Answered

Sonos S2 Windows app not Launching

Hi. I am having trouble getting S2 windows app to work. When I select the installed app icon a orange Sonos logo appears in the middle of the screen ± 500x500 pixels. Then disappears without the controller loading. 
I have tried:

Uninstalling, removing from recycle bin, deleting the downloaded file. Re-downloaded and installed, with restarting the PC inbetween.

Made sure the windows firewall allowed all the Sonos apps and options (private and public)

Switched off my anti virus totally. Uninstalled and reinstalled while off.

None of the above seemed to work.

Please help guys, this is really frustrating. Am also struggling with support as I am from South Africa and we don't have any proprietary support here. The time difference makes it difficult to contact the US support team.

icon

Best answer by controlav 30 December 2020, 04:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Daniel Lamblin I think you have bigger problems than the Sonos app. The fact that your PC blue-screened, and that the service failed to start, are indicates greater system stability problems than the known-but-ignored bitmap crash on start of the Sonos app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This is the “usual” crash for a few S2 users. For reasons unknown the bitmap decoder (in .NET) is unhappy with the bitmap it is passed. The bitmap is some album art, though it is not possible to determine which art (whether built-in, eg the TV icon, or external, eg from Spotify).

This crash does not appear to be a bug in .NET itself as I originally wondered: the bitmap itself is “bad”, though unclear why.

I have never reproed this myself, and Sonos don’t seem to care. If they did, they could at least add a try/catch in the ArtworkDataEventSink.GenerateEventArgs function.

My recommendation remains as ever: try my Windows app (see profile).

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks for the clear instructions. I can repro this crash easily now, on both S1 and S2 apps. I’ll see if anyone at work on the .NET team has an idea why the code crashes in this case. On the good news front, my own app is not affected by this bug.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Try my Windows app instead. (See profile).

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I dug into his at work, and confirmed this was a regression in Windows, which has been fixed. However it will probably be a long time before that fix makes its way into a shipping version (because reasons). The workaround is correct.

Badge

@Daniel LamblinI think you have bigger problems than the Sonos app. The fact that your PC blue-screened, and that the service failed to start, are indicates greater system stability problems than the known-but-ignored bitmap crash on start of the Sonos app.

Thanks for your feedback. Actually before I read it, I also thought there shouldn't be blue screens outside of a driver issue. I had the Nvidia GeForce "gaming" drivers from 2020-12-05, and performed a clean reinstall of those yesterday and was pleased to find the Sonos S2 app also starts up normally now. Oddly it did again ask me to confirm my language, but it might be that it had cleared out some settings after its last crash.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

By the way this crash has been figured out by another user, it is caused by the color profile you have set. Details in another thread.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Wow, I am having the same issue. I have been using sonos OK from roon and an android phone, and thought I would start using the windows 10 app as well…

But the windows 10 app starts and hangs.

Based on the responses from sonos (long troubleshooting lists), and the failure of those steps to resolve, it is clear that the sonos windows app is essentially unsupportable in the field.

That can happen. It is unfortunate.

I will no longer purchase or recommend sonos.

It was a nice run while it lasted! (Two months, to be exact.)

I tried those steps to the letter. After step 8 (successful pings of the router and a Sonos device), I tried to open the S2 app and got the splash screen for a few seconds and then … nothing. S1 worked fine, so it has to be something in your software.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @KRossouw.

Thanks for the immediate and detailed response. 

I would highly recommend calling our Technical Support Team for a more in-depth troubleshooting steps and for any possible screen sharing session if necessary. This is for them to help you out on checking your computer and help troubleshoot the issue.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you still have further questions or concerns.

Thanks,

I’m having the same very frustrating problem.  Multiple attempts to install, a thorough uninstall, turning off anti-virus and firewall, and the program still won’t load.  Any ideas (other than just doing the same thing over and over)?

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @KRossouw.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thank you for reaching out to us about your concerns.

I would like to recommend some basic troubleshooting steps to help fix the issue.

