SONOS. STOP THE UPDATES

Userlevel 3
Badge
STOP IT. SERIOUSLY. JUST STOP IT. I JUST WANT TO LISTEN TO MUSIC. I WANT TO BE ABLE TO TURN ON MY STEREO AND LISTEN TO MUSIC AND RELAX. INSTEAD YOU CAUSE ME STRESS WITH YOUR CONSTANT INTERRUPTIONS.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
My updates never mess anything up . . . bring em on.

Sonos are speakers. Speakers are an appliance, "like" a toaster. This is called an analogy.

Modern appliances have updates. This is called a fact.

Don't like it? Don't buy modern appliances.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
And now you can be paranoid that an update is going to brick one of your devices that Sonos deems unfit to live.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos deems? You mean Apple deems! So life moves on. No paranoia just adjust to the times.

Effectively Apple is not supporting a ton of devices because of airplay2 appears. And Sonos is adding airplay2. Huh wonder if a device may not be capable of handling the new coding? Go figure.
I don’t for the life of me know what the hub bub is with updating the Sonos gear? while it updates, enjoy the silence. We don’t get much time to do that in this busy busy world.

Well isn't life just rosy for you. You obviously don't have kids or other interruptions going on around you.

Music is the thing that calms our house and brings serenity to what is otherwise chaos. All I wanted this morning was some relaxing background music while we get ready for the day.

I'll say again... ALL UPDATES DISABLED ON ALL DEVICES. Yet when I turn Sonos on, at the most critical of times I get interrupted and told "NO MUSIC FOR YOU" (did the soup nazi design this app?)

Click, prompt, ignore, cancel, app shuts down, If say no to either, I get bounced out of the app, or Sonos says, well bad luck for you, we're going to limit your functionality (like no EQ). reopen app, I click update. Device App updates. App shuts down. Reopen app. Now I have to update the controllers. read, curse, accept, waiting to update controller....

Now the wife nagging, go get breakfast ready. Daughter running around agitating, because I'm not getting her breakfast ready and ignoring her. She wants to play with the ipad I'm holding in my hands, so I'm blocking the kid with one hand, holding device in another. Then the TV gets turned on and tantrums now that music overrides the tv speakers.

15 minutes later. The house is at war. So, screw you with your new age mantras. There is no silence when sonos updates. We were a happy household until SONOS put itself first and interrupted us.

Those hipster SONOS coders and their idealistic lifestyles need to understand what goes on in the real world. No doubt their software updates KPI's are being met though, so as long as they're happy. Self centred pricks.

Sorry man, but you need to get control over your household. If all hell breaks loose because there is no music, you've got much bigger problems on your hands than Sonos updating.
BCM,

With whackster's stress levels being that HIGH, I’m not sure he will still be around for the next update anyway. 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I don't mind the updates, it's killing controllers every couple of years that takes some getting used to, unless you are the sort to buy the latest iphone every year. It's an un-expected cost to us old guys. Especially when google play still works great from Samsung tablet that is dead to sonos. If google can still make it work, why can't sonos?

Luckily my 2 daughters must have latest ones, so I have their old phones to use when the iphone5 gets dropped in July.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That’s why androids make better controllers. They tend to last longer before android obsoletes them. And they do direct sonosnet connection.
Started with Sonos 10+ years ago. It used to just work. Very few updates and the ones that came out installed almost flawlessly. Today they hit every month or 2 and usually necessitate hunting down a speaker or two to reboot. I have 30 or so units spread over 2 houses and a business. They all have trouble updating. I thought the units talked to each other over their own network. Why can't they sort out the ip issues without bothering me? How about updating in the background without the need for me to be involved. Used to love and recommend the system, not so much any more! We should be able to use them as a consumer not a network tech.