Question

SONOS S1 app on MacOS crashes when 'update music library'

• 27 July 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

9 out of 10 times when I select ‘update music library’ in the S1 app on MacOS, the app crashes.

No issues when updating the music library via the Sonos app or SonoPad.

I’ve re-installed the MacOS app twice, but still no improvement.

Please see confirmation number: 597328716

9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @biggetjeindewei, thanks for reaching out and for submitting the diagnostic. I’m seeing that it’s currently updating music library from a NAS drive, is that correct? About the app crashes issue, maybe there’s something that stops/blocks Sonos to work. You can try checking this article about Configuring your firewall to work with Sonos, rebooting your Mac and router. Maybe you just need to refresh the connection as well. Let us know it will it goes. Thanks! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thanks for the help Krishma.

Downloaded yesterday the latest version of Sonos 1, rebooted the Mac, but when selecting ‘update music library’, the app ‘freeze up’ for around 5 minutes before the actual re-index starts.

So a slight improvement, at least it’s not crashing.

I’m not using a firewall, and all IP addresses are fixed/reserved.

Music is stored on a Synology NAS.

All other Sonos functions seems to work properly.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @biggetjeindewei, thanks for your reply and confirmation that you’re using a Synology NAS. Make sure your Synology NAS has SMB v1 enabled. Here’s the thread for more information. Let us know if this helps. Thanks! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi Krishma,

Just verified: smb1 and smb2 are both enabled on the NAS.

I also just did another re-index of the music library; it now ‘only’ froze up for around 1 minute, so improving.

Still, I never encountered such issues on the Sonos Mac app prior to the ‘S1’ release….

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Do you have McAfee or other “security” software installed?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Do you have McAfee or other “security” software installed?

No virusscanner installed. Only VPN client from protonmail, but that never caused any problem with Sonos so far.

As a test, does it still occur when the VPN is disabled?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Good remark on disabling the VPN, I did a check this morning. However, I do not notice any improvement on the re-indexing.

Nevertheless, I do notice that the ‘freeze up’ time become less and less every time I do a re-index. At this point it’s good enough for me (still strange though as I did not see this behaviour on the previous Sonos app for Mac).

It may be that a different Sonos device is doing the indexing now, and the current one doesn’t have as much CPU/Memory as what used to be doing the indexing.

Unfortunately, I am not sure I know how you can “define” which device is doing the indexing of the library. Hopefully someone smarter than I will have a suggestion.

In the meantime, I’d be awfully tempted to unplug all but the most recent speaker from power, and try running the update, forcing that speaker to be the process owner. Once it’s done (assuming it does finish), then I’d plug back in the other speakers.