Answered

Sonos S2

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

So it is 4pm on the 8th June here and still no Sonos S2 update. Hmmmmm.

icon

Best answer by larsvdberg 8 June 2020, 11:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

180 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

From a developers perspective I’d expect the new OS to be released after their developers woke up and are at their workplaces. So around 3 pm UTC. From now that would be in 11 hours.

So it is 4pm on the 8th June here and still no Sonos S2 update. Hmmmmm.

Funny, since Sonos is a US based company, and the US has only just now passed June 8 on the East Coast, never mind in California where Sonos is based, you’d think there’d be a little more logic applied.

Did you already receive your Arc, Sonos Five, or Sub gen 3? Those are the only three devices that require S2 to operate.

Since it’s only 9PM June 7 in Sonos’ home office, I’m not surprised they haven’t yet released the new software. It would seem odd to drag everyone in to the office on a Sunday evening in order to satisfy users so close to the International Date Line. 

Badge +2

My Sonos app changed name with an update that arrived now. Something seems to be ongoing at least :)

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

So in the uk and my original Sonos app has updated to S1 without any prompt from me .

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

My Sonos app changed name with an update that arrived now. Something seems to be ongoing at least :)

Mine to, but where is S2? Or just Sonos app as it will be called.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Or do I have to uninstall the old one first? I only have “modern” devices..

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Or do I have to uninstall the old one first? I only have “modern” devices..

When the S2 app is released it should coexist with the S1 app, to support users that choose to run split S1/S2 systems.

Badge

Updating now

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Updated here too, but its just updated the speakers to S1 software - looking at the speakers now in the app, it says Sonos OS - S1, Version 11.2. 

iPhone app needs tweaking, the ‘title’ of the app (the words underneath the app) are too wordy, and looks very untidy SonosS1Contr… isn't an attractive look. @Sonos, pls change this to just say SonosS1 or something short. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Only the app on my Samsung Android phone has changed , the app on my Samsung tablet has not changed .

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

On Android if the app hasn't updated automatically you need to go to the app store, go to the Sonos app and you will find you can update manually.

Haha, nice to see i’m not the only impatient one… ;)

Almost there I think, got the S2 App and my Sonos devices are updating.

WARNING: disconnect your amp / active speakers when updating your Sonos Connect / Port. I got a very unwelcome glitch sound during the S2 system update.

Userlevel 3
Badge

My Arc arrived today but in the absence of the S2 app being available I can’t do anything with it. 
My Sonos app updated to Sonos S1 Controller and then when trying to add the Arc it says I need the S2 app - but when I click the link it just takes me to the S1 Controller listing in the App Store. 

Well, it's available in the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/sonos/id1488977981

And for Windows 10:

https://update-software.sonos.com/software/pc/dcr/SonosDesktopController120.exe

Haven't seen it for Android yet.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

My Arc arrived today but in the absence of the S2 app being available I can’t do anything with it. 
My Sonos app updated to Sonos S1 Controller and then when trying to add the Arc it says I need the S2 app - but when I click the link it just takes me to the S1 Controller listing in the App Store. 

Same here

Steps:

• Update Sonos App to S1 App
  • In the S1 App go to settings → system → update
  • Update the Sonos system
  • Enter S1 again and go to settings → system → (option below, something with S2 App)
  • Download and install S2 App
  • Open S2 App, it states stat you need to update your system (again)
  • Perform system update (unplug your AMP / Active Speakers. I have my Port via COAX connected to my active speakers and it had a nasty glitchy sound during update)
  • This should be it!

Sonos S2 App link for iOS: https://www.sonos.com/icr2_appstore (I would follow the steps above instead of downloading the S2 App to be sure that the update goes according to the process Sonos has in mind by the way)

Userlevel 3
Badge

Well, it's available in the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/sonos/id1488977981

And for Windows 10:

https://update-software.sonos.com/software/pc/dcr/SonosDesktopController120.exe

Haven't seen it for Android yet.

Thank you for the iOS link!!!!! 
Now I’ve installed it and will proceed with the setup! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Did you already receive your Arc, Sonos Five, or Sub gen 3? Those are the only three devices that require S2 to operate.

Since it’s only 9PM June 7 in Sonos’ home office, I’m not surprised they haven’t yet released the new software. It would seem odd to drag everyone in to the office on a Sunday evening in order to satisfy users so close to the International Date Line. 

Odd as it may seem, they obviously dragged someone in because as indicated by others In this thread the Sonos S1 11.2 update has just appeared.

Nothing about High Resolution audio to be found in the S2 App by the way for those who were wondering.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

works now! :-)

Thanks for this larsvdberg

Sonos are staying consistent in there ability to be unclear about anything they do or release, who was to know the update was just a re-brand than then required you to seek out an option to find the real update. Maybe MS should do this to prevent people using the latest versions upon release.

Steps:

• Update Sonos App to S1 App
  • In the S1 App go to settings → system → update
  • Update the Sonos system
  • Enter S1 again and go to settings → system → (option below, something with S2 App)
  • Download and install S2 App
  • Open S2 App, it states stat you need to update your system (again)
  • Perform system update (unplug your AMP / Active Speakers. I have my Port via COAX connected to my active speakers and it had a nasty glitchy sound during update)
  • This should be it!

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Well that was a bit of a let down. No DD+ on the Beam (yet)