Sonos S1 app offering S2

Userlevel 1

The new update of the Sonos S1 app keeps nagging me to upgrade to S2 which I can’t do as it breaks my investiment into the Sonos infrastructure Play 5 Gen 1 etc.

Can I turn this off? It’s constant nagging irritates the hell out of me and is starting to put me off using my Sonos products. Certainly will stop me buying more…..

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Barney197.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post and I definitely understand your concern, let me help and try to figure this out.

When prompted to update in the app, you just need to confirm that you would like to continue with your current experience and dismiss the messages encouraging you to switch to Sonos S2, some features of Sonos require certain permissions to be allowed on your mobile device. 

May I know what is the OS of your Sonos controller, is it Android or iOS?

On Android, you are prompted by a dialogue box whenever Sonos requests a new permission, which you can either allow or deny.

These permissions can then be modified by following the steps in this article.

If your controller is using a different Operating System, you can refer to this article for the steps on how to modify app permission.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Barney197.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post and I definitely understand your concern, let me help and try to figure this out.

When prompted to update in the app, you just need to confirm that you would like to continue with your current experience and dismiss the messages encouraging you to switch to Sonos S2, some features of Sonos require certain permissions to be allowed on your mobile device. 

May I know what is the OS of your Sonos controller, is it Android or iOS?

On Android, you are prompted by a dialogue box whenever Sonos requests a new permission, which you can either allow or deny.

These permissions can then be modified by following the steps in this article.

If your controller is using a different Operating System, you can refer to this article for the steps on how to modify app permission.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Thank you for answering - but it is not that is does it once that I object to when I installed it - it is because does it all the fime every time I change the song or start a new one. Why would I possibily want that?

To be clear - This occurs on both the android app and the windows variant on my PCs. Can I turn that off permantly?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Barney197.

Thanks for your response.

I'd like to take a look at some data from your system, kindly submit a diagnostic report when the issue happens, and reply with the confirmation number.

I'd start by reviewing your system and see if there’s anything causing this issue.

If you have any other questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Same thing here. I get regular proposals to upgrade to S2 which is never going to happen. On the contrary, Everytime I see this I get reminded to find another solution for music listening.

There are other software developers that discovered the benefits for the user with the little tick box saying “Don’t show this again”.

What about that Sonos? Letting the user decide for him or herself?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

You can change this in your profile. Sign into your Sonos account through their website, log into your account and turn off notifications in your profile page. 

Userlevel 1

Thanks bockersjv. That was very odd, to change the settings for an app not in the app but on a webpage. Hope it works.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

No, it did not help in the long run. I get nagged to update to Sonos2 aprox once a week in the iOS app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Switch to a Sonos app that doesn’t nag you, ever. Such as SonoPad/SonoPhone.

Userlevel 3
Badge

The latest update to the Sonos s1 android software now includes a permanent nag at the top of the screen telling me it's time to update. Can't be dismissed.

Honestly I can't believe Sonos as a company can go any lower. I can't update because you no longer support recently purchased hardware. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Honestly I can't believe Sonos as a company can go any lower. I can't update because you no longer support recently purchