Answered

Sonos speakers for multiple spotify accounts

• 12 August 2022
  • 7 replies

Hello. Before I return my speakers - I thought I would check here for advice/ideas. I have 2 kids who do not have tablets/phones in their rooms. They do have their own Spotify accounts on my family plan. I bought 2 gen 2 Sonos One speakers hoping I could put then in their rooms and set speaker 1 to leverage Alexa to play Spotify account 1, and speaker 2 to leverage Alexa to play Spotify account 2.

I see that I am able to associate multiple Spotify accounts within the Sonos app, but it appears that I can only able to select 1 account to play on either given speaker. Further, when 1 speaker plays music, the other speaker is not able to play different music. For example, if speaker 1 plays song A, and speaker 2 starts song B, then speaker 1 stops playing song A. 

My goal is to allow kid 1 to listen to Spotify account 1, and kid 2 to listen to Spotify account 2 at the same time, without conflict, and to have this able to be controlled via voice controls. Do I have any options here? If not with Sonos, I would be interested in alternatives as well. Thank you very much!

icon

Best answer by sonsuser2345 13 August 2022, 17:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I use Google Assistant (GA), so maybe my answer is of limited use to you, but I’ll put it up anyway.

My Sonos speakers hold on to the last chosen Spotify account. So if I would use the Sonos app to set Child 1 speaker to Spotify account 1 and Child 2 speaker to Spotify account 2, the system will not change this. This way I would achieve on GA what you want to achieve with Alexa.

Hello. Before I return my speakers - I thought I would check here for advice/ideas. I have 2 kids who do not have tablets/phones in their rooms. They do have their own Spotify accounts on my family plan. I bought 2 gen 2 Sonos One speakers hoping I could put then in their rooms and set speaker 1 to leverage Alexa to play Spotify account 1, and speaker 2 to leverage Alexa to play Spotify account 2.

I see that I am able to associate multiple Spotify accounts within the Sonos app, but it appears that I can only able to select 1 account to play on either given speaker. Further, when 1 speaker plays music, the other speaker is not able to play different music. For example, if speaker 1 plays song A, and speaker 2 starts song B, then speaker 1 stops playing song A. 

My goal is to allow kid 1 to listen to Spotify account 1, and kid 2 to listen to Spotify account 2 at the same time, without conflict, and to have this able to be controlled via voice controls. Do I have any options here? If not with Sonos, I would be interested in alternatives as well. Thank you very much!

Have the kids profiles been added to your Amazon Alexa Account (Alexa App Settings/Profile & Family) - if so ‘ask Alexa’ to switch its profile on each of your kids speakers to their profile …and see if that resolves the issue.

The speakers  need to be in different Alexa groups. Are they?

Another way of approaching this would be to setup separate SONOS Households (systems) for each child. This would give each child exclusive control of their system. Parents could also have their own, exclusive Household. The major downside to this approach is that it would not be possible to play synchronized music across all of the players (parents, child1, child2). Each system supports up to 32 units.

Thanks for all of the replies! I can’t seem to figure out how to setup separate sonos households on the same network. Would anyone be kind enough to walk me through how I’d do that?

I tried factory resetting one of the units, but it keeps detecting the existing household on my wifi during setup and joining the existing household. I did create a second sonos account and use it during setup, but I always wind up having both speakers on the same home/wifi system. 

I also did create 2 separate groups/rooms and associated the speakers with those groups within the alexa app. I seems like when I link spotify in Alexa, I can only use one spotify account. I do have multiple spotify accounts setup within sonos home, but it seems like only one account can be used, and only on one device. I command speaker 1 to start, it starts - but when I command speaker 2 to also start, speaker 1 stops and speaker 2 plays.

To set up separate households power off the existing speakers then choose set up new system on the app.

I don't think the same Alexa account can be used on multiple Sonos systems.  I may be wrong about that.

Ok - I got this working by:

1. Creating individual spotify (family account), Alexa and Sonos accounts for the 2 kids
  2. Factory resetting both speakers
  3. Setting up 1 set of these 3 accounts with one of the speakers, test it works, then unplug it.
  4. Resetting the Sonos app data and restarting it
  5. Setting up the second set of accounts with the second speaker - little tricky making sure all of the alexa/spotify/sonos accounts are lined up properly

Works like a charm. Thank you very much for all of the help.