Sonos skips!!

My Sonos system sometimes plays all the songs on an individual playlist without a hitch but there are times when it starts a song and never finishes it before going onto the next then the next song will play through fine and the it starts short cutting songs again. It's very annoying ! What is up with that?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello Katie,

What is the source of the music that you tend to have trouble with? Are those playlists from your computer, a music service, or your mobile phone?

You might have some wireless interference or communication trouble on the network causing this. The next time you're have trouble with playback, can you please submit a diagnostic and reply back with your confirmation number?

Thanks.
I've had the same problem. I just submitted diagnostic information. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated! 

I only have problems from my computer. Never a problem with music services and I don't ever play music stored on my phone.

Confirmation number: 3574716
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I've had the same problem. I just submitted diagnostic information. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated! 
Hi Acvwilson,

Thank you for that diagnostic. It looks like you're having some trouble with network latency reaching the computer. It looks like the computer is wireless so it's probably an issue with that connection. Are you able to wire the computer into the back of one of your Sonos players or into the network itself? This is a good test to see if it's wireless related.

I'd also recommend logging into your router and checking the channel that it's on. Sonos is on channel 1 right now, make sure your router is set to 6 or higher so that it doesn't overlap. This will help improve your wireless signal.

Also, make sure your BRIDGE isn't directly on top of, or next to, your router.

Thanks
The BRIDGE is definitely on top of the router. How far away should it be?

Just changed the 2.4GHz Channel to 11, does the 5GHz channel matter?

I'll try to find a cable to wire directly to ensure it's a wireless network problem.

Thanks for your quick response!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
A foot or two is fine for distance, it's just good to have them separated.

No, the 5 GHz shouldn't be an issue as it doesn't overlap with the 2.4 GHz.

Please let us know if you have any further trouble, include another diagnostic as well if you have a cutout.

Thanks
I have the same problem.  My brother and his wife was impressed with the sonos system but i was worried this would occur, and two times during the evening I had to just turn it off it was unbareable.  I have 4 sonos Play 1's, Diagnostic 4112374 and 4112493.  Can Sonos help find the issue please? 
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi User183151,

Thanks for those diagnostics. It looks like the Lounge and your Dining Room units are getting hit with a lot of wireless interference causing the those skips. Can you please change the channel on your Sonos system to 1 and test playing music for a while? 

If you're still having trouble you can also test 11.

If you have access to your router, please log into it and check under the Wireless Settings that the Channel isn't set to Automatic and that the router isn't doing Auto Channel Scans.

Let us know how it goes.
Badge
Hello Katie,

What is the source of the music that you tend to have trouble with? Are those playlists from your computer, a music service, or your mobile phone?

You might have some wireless interference or communication trouble on the network causing this. The next time you're have trouble with playback, can you please submit a diagnostic and reply back with your confirmation number?

Thanks.

Dear Sonos, if its an interference issue why do chromecast and apple tv play perfectly? You should really investigate this problem because many people face these problems. Solve it! Otherwise the company sales will suffer.
Badge
Anyone with a range extender, make it set on b+g+n and not simply n. My sonos playbar skipped all the time. It was never really connected with my range extender because it simply couldnt. The range extender only accepted N devices thats why apple tv and chromecast worked fine. After changing my range extender to b+g+n it started accepting my Sonos device. Now it is working like a charm. Not many people know that range extenders are present in the house. They may be on the attic or in a cellar for instance. But they are very important for your sonos connection!!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello Katie,

Thanks.

Hey Remsey, I replied back to one of your other comments offering to help troubleshoot there. So please let me now if I can help.

It's hard to say why those devices for you are streaming well, without actually looking at the network. Both of those devices connect to your house wireless while Sonos can be wired into the network and use it's own wifi network. The Sonos dedicated wireless at your place might be having some interference issues if you have a BRIDGE or other device wired in.

I could go on and on speculating as there are plenty of reasons, but it'd be best to get some more information to start with. You can reply back to that other thread with a diagnostic and I'll take a look for you.
Badge
Hello Katie,

Thanks.

Hello Ryan, Thanks so much for your reply. I solved my problem. My system has a router and a range extender. The network SSID is the same on both devices. The range extender was put on wireless N protocol while on the router it was set to b+g+n. It seemed my sonos was connected to the range extender but in reality it was connected to my router which is too far away. That made the Sonos skip music. The reason why chromecast and apple tv worked fine is because they do work with wireless N. After changing my range extender settings to b+g+n as well, my Sonos works fine. Range extenders are becoming very common because people suffer from interference on the 2,4 Ghz band. But the range extender settings are also very important for Sonos devices. Thanks for your help!
Same trouble. Two different sources get the same issue where the songs skip, pause and start midway through a different song.

7326236 Diagnostic confirmation
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hello jcbcldwll,

Thank you for the diagnostic. There are only errors showing a loss in connectivity when playing songs stored on your mobile phone. Since this is occurring with multiple sources of audio you may want to give the steps in our Audio playback stops or skips FAQ a try and let us know how that goes.