Question

Sonos S2 Windows app not Launching

Hi. I am having trouble getting S2 windows app to work. When I select the installed app icon a orange Sonos logo appears in the middle of the screen ± 500x500 pixels. Then disappears without the controller loading. 
I have tried:

Uninstalling, removing from recycle bin, deleting the downloaded file. Re-downloaded and installed, with restarting the PC inbetween.

Made sure the windows firewall allowed all the Sonos apps and options (private and public)

Switched off my anti virus totally. Uninstalled and reinstalled while off.

None of the above seemed to work.

Please help guys, this is really frustrating. Am also struggling with support as I am from South Africa and we don't have any proprietary support here. The time difference makes it difficult to contact the US support team.

14 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @KRossouw.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thank you for reaching out to us about your concerns.

I would like to recommend some basic troubleshooting steps to help fix the issue.

1. We may want to un-install the Sonos S2 app.
  2. I would also recommend checking for updates on your Windows operating system.
  3. after the Sonos S2 app have been un-installed. It is not a bad idea to consider restarting your computer.
  4. Next, We may want to download the Sonos S2 app using the Sonos’ website.
  5. Another thing we may want to consider after downloading and installing the Sonos s2 App is windows 10 firewall and here is the guide on what to do.
  6. Third party Anti Virus is also another situation we can possibly address. Here is the guide on how to deal with third party Anti Virus to work with Sonos.

Please let me know how everything goes. We’re always here to help.

Thanks,

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I have tried all above, but to no avail.

I have narrowed down the error code. Please see below. I have not been able to fix this as I could still not replace or reinstall the .dll file.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @KRossouw.

Thanks for the immediate and detailed response. 

I would highly recommend calling our Technical Support Team for a more in-depth troubleshooting steps and for any possible screen sharing session if necessary. This is for them to help you out on checking your computer and help troubleshoot the issue.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you still have further questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Hi Paul. I am having difficulty contacting your technical support as I am in South Africa. Tried phoning now, lead time is 20mins. It will cost a fortune. Is there any way someone can contact me to set up a “dialing in” session?

My PC updated to the latest version of Windows 10 tonight, I was hoping this might fix my issue. But alas. 

Please, I am desperate, will really appreciate your help!

BTW, I uninstalled the app, deleted the downloaded file, re-downloaded it and tried to install it once more. But nothing changed!

Regards,

Kirsten Rossouw

Sonos S2 app starts to hang during startup after the first reboot since installation of the app. This behaviour has begun after the recent Microsoft Windows 10 update to version 2004. I have uninstalled S2 several times. Directly after a clean install, S2 correctly launches and functions without issue. During that Windows logon session, one can stop and start S2 without issue.

However, as soon as one has restarted the OS after the installation of S2, the app fails properly to launch and hangs with the app’s startup banner visible on screen. No further progress. The sonos.exe is present in Task Manager/Details tab.

The firewall is correctly configured. I have added sonoss2 folder to Windows Defender Antivirus Exclusions list. All to no avail.

Snippet of Sonos settings in Windows Firewall

Snippet of Sonos exclusion in Windows Defender Antivirus

Since I reside in South Africa, a phone call to Tech Support in the USA is out of the question.

I’m having the same very frustrating problem.  Multiple attempts to install, a thorough uninstall, turning off anti-virus and firewall, and the program still won’t load.  Any ideas (other than just doing the same thing over and over)?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

HI @TFSD.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us and thanks for doing the extra mile on performing the basic troubleshooting steps. I understand it can be quite frustrating as have tried all possible basic troubleshooting step but the issue still persists. Let me help you with that.

I would highly recommend calling our Technical Support Team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps and for any possible screen sharing session if necessary. This is for them to help you out on checking your computer and help troubleshoot the issue.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you still have further questions or concerns.

Thanks,

I have the same problem, just downloaded the latest version. It didn’t help. SONOS, please prioritize this problem.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @User566797.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand it can be quite frustrating. Let me recommend my post above and check if it would help.

Hi @KRossouw.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thank you for reaching out to us about your concerns.

I would like to recommend some basic troubleshooting steps to help fix the issue.

1. We may want to un-install the Sonos S2 app.
  2. I would also recommend checking for updates on your Windows operating system.
  3. after the Sonos S2 app has been un-installed. It is not a bad idea to consider restarting your computer.
  4. Next, We may want to download the Sonos S2 app using the Sonos’ website.
  5. Another thing we may want to consider after downloading and installing the Sonos S2 App is windows 10 firewall and here is the guide on what to do.
  6. Third-party Anti Virus is also another situation we can possibly address. Here is the guide on how to deal with third-party Anti Virus to work with Sonos.

Thanks,

Please let us know how it goes. We are always here to help out.

Thanks,

I’ve just spent over an hour on the phone with a member of the support team, and we were unable to resolve the problem. I’m EXTREMELY frustrated, since I now have thousands of dollars of equipment that I can’t operate with my computer. All she was able to suggest were the steps outlined above.  Uninstall, download, reinstall, reboot, check firewall, repeat in various configurations.  I’ve uninstalled my anti-virus/firewall program, downloaded and reinstalled a dozen times, and I still just get the splash screen, which then disappears. We tried installing it on an old computer, where it worked, so her suggestion was to call Microsoft, which obviously isn’t going to do any good. My S1 controller worked fine, so the problem is clearly with the S2 controller.  All Microsoft will say is that something changed in the software from S1 to S2 that makes it inoperable. Isn’t there ANYONE who can address this issue? The attraction with Sonos has always been ease-of-use, but this is anything but.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @TFSD.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand that you’re frustrated because it still does not work. Let me recommend some steps and please follow accordingly.

1. Uninstall third-party antivirus and firewall. (such as Norton, Mcafee, Outpost, etc)
  2. Please make sure to check if you are using VPN and turn it off as well.
  3. If you are also using VLAN, please turn it off or connect the computer to the same router your Sonos is connected to via ethernet cable.
  4. Un-install the Sonos App using the add or remove programs. (Windows OS)
  5. Restart the computer.
  6. Install the Sonos S2 app through our website (no VLAN, no antivirus, no firewall, no VPN) 
  7. Check if you can ping the router and atleast 1 Sonos device prior to opening the newly installed Sonos S2 app. (check the router GUI for their corresponding IP addresses)
  8. If the ping is successful, open the Sonos S2 app and follow the prompts
  9. If the ping is unsuccessful, either they are not on the same network or the Sonos system is offline.
  10. We may want to double-check and make sure there are no managed switches or third-party hardware network security. If there are/is, we may want to make sure to by-pass.
  11. Once the Sonos S2 app is connected, test to make sure everything works.
  12. Once confirmed, install Antivirus and firewall (while the Sonos S2 app is running).

I hope this helps.

Thanks, 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Try my Windows app instead. (See profile).

I tried those steps to the letter. After step 8 (successful pings of the router and a Sonos device), I tried to open the S2 app and got the splash screen for a few seconds and then … nothing. S1 worked fine, so it has to be something in your software.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @TFSD.

Thanks for the detailed and immediate response. 

YOu have 2 options/recommendations to try. @controlav’s recommendation or you can try contacting our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps.

Please let us know how it goes. We’d love to hear and know what the technical support team’s solution would be or @controlav’s recommendation would be. We are always here to help out.

Thanks,