Sonos S2 alternative controller

• 21 August 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

IOS has Sonopad... Android has.... nothing.

Am I alone in finding the S2 app clunky and outdated - it works but that's about all that's going for it

I especially hate the colour-themed playing screen which can easily provide a sickly yellow background depending on the album art or station logo. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Android had the very first third party Sonos app back in the day, called Andronous I think.

I don’t think there is much interest in writing one due to the endemic problems of easy piracy and the difficulty of getting folks to pay for apps.

I did get my iOS app running on Android, but the testing matrix of so many OS versions and device types conflicted with the single (free) Android device I own so the idea of putting on the store didn’t thrill me.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

That's a pity.  How about offering an apk perhaps on Fdroid?

And how can I find your win version? 

That's a pity.  How about offering an apk perhaps on Fdroid?

And how can I find your win version? 

I thought you ran all your Sonos through the incomparable Squeezebox controllers? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

You're quite correct - there's no comparison between S2 and LMS with material skin plugin.

Compare:

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Android had the very first third party Sonos app back in the day, called Andronous I think.

I don’t think there is much interest in writing one due to the endemic problems of easy piracy and the difficulty of getting folks to pay for apps.

I did get my iOS app running on Android, but the testing matrix of so many OS versions and device types conflicted with the single (free) Android device I own so the idea of putting on the store didn’t thrill me.

You should give it a go on Android (with a disclaimer it may not work on all systems), I'd be happy to try it.

You're quite correct - there's no comparison between S2 and LMS with material skin plugin.

Compare:

And yet here you are . . . Whoosh. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

So, what's your point?

You think the current S2 app is the bee's knees and couldn't possibly be improved? Or what?

I'm simply illustrating how jaded the S2 looks compared with other systems.... It can't even display album art for a live radio stream. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

There's more... Not my taste, just sayin'... 

So, what's your point?

You think the current S2 app is the bee's knees and couldn't possibly be improved? Or what?

I'm simply illustrating how jaded the S2 looks compared with other systems.... It can't even display album art for a live radio stream. 

Again, whoosh!