Sonos speakers are getting a cheap Ikea wireless controller

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/6/5/18653517/sonos-ikea-symfonisk-sound-remote

No price has been given for the Symfonisk Sound Remote, but like all of Ikea’s smart home solutions, you can expect it to be relatively cheap.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Here it is for sale.
https://www.ikea.com/fr/fr/p/symfonisk-telecommande-volume-noir-40433780/
So, based on the reading of the Verge's article, it's essentially just the same thing as the normal buttons on a Sonos speaker?

The pertinent information seems to be "It lets you play/pause the audio, change tracks, and control the volume of individual speakers or those already grouped."
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
So, based on the reading of the Verge's article, it's essentially just the same thing as the normal buttons on a Sonos speaker?

The pertinent information seems to be "It lets you play/pause the audio, change tracks, and control the volume of individual speakers or those already grouped."

Translated product description from Ikea:

"Allows easy and quick control of SYMFONISK or Sonos speakers.
Play / pause, next / previous and volume control by pressing the button.
Adjusts and controls a speaker or group of speakers from any room in your home.
You must have the TRÅDFRI gateway and the IKEA Home Smart app to operate the remote control. Sold separately.
To connect the volume remote control to a speaker or group of speakers, use the Sonos applications.
A magnet makes it easy to attach the remote control to the included wall mount.
This product is CE marked.
Works with the Sonos Home Sound System"
Right. No changing of the stream, choosing another "playlist" etc, all of which require a normal controller.

Essentially the same as the buttons on the speaker.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Right. No changing of the stream, choosing another "playlist" etc, all of which require a normal controller.

Essentially the same as the buttons on the speaker.

It is zigbee so you need a hub in addition. Aimed at Ikea smart home customers it seems. Also $15 remote is not $15 when you add a hub. Still very good to see options.

Edit maybe the hubs that support Ikea tradferi (sp?) bulbs and other smart products will support this too.
Looks like it requires IKEA’s $30 Hub. Still, $45 for a remote control isn’t much. I assume the hub is a one time requirement for multiple remotes.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/circuitbreaker/2019/9/12/20862236/ikea-cheap-sonos-remote-control-date-price
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
£20 for the hub in the UK, so £35 is a bargain, i'll be getting a couple on 1st October when they're out over here.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Am I understanding this correctly?
You can control any group or individual speakers with this remote?
Cause I'm looking at it and trying to figure out how.

Wait a sec.... I think I understand now.
So basically I would need separate remote for each room I would want to be able to control the speakers independently outside of whole home audio.

Right???
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Am I understanding this correctly?
You can control any group or individual speakers with this remote?
Cause I'm looking at it and trying to figure out how.

I'm guessing you would set the desired speaker to control in the IKEA app.
Ravica3, I believe that you're correct, based on what I'm reading.

This isn't a remote controller as much as a set of speaker buttons not on the speaker.

Since there's no video screen, you can't, for example, change audio streams. You can start, stop the current stream, and adjust the volume.

Useful in some situations, but it's not a full controller like a phone or tablet is.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Since there's no video screen, you can't, for example, change audio streams. You can start, stop the current stream, and adjust the volume.

You can play, pause , skip forward or back, as well as volume.