Sonos SMBv2 support on Synology NAS DSM7 is here

• 27 November 2021
  • 14 replies

Just wanted to share the good news that I am successfully deploying the SMBv2 protocol on my Synology NAS (DSM 7.0.1-42218) with the Sonos App (version 13.4). Moreover, the NTLMv1 authentication is no longer needed.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Interesting. Wonder if Sonos had a reason not to announce this yet. Perhaps it doesn’t work in all situations, but it is in yours? That would be a good reason not to make a general announcement, it working in some cases, and not in others.

For instance, issues posted in this thread, which was next on my reading list:

It’s hard to believe they would not announce such a ground-breaking change unless there were still issues with it, possibly beyond what is mentioned in that thread. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’m seeing SMB 3 v2 to my Linux based NAS.

Sonos has mentioned the SMB upgrade to customers but it isn’t anywhere in the release notes or forum announcements that I can see. SMB 3 post:

It looks to be buggy so use with care.

Interesting. Wonder if Sonos had a reason not to announce this yet. Perhaps it doesn’t work in all situations, but it is in yours? That would be a good reason not to make a general announcement, it working in some cases, and not in others.

It definitely works in my case and did not have an impact on the Album artwork. I thought it would be nice to share some positive feedback and give the Synology NAS users hope this issue is being actually addressed by Sonos.

I’m seeing SMB 3 v2 to my Linux based NAS.

Sonos has mentioned the SMB upgrade to customers but it isn’t anywhere in the release notes or forum announcements that I can see. SMB 3 post:

It looks to be buggy so use with care.

it would be helpful if Sonos could comment on this and indicate if this is an ‘undocumented or hidden feature’, an ‘unsupported feature’, a ‘beta release feature’ or anything else ...

Badge

Is this with the S2 controller, or S1 ? (I have a Sonos Connect that can’t upgrade to S2, so my system is still on S1 and probably will be forever.)

It would be S2 only. S1 will never have the capability of this type of upgrade, just not enough space to update the kernel. 

Badge

I just tried it with S1, and still get:

Unable to add the music share \\192.168.x.x\media\Music to your music library (900)

Then when I check the NAS (a Synology in my case), there is a log message:

Host [192.168.x.x] failed to connect via [SMB] due to [SMB1 not permitted].

Did you have to do anything on the Sonos side to get it to try SMB2? My system is updated to the latest version (11.2.13), so I suspect this probably requires S2.

I just tried it with S1, and still get:

Unable to add the music share \\192.168.x.x\media\Music to your music library (900)

Then when I check the NAS (a Synology in my case), there is a log message:

Host [192.168.x.x] failed to connect via [SMB] due to [SMB1 not permitted].

Did you have to do anything on the Sonos side to get it to try SMB2? My system is updated to the latest version (11.2.13), so I suspect this probably requires S2.

Yes, I understand that the S1 Sonos App, continues to support SMB v1 only. 

Is this with the S2 controller, or S1 ? (I have a Sonos Connect that can’t upgrade to S2, so my system is still on S1 and probably will be forever.)

Yes, I use it with the S2 Sonos App (version 13.4) on a MacBook Pro with macOS Big Sur 11.6.1

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

S1 folks are probably best served by using SMB3 or NFS on their NAS and a SMB v1 gateway to access the NAS, that removes the exposure of your NAS data to the SMB v1 security issues.

Guide for a PI but will work on any SMBv1 capable system: SMB v1 Gateway

Userlevel 1

I have enabled SMB2 and SMB3 and have found that once they are running the time taken to display album art becomes very slow indeed. 

When running SMB1 the display keeps up with scrolling through 300+ Albums by using the side bar slider thing pretty well instantaneously. When I use SMB2 and/or 3 it takes 8 to 10 seconds to refresh after the same process. Running SMB1 as well as one or more of the later versions is a bit quicker than without it but still much slower than when running SMB1 on its own.  

Has anyone else noticed this performance hit? It's so bad in my system that I have reverted to just using SMB1. Perhaps Sonos need to do a bit more tuning here, or would it be NAS-related?

BTW when testing this I have cleared the controller cache and reindexed the library after each change on the NAS, and made sure the same Associated Product is being used. The performance difference is very consistent

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

There is a cover art topic here:

I have enabled SMB2 and SMB3 and have found that once they are running the time taken to display album art becomes very slow indeed. 

When running SMB1 the display keeps up with scrolling through 300+ Albums by using the side bar slider thing pretty well instantaneously. When I use SMB2 and/or 3 it takes 8 to 10 seconds to refresh after the same process. Running SMB1 as well as one or more of the later versions is a bit quicker than without it but still much slower than when running SMB1 on its own.  

Has anyone else noticed this performance hit? It's so bad in my system that I have reverted to just using SMB1. Perhaps Sonos need to do a bit more tuning here, or would it be NAS-related?

BTW when testing this I have cleared the controller cache and reindexed the library after each change on the NAS, and made sure the same Associated Product is being used. The performance difference is very consistent

Yes, I’ve noticed the Sonos App Library Art is slower loading from my NAS too when the share is using SMB v2 or higher, compared to SMB v1