Sonos Sucks .. App is awful .. so frustrating

• 15 December 2017
  • 41 replies

Userlevel 2
Quit taking our money.. fix it ... what’s the deal?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, Fixit. Welcome to the Community. I was unable to locate any support tickets with your email address and want to be sure we can understand what exactly you mean. Could you give us some specific things you'd like to see changed? I have the ability to make sure this information gets to the team, but I need your help to make sure the feedback is actionable and descriptive.

Thanks in advance.
Userlevel 2
Hey Keith, I was just on the phone with support. Thank goodness you have the feature where you can leave your number and have them call you back because the anticipated wait time was over 30 minutes. So, the guy that helped me try to solve the problem was very very nice, and I could tell he had some knowledge of the app, however he was unable to solve my situation and after a 30 minute call, had to refer to the engineers...So I am running the latest update, on an iPhone 7plus running the latest OS....the rooms don't connect and there are some other glitchy items that I addressed with him...so at this time..he has a couple screen shots from my phone and all my router info and diagnostics from my phone and is trying to see what he can do....I do want to emphasize he was really nice.....but after well over 1,000.00 invested in Sonos equipment...I can't even listen to music in my own home...and I work for a radio station....and teach music...so its important....once today I could get music on my iPhone playing..but then none of the volume controls or pause worked so I was unable to turn it off ....it just doesn't work....
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Understood. Thanks for the update. I was able to retrieve that ticket and I'd recommend continuing to work with the technician. I understand you want to get this working as quickly as possible, and we want that as well. The more you work on/through that ticket the more robust of an idea the senior technicians can see if/when they get the ticket. Thanks for your patience so far.

Feel free to reach out through a PM if you'd like me to check the status of that ticket for you. I'll be happy to help in any way I can.
Userlevel 1
Wow, Sonos. This doesn't look to appetizing. Ok, so I get that the "pull" feature is supposed to deliver superior quality, but how am I supposed to justify investing so much money for SPEAKERS that are hamstrung by an app that is sure to fall out of date and be buggy? I sure do miss the good ole days. My Bose speaker may not have as great a quality (don't know?) but it at least doesn't have to talk to an app that procures everything. It's a SPEAKER. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. UGH.
Userlevel 1
You know this is beyond frustrating. Don't people think I have better things to do than research how on EARTH a SPEAKER works?!?!?! Forget it. No time to maintain. No time to research. No care. Just music. The way it should be.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
You know this is beyond frustrating. Don't people think I have better things to do than research how on EARTH a SPEAKER works?!?!?! Forget it. No time to maintain. No time to research. No care. Just music. The way it should be.

Hi Sorry can you be a bit clearer on what your issue is and I'm sure we can resolve it?
If you wanted a speaker, you should not have purchased a muti-room streaming system controlled by an app. Horses for courses.
I hate Sonos....none of my music is available from my iPhone. I’ll buy an album from iTunes and can’t play 3-4 songs from the album. Complete garbage. Thousands of $$$ down the drain. Complete crap
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I hate Sonos....none of my music is available from my iPhone. I’ll buy an album from iTunes and can’t play 3-4 songs from the album. Complete garbage. Thousands of $$$ down the drain. Complete crap

Hi mdinata,

Normally the Sonos system can play music that's stored on your phone. In cases where tracks are missing, please first check to make sure that the song has been downloaded on to your phone. Note that songs downloaded from music services, such as Apple Music, often have DRM protection preventing them from playing on other systems. The easiest way around this issue is to add your Apple Music account to Sonos. This way you can play their entire catalog whether the songs are downloaded to your phone or not.

Please let me know if you have any questions or continuing issues.
Trust I’m aware of how it works now....if I knew this ahead of time I wouldn’t have bought these. The whole idea of purchasing music and iTunes Match service for example is so I don’t have to use up space on my phone.
Trust I’m aware of how it works now....if I knew this ahead of time I wouldn’t have bought these. The whole idea of purchasing music and iTunes Match service for example is so I don’t have to use up space on my phone.
iTunes Match isn't available on Sonos, only the iCloud Music Library (in combination with an Apple Music subscription).
One of my biggest purchase regrets over the last five years is purchasing the sonos system.

In the beginning (~2015 for us with sonos), the app worked and the entire system was amazing as a whole.

Biggest complaints?

——First, mid-play, I’ll attempt to adjust the volume and BOOM...the app cannot find the speakers. I’ll toggle WiFi on/off, close the app, restart my phone and the app still is blind to the speakers. I’ll finally delete the app and redownload it and THEN it MIGHT work.

——Second, I’ll listen to my music on my phone only to have the song skip to the next song before the first song is finished making listening to pretty much anything on my phone impossible. And yes, I’ve referred to their ‘fixes’, which do nothing.

If you are contemplating sonos...don’t. Spend your money elsewhere.
So you said in the other thread. I'd still recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and call in to Sonos to discuss it. They can help you resolve the issues you're having with your local wifi system.
The trouble isn't with the wifi. It's with a crappy app.
I have terrible luck with the app also. When I first open it, it works fine. But when I later try to change volume or music source, it cant find my Sonos. If I close the app (hard close by swiping it off screen) and reopen it, everything works fine again. So it is not a wifi issue, it is an app issue.
What a **** app. It's so difficult to use and doesn't remember anything I type in. Also, I use Spotify and the Spotify app is so much better than Sonos but you have to go through the **** clunky Sonos app. And Spotify doesn't seem to see what I play through the Sonos app. And I have a 200$ speaker that I can't listen to YouTube on? I HAVE TO PAY FOR YOUTUBE RED TO USE IT ON A SPEAKER I PAID FOR?!?!? thank good this was a gift once I blow this speaker I'll never purchase one of your extremely contorling products. Horrible, horrible, waste of money. Sonos search engine is ****. I type in the exact name of an album or playlist that's available on Spotify and you can't find it through Sonos. You guys need to start over. I've contacted so many suppourt 3 times and all 3 times it hasn't been fixed. FIX IT OR START OVER.
So you said in the other thread. I'd still recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and call in to Sonos to discuss it. They can help you resolve the issues you're having with your local wifi system. who has time for that. I want to play music. Like any other speaker I can just play it. But o no Sonos I have to jump through 15 hoops first. That's lame and a waste of time
I hate Sonos....none of my music is available from my iPhone. I’ll buy an album from iTunes and can’t play 3-4 songs from the album. Complete garbage. Thousands of $$$ down the drain.

Hi mdinata,

Normally the Sonos system can play music that's stored on your phone. In cases where tracks are missing, please first check to make sure that the song has been downloaded on to your phone. Note that songs downloaded from music services, such as Apple Music, often have DRM protection preventing them from playing on other systems. The easiest way around this issue is to add your Apple Music account to Sonos. This way you can play their entire catalog whether the songs are downloaded to your phone or not.

Please let me know if you have any questions or continuing issues.
. There you go another hoop to just through. You can't just play music you have to do so much for a expensive premium speaker to work. When you buy expensive premium things they're supposed to come with ease. But every other speaker on the market is so much easier than Sonos you don't have to purchase every app to listen to music on it you can actually listen to music for free through other speakers what a concept.
@kgroninger, sounds you'd really prefer to have a Bluetooth speaker, as it would fit your needs much better. Also, Google does not allow streaming of youtube through devices that do not have a screen.
@kgroninger, sounds you'd really prefer to have a Bluetooth speaker, as it would fit your needs much better. Also, Google does not allow streaming of youtube through devices that do not have a screen.

Definitely, anything but Sonos. And I can play music form YouTube through a Bluetooth speaker. My Bluetooth speaker doesn't have a screen.
When using bluetooth, you're streaming through your phone/tablet and then the audio is sent to your speaker. Hence your phone/table meets the screen requirement. Sonos, on the other hand, doesn't stream through your phone/tablet, doesn't even need a phone or tablet at all really as they are just controllers for Sonos. Hence it doesn't meet Youtube's requirements for direct streaming. You see that as a disadvantage, understandably considering what you want to do with the speaker, but for a multi room audio system, or a speaker with voice control, it's actually an important advantage.

And btw, you can actually listen to Youtube with Sonos if you had a Sonos product with a line-in connection or designed to work with your TV.
When I bought into Sonos I wanted a multiroom system to stream music services,and radio, and my locally stored music. It met my needs perfectly. It isn't what you want, and it has no wish to be. You need a different product. Your rant is pointless. Buy what you need, it isn't difficult.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I’m afraid that you are wrong the sonos beam is an AirPlay 2 speaker so therefore you can stream & use the it wirelessly without a line connection on Sonos One, sonos 5 , beam & playbar.
When I bought into Sonos I wanted a multiroom system to stream music services,and radio, and my locally stored music. It met my needs perfectly. It isn't what you want, and it has no wish to be. You need a different product. Your rant is pointless. Buy what you need, it isn't difficult..

In one of my earlier rants on the same thread I said I didn't buy it. It was a gift. I had no idea what a Sonos speaker was and my life was better before that. I need a speaker that works with what ever I want to play. Music, moives and free music streaming or audio book apps. I had no idea I would have all these restrictions that I've never had with any other speaker or sound system. The point of my rant is this, to play any audio from various sources seems not to be Sonos strong suit. And the Sonos app is full of flaws and is very clunky.
Userlevel 7
Hi kgroninger

Sorry to hear that Sonos has been such a disappointment for you. For me...it's been great! However, as you said and I quote.."In one of my earlier rants on the same thread I said I didn't buy it. It was a gift." That being the case its time to stop frustrating yourself and move on to a product that suits your needs.

Sonos speakers retain thier value quite well. I'd wager you could sell the Sonos One for $140 and the Play 1 for $100 on ebay. May be slighlty less if you haven't taken care of them and/or don't have the orginal packaging. $200 for both isn't bad consideirng at least one was a gift. B4 you ask...no I don't need them; as you can see from my signature :8.

Sonos ins't going to add BT or make any of the other changes you wish unless there is an overwhelming demand that makes Good Business Sense. So until that day is upon us get yourself a speaker you can be happy with and stop stressing. Music is made to enjoy and satisfy...don't let your dissatifaction with Sonos deny you of those pleasures. Here's hopinig you find what you're looking for.

Cheers!