SONOS S2 is bad news

• 11 August 2020
  • 3 replies

SONOS S2 is really bad news for those of us who have built our home sound system over the years.  We value the fact that all components interconnect, and a single app controls all of them.   

This decision by SONOS forces me to stop buying any additional components from them.  

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Why not use the S1 app? All components interconnect, and a single app controls all of them.

Knowing how SONOS has operated in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if they trash away S1 in a couple of years.  I have been with SONOS for many years, and would like to continue for many more.  However, every time SONOS has done an upgrade in the system, we are forced to upgrade or things will not work.  The transition from S1 to S2 appears to be different, and I will stay with S1.  But I am afraid some of my components will become useless in a couple of years when SONOS stops supporting S1.  

SONOS S2 is really bad news for those of us who have built our home sound system over the years.  We value the fact that all components interconnect, and a single app controls all of them.   

This decision by SONOS forces me to stop buying any additional components from them.  

As another person who has built up their system over the years, I don’t share your point of view.  I understand why you want things to remain unchanged, and are ok with your system be forever limited by 15 year old device capabilities, but I understand that Sonos must create products without such limitations in order to compete in the market.  And I am interested in those products as well.

Knowing how SONOS has operated in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if they trash away S1 in a couple of years.  I have been with SONOS for many years, and would like to continue for many more.  However, every time SONOS has done an upgrade in the system, we are forced to upgrade or things will not work.  The transition from S1 to S2 appears to be different, and I will stay with S1.  But I am afraid some of my components will become useless in a couple of years when SONOS stops supporting S1.  

Sonos has never split up into 2 systems in the past, so I am not sure what history your basing your theory on.  I don’t quite understand how Sonos could trash away S1 anyway, since it’s currently at a state where it will only get bug fixes and security patches.  They could stop doing this, and your system  will remain as is.  Yes, interfaces with streaming services and standards will change, and that will cause things in S1 to stop functioning as it currently does.  That is not Sonos actively trashing S1 though.