1. We may want to un-install the Sonos S2 app.
  2. I would also recommend checking for updates on your Windows operating system.
  3. after the Sonos S2 app have been un-installed. It is not a bad idea to consider restarting your computer.
  4. Next, We may want to download the Sonos S2 app using the Sonos’ website.
  5. Another thing we may want to consider after downloading and installing the Sonos s2 App is windows 10 firewall and here is the guide on what to do.
  6. Third party Anti Virus is also another situation we can possibly address. Here is the guide on how to deal with third party Anti Virus to work with Sonos.

Please let me know how everything goes. We’re always here to help.

Thanks,

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

HI @TFSD.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us and thanks for doing the extra mile on performing the basic troubleshooting steps. I understand it can be quite frustrating as have tried all possible basic troubleshooting step but the issue still persists. Let me help you with that.

I would highly recommend calling our Technical Support Team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps and for any possible screen sharing session if necessary. This is for them to help you out on checking your computer and help troubleshoot the issue.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you still have further questions or concerns.

Thanks,

I’ve just spent over an hour on the phone with a member of the support team, and we were unable to resolve the problem. I’m EXTREMELY frustrated, since I now have thousands of dollars of equipment that I can’t operate with my computer. All she was able to suggest were the steps outlined above.  Uninstall, download, reinstall, reboot, check firewall, repeat in various configurations.  I’ve uninstalled my anti-virus/firewall program, downloaded and reinstalled a dozen times, and I still just get the splash screen, which then disappears. We tried installing it on an old computer, where it worked, so her suggestion was to call Microsoft, which obviously isn’t going to do any good. My S1 controller worked fine, so the problem is clearly with the S2 controller.  All Microsoft will say is that something changed in the software from S1 to S2 that makes it inoperable. Isn’t there ANYONE who can address this issue? The attraction with Sonos has always been ease-of-use, but this is anything but.

I am experiencing the same issues as the other persons.

Sonos 1 app worked fine on Windows 10.
Sonos 2 apps does not.

None of the proposed steps re uninstall etc. resolve the issue.

Has Sonos Dev/Product Management acknowledged that there is a problem along with an ETA of a fix?

Installer version SonosDesktopController1222.exe

Setup process requests adding Sonos to Windows firewall etc. which was granted.

Sonos 2 app / service will not start on Windows 10

Application: Sonos.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ArithmeticException

Exception Info: System.OverflowException
   at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.ColorConvertedBitmap.FinalizeCreation()
   at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.ColorConvertedBitmap..ctor(BitmapSource source, ColorContext sourceColorContext, ColorContext destinationColorContext, PixelFormat format)
   at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapImage.FinalizeCreation()
   at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapImage.EndInit()
   at Sonos.Controller.Desktop.SCLib.ViewModel.Artwork.ArtworkDataEventSink.GenerateEventArgs(SCIArtworkData sender)
   at Sonos.Controller.Desktop.SCLib.EventWrapper`2.OnEvent(TSender sender)
   at Sonos.Controller.Desktop.SCLib.EventSink`1.dispatchEvent(SCIObj pSender, String sEventID)
   at Sonos.SCLib.Interop.SCIEventSinkSwigBase.SwigDirectordispatchEvent(IntPtr pSender, String sEventID)
   at Sonos.SCLib.Interop.sclibPINVOKE.SCILibrary_SCLibUIThreadCallback(HandleRef jarg1)
   at Sonos.SCLib.Interop.SCILibrary.SCLibUIThreadCallback()
   at Sonos.Controller.Desktop.SCLib.LibraryManager.<CallUIThread>b__42_0()
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Exception Info: Sonos.Controller.Desktop.Utilities.BugsenseWrappedException
   at Sonos.Controller.Desktop.App.worker_RunWorkerCompleted(Exception ex)

Exception Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
   at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(CulturePreservingExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(DispatcherFrame frame)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)
   at System.Windows.Application.Run(Window window)
   at Sonos.Controller.Desktop.Startup.Glue.WpfLauncher.DoLaunch(String[] args)
   at System.AppDomain.RunInitializer(AppDomainSetup setup)
   at System.AppDomain.Setup(Object arg)
   at System.AppDomain.nCreateDomain(System.String, System.AppDomainSetup, System.Security.Policy.Evidence, System.Security.Policy.Evidence, IntPtr)
   at System.AppDomain.InternalCreateDomain(System.String, System.Security.Policy.Evidence, System.AppDomainSetup)
   at System.AppDomain.CreateDomain(System.String, System.Security.Policy.Evidence, System.AppDomainSetup)
   at Sonos.Controller.Desktop.Startup.Glue.WpfLauncher.DoAppDomainSetup(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart(System.Object)

I have the same problem, just downloaded the latest version. It didn’t help. SONOS, please prioritize this problem.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @User566797.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand it can be quite frustrating. Let me recommend my post above and check if it would help.

Hi @KRossouw.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thank you for reaching out to us about your concerns.

I would like to recommend some basic troubleshooting steps to help fix the issue.

1. We may want to un-install the Sonos S2 app.
  2. I would also recommend checking for updates on your Windows operating system.
  3. after the Sonos S2 app has been un-installed. It is not a bad idea to consider restarting your computer.
  4. Next, We may want to download the Sonos S2 app using the Sonos’ website.
  5. Another thing we may want to consider after downloading and installing the Sonos S2 App is windows 10 firewall and here is the guide on what to do.
  6. Third-party Anti Virus is also another situation we can possibly address. Here is the guide on how to deal with third-party Anti Virus to work with Sonos.

Thanks,

Please let us know how it goes. We are always here to help out.

Thanks,

Badge

Thanks @controlav, since that's like 3 links away, let's just summarize here: get into your Windows' Color Management. None of the next 3 links mention how.

Then in the dialog choose the rightmost tab, the advanced tab. In the top section "Windows Color System Defaults" where the top line is a "Device Profile" selection box it should be set to "System Default (the name of the default)". You could also untick the option to use my profile in another tab if the thread linked to the post linked to the thread linked in this thread is to be believed.

It seems color profile files can get corrupted, though I wonder if there's a new driver or .Net bug in loading some profiles. So if you want to delete the profile that was on before your changed to System Default, look in C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color\

Until Microsoft updates the control panel in question, it should be able to be opened with Win+R and running "colorcpl". Otherwise in settings (Win+I), choose Appearance and Personalisation, Display then Screen Resolution (or Adjust resolution) and click Advanced Settings then in the ‘Color Management’ tab and press the button ‘Color Management’ (adjust spelling if using British English). I suspect if MS ever removes the color control panel, the UI steps to getting to and changing the color profile will change though.

Hi Paul. I am having difficulty contacting your technical support as I am in South Africa. Tried phoning now, lead time is 20mins. It will cost a fortune. Is there any way someone can contact me to set up a “dialing in” session?

My PC updated to the latest version of Windows 10 tonight, I was hoping this might fix my issue. But alas. 

Please, I am desperate, will really appreciate your help!

BTW, I uninstalled the app, deleted the downloaded file, re-downloaded it and tried to install it once more. But nothing changed!

Regards,

Kirsten Rossouw

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @TFSD.

Thanks for the detailed and immediate response. 

YOu have 2 options/recommendations to try. @controlav’s recommendation or you can try contacting our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps.

Please let us know how it goes. We’d love to hear and know what the technical support team’s solution would be or @controlav’s recommendation would be. We are always here to help out.

Thanks,

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @TFSD.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand that you’re frustrated because it still does not work. Let me recommend some steps and please follow accordingly.

1. Uninstall third-party antivirus and firewall. (such as Norton, Mcafee, Outpost, etc)
  2. Please make sure to check if you are using VPN and turn it off as well.
  3. If you are also using VLAN, please turn it off or connect the computer to the same router your Sonos is connected to via ethernet cable.
  4. Un-install the Sonos App using the add or remove programs. (Windows OS)
  5. Restart the computer.
  6. Install the Sonos S2 app through our website (no VLAN, no antivirus, no firewall, no VPN) 
  7. Check if you can ping the router and atleast 1 Sonos device prior to opening the newly installed Sonos S2 app. (check the router GUI for their corresponding IP addresses)
  8. If the ping is successful, open the Sonos S2 app and follow the prompts
  9. If the ping is unsuccessful, either they are not on the same network or the Sonos system is offline.
  10. We may want to double-check and make sure there are no managed switches or third-party hardware network security. If there are/is, we may want to make sure to by-pass.
  11. Once the Sonos S2 app is connected, test to make sure everything works.
  12. Once confirmed, install Antivirus and firewall (while the Sonos S2 app is running).

I hope this helps.

Thanks, 

Badge

Sonos S2 app starts to hang during startup after the first reboot since installation of the app. This behaviour has begun after the recent Microsoft Windows 10 update to version 2004. I have uninstalled S2 several times. Directly after a clean install, S2 correctly launches and functions without issue. During that Windows logon session, one can stop and start S2 without issue.

However, as soon as one has restarted the OS after the installation of S2, the app fails properly to launch and hangs with the app’s startup banner visible on screen. No further progress. The sonos.exe is present in Task Manager/Details tab.

The firewall is correctly configured. I have added sonoss2 folder to Windows Defender Antivirus Exclusions list. All to no avail.

Snippet of Sonos settings in Windows Firewall

Snippet of Sonos exclusion in Windows Defender Antivirus

Since I reside in South Africa, a phone call to Tech Support in the USA is out of the question.

Badge

The Application Error event in the event viewer for this has the app (to complement the details screenshot above) failing with:

Faulting application name: Sonos.exe, version: 6.0.0.34230, time stamp: 0x453d4bd8
Faulting module name: sclib-csharp.DLL, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fbab0ea
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0016e5ce
Faulting process id: 0x153c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6dc26f846e336
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\SonosV2\Sonos.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\SonosV2\sclib-csharp.DLL
Report Id: a0fdf0b1-38b2-4235-a2ad-ca487b53f1f1
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

This is after a fresh system start and trying to open the sonos s2 orange app on Windows 10 ver 2004

There was also a SonosLibraryService error at boot time:

Service cannot be started. The handle is invalid

Bear in mind it blue screened during my previous session when I updated from S1 to S2; Though it did work several times during that, opening it once blanked my screen and then the machine restarted. It cannot open normally since. Uninstalling and reinstalling isn’t working great either.

The event before blue screening appears not to have been recorded; An hour prior to that was also a failure to open the app, which also blanked my screen to black for a while, then it returned with the app closed, and reported the same above Application Error, but it was additionally preceded by a .NET Runtime error:

Application: Sonos.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
   at System.Windows.Media.Composition.DUCE.Channel.SyncFlush()
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable`1 channelSet)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)

Exception Info: Sonos.Controller.Desktop.Utilities.BugsenseWrappedException
   at Sonos.Controller.Desktop.App.worker_RunWorkerCompleted(Exception ex)

Exception Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
   at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(CulturePreservingExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(DispatcherFrame frame)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)
   at System.Windows.Application.Run(Window window)
   at Sonos.Controller.Desktop.Startup.Glue.WpfLauncher.DoLaunch(String[] args)
   at System.AppDomain.RunInitializer(AppDomainSetup setup)
   at System.AppDomain.Setup(Object arg)
   at System.AppDomain.nCreateDomain(System.String, System.AppDomainSetup, System.Security.Policy.Evidence, System.Security.Policy.Evidence, IntPtr)
   at System.AppDomain.InternalCreateDomain(System.String, System.Security.Policy.Evidence, System.AppDomainSetup)
   at System.AppDomain.CreateDomain(System.String, System.Security.Policy.Evidence, System.AppDomainSetup)
   at Sonos.Controller.Desktop.Startup.Glue.WpfLauncher.DoAppDomainSetup(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart(System.Object)

So. I know you’re probably in some kind of holiday code freeze, but it looks like this started in fall 2020.