Sonos S2 Slow Functionality

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Ever since the update to the S2 controller on iOS, functionality seems painfully slow.

Amazon music, for example, is particularly slow to render album artwork and there is a significant delay in initiating playback. Same with other services. I have fast wifi and my system is wired in on Sonosnet, so not reliant on my own wifi network. 

Anyone else noticed similar slow functionality with S2? Bit disappointed to be honest. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @chrisOV.

Thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

It's odd that you're having this kind of delay, how about other music services?

Some of the community members might provide their own opinion about this as well.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know

I’m having a similar experience after my upgrade to S2. Especially with Amazon Music services. I’ve been having intermittent problems playing back music from Amazon. Particularly my Amazon playlists. I tried playing a few of my playlists yesterday with almost no success. I cleared the queue and clicked my playlist and nothing would happen. Sometimes it would start playing after about 20 seconds but the album art wouldn’t render and there were times when it did populate the album art but the sonos app said it lost connection to Amazon Music. As of this morning it seems rock solid again so I’m not sure what’s going on. Maybe it’s related to network traffic? I’ll see if it’s still rock solid later this afternoon. My Sonos One’s/ Sonos Ports are hard lined to my network switch so I know it’s not my network. I also reset my entire network (Verizon Router/WiFi router/Network switch/Sonos One’s/Sonos Ports). It’s probably important to note that if I played stations from TuneIn/iHeartRadio everything worked at the speed I’m used to but the real test would be skipping through songs and I can’t do that with music stations. I don’t have any other music streaming service to test like Spotify to see if the problems exists there too. 

I’m having a similar experience after my upgrade to S2. Especially with Amazon Music services. I’ve been having intermittent problems playing back music from Amazon. Particularly my Amazon playlists. I tried playing a few of my playlists yesterday with almost no success. I cleared the queue and clicked my playlist and nothing would happen. Sometimes it would start playing after about 20 seconds but the album art wouldn’t render and there were times when it did populate the album art but the sonos app said it lost connection to Amazon Music. As of this morning it seems rock solid again so I’m not sure what’s going on. Maybe it’s related to network traffic? I’ll see if it’s still rock solid later this afternoon. My Sonos One’s/ Sonos Ports are hard lined to my network switch so I know it’s not my network. I also reset my entire network (Verizon Router/WiFi router/Network switch/Sonos One’s/Sonos Ports). It’s probably important to note that if I played stations from TuneIn/iHeartRadio everything worked at the speed I’m used to but the real test would be skipping through songs and I can’t do that with music stations. I don’t have any other music streaming service to test like Spotify to see if the problems exists there too. 

Amazon music and S2 has been problematic.  I’ve had delays and lost connections where my music stops playing.  I tested Pandora and no issues.  I’m not sure if it’s a Sonos issue or an Amazon issue but something isn’t right.  I’ll test today and see.  

I’m glad I’m not alone! Thanks for adding to this thread ahans. 

Badge +1

I have the same issue and I’m on S1 since I still have the older play 5’s. Yesterday, I literally could not play any of my playlists on Amazon. It kept losing connection and skipping through all songs, no matter what playlist I was trying to play. It’s been an issue for a couple months now. Just not as bad as yesterday. I have about 150 download speeds coming off my router, with no issues with any other devices but Sonos. I thinking about upgrading the play 5, but if the S2 is experiencing the same problems, it might be time to move on to another streaming device. These things aren’t cheap!

Just an update. It was a bit slower later in the afternoon but not as bad as yesterday. At least I was able to play my Playlists.

Badge +1

No issues at all yesterday or today. I think the problem is with Amazon. I couldn’t play anything on Saturday which was the holiday and everybody was probably streamer music on Amazon, whether it be Alexa or other devices and slowed everything down. Especially, when you stream playlists in HD or Ultra HD like I have from Amazon. 

Yeah seems pretty solid today. A bit of a slowdown yesterday but nothing like yesterday. On Saturday I was able to play my playlists using the Amazon Music app and was able to skip through songs pretty quickly. Using the Sonos app...not so much. Probably something wrong with Amazon’s API that Sonos communicates with. HD and Ultra HD only pertains to Video, not audio. 

It’s happening again today….

One potential contributor to this issue is simple wifi interference, which interferes with communication between your controller and the speakers, causing perceived delays in executing a command on the controller. Wi-Fi interference can be random, so it might affect you ‘now’, but not ‘then’. 
Beyond the data in the FAQ I linked, I’d also recommend a simple refresh of your network by unplugging all Sonos devices from power, then rebooting your router. When the router comes back up, plug back in your Sonos devices. It’s not a guaranteed fix, but it certainly wouldn’t hurt. 

I’ve reset my entire home network including all ports/sonos1 speakers and all my Sonos devices are hardwired to my network switch. Everything started speeding back up after 8:30PM. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The S2 app is just very slow on my iPhone 11 Pro (so its not the phone...). Regularly seems to fail to sync up with what is actually playing (on a Beam or Move), and other times I just get the spinning wheel for a long time.

Very frustrating when you want to quickly pause playback, or find out what tune is playing.

My post above still stands as a good pointer to several potential solutions.

Airgetlam, It may help in some cases but this is something different. This seems to be related to network traffic on Sonos’ side. I guarantee browsing music tonight after 8PM will be much faster than it is right now without me lifting a finger. 

Perhaps while experiencing this issue, you might submit a system diagnostic , and give Sonos the number, so they could investigate the issue. 

In every case I’ve seen over the years, it has always been a local network issue. Often caused by by wifi interference, which can be internally caused, or an external cause to the local network. But anecdotal data isn’t very helpful in tracking down the issue in most cases, whereas the hard data in the diagnostic can be much more helpful in identifying the problem….even if it does turn out to be a Sonos issue. 

Entirely up to you. 

Please roll back this rushed update, it’s crippled my system. I can no longer stream more than one song from amazon music. I’ve continually reset everything in my network, it’s not on my end.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Problems are not related to WiFi, networks or other external factors. Why else would a perfectly good working S1 systems start breaking, become awfully slow, sluggish to respond, failing to quickly detect and interact with players… only after upgrading to S2.

Bottomline, Sonos should not have enforced beta software on their user community especially as S2 bring zero added value, no new features only anger, frustration with thousands of Sonos enthusiasts 

to make things worse they don’t provide rollback which in my case has made me throw away two perfectly working CR200 controllers.. couldn’t even reconnect to existing S1 after Sonos release the upgrade, shame on them!😂😂😂

Userlevel 2
Badge

And before u ask, yes have worked with Support, submitted diagnostics and more… spending multiple hours on the phone.

even supports (anonymously admitting) S2 is buggy not ready for prime time