can see from my signature :8.

Sonos ins't going to add BT or make any of the other changes you wish unless there is an overwhelming demand that makes Good Business Sense. So until that day is upon us get yourself a speaker you can be happy with and stop stressing. Music is made to enjoy and satisfy...don't let your dissatifaction with Sonos deny you of those pleasures. Here's hopinig you find what you're looking for.

Cheers!

When I bought into Sonos I wanted a multiroom system to stream music services,and radio, and my locally stored music. It met my needs perfectly. It isn't what you want, and it has no wish to be. You need a different product. Your rant is pointless. Buy what you need, it isn't difficult..

In one of my earlier rants on the same thread I said I didn't buy it. It was a gift. I had no idea what a Sonos speaker was and my life was better before that. I need a speaker that works with what ever I want to play. Music, moives and free music streaming or audio book apps. I had no idea I would have all these restrictions that I've never had with any other speaker or sound system. The point of my rant is this, to play any audio from various sources seems not to be Sonos strong suit. And the Sonos app is full of flaws and is very clunky.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I’m afraid that you are wrong the sonos beam is an AirPlay 2 speaker so therefore you can stream & use the it wirelessly without a line connection on Sonos One, sonos 5 , beam & playbar.
When I bought into Sonos I wanted a multiroom system to stream music services,and radio, and my locally stored music. It met my needs perfectly. It isn't what you want, and it has no wish to be. You need a different product. Your rant is pointless. Buy what you need, it isn't difficult.
When using bluetooth, you're streaming through your phone/tablet and then the audio is sent to your speaker. Hence your phone/table meets the screen requirement. Sonos, on the other hand, doesn't stream through your phone/tablet, doesn't even need a phone or tablet at all really as they are just controllers for Sonos. Hence it doesn't meet Youtube's requirements for direct streaming. You see that as a disadvantage, understandably considering what you want to do with the speaker, but for a multi room audio system, or a speaker with voice control, it's actually an important advantage.

And btw, you can actually listen to Youtube with Sonos if you had a Sonos product with a line-in connection or designed to work with your TV.
@kgroninger, sounds you'd really prefer to have a Bluetooth speaker, as it would fit your needs much better. Also, Google does not allow streaming of youtube through devices that do not have a screen.

Definitely, anything but Sonos. And I can play music form YouTube through a Bluetooth speaker. My Bluetooth speaker doesn't have a screen.
@kgroninger, sounds you'd really prefer to have a Bluetooth speaker, as it would fit your needs much better. Also, Google does not allow streaming of youtube through devices that do not have a screen.
I hate Sonos....none of my music is available from my iPhone. I’ll buy an album from iTunes and can’t play 3-4 songs from the album. Complete garbage. Thousands of $$$ down the drain.

Hi mdinata,

Normally the Sonos system can play music that's stored on your phone. In cases where tracks are missing, please first check to make sure that the song has been downloaded on to your phone. Note that songs downloaded from music services, such as Apple Music, often have DRM protection preventing them from playing on other systems. The easiest way around this issue is to add your Apple Music account to Sonos. This way you can play their entire catalog whether the songs are downloaded to your phone or not.

Please let me know if you have any questions or continuing issues.
. There you go another hoop to just through. You can't just play music you have to do so much for a expensive premium speaker to work. When you buy expensive premium things they're supposed to come with ease. But every other speaker on the market is so much easier than Sonos you don't have to purchase every app to listen to music on it you can actually listen to music for free through other speakers what a concept.
So you said in the other thread. I'd still recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and call in to Sonos to discuss it. They can help you resolve the issues you're having with your local wifi system. who has time for that. I want to play music. Like any other speaker I can just play it. But o no Sonos I have to jump through 15 hoops first. That's lame and a waste of time
What a **** app. It's so difficult to use and doesn't remember anything I type in. Also, I use Spotify and the Spotify app is so much better than Sonos but you have to go through the **** clunky Sonos app. And Spotify doesn't seem to see what I play through the Sonos app. And I have a 200$ speaker that I can't listen to YouTube on? I HAVE TO PAY FOR YOUTUBE RED TO USE IT ON A SPEAKER I PAID FOR?!?!? thank good this was a gift once I blow this speaker I'll never purchase one of your extremely contorling products. Horrible, horrible, waste of money. Sonos search engine is ****. I type in the exact name of an album or playlist that's available on Spotify and you can't find it through Sonos. You guys need to start over. I've contacted so many suppourt 3 times and all 3 times it hasn't been fixed. FIX IT OR START OVER.
I have terrible luck with the app also. When I first open it, it works fine. But when I later try to change volume or music source, it cant find my Sonos. If I close the app (hard close by swiping it off screen) and reopen it, everything works fine again. So it is not a wifi issue, it is an app issue.
The trouble isn't with the wifi. It's with a crappy app.
So you said in the other thread. I'd still recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and call in to Sonos to discuss it. They can help you resolve the issues you're having with your local wifi system.
One of my biggest purchase regrets over the last five years is purchasing the sonos system.

In the beginning (~2015 for us with sonos), the app worked and the entire system was amazing as a whole.

Biggest complaints?

——First, mid-play, I’ll attempt to adjust the volume and BOOM...the app cannot find the speakers. I’ll toggle WiFi on/off, close the app, restart my phone and the app still is blind to the speakers. I’ll finally delete the app and redownload it and THEN it MIGHT work.

——Second, I’ll listen to my music on my phone only to have the song skip to the next song before the first song is finished making listening to pretty much anything on my phone impossible. And yes, I’ve referred to their ‘fixes’, which do nothing.

If you are contemplating sonos...don’t. Spend your money elsewhere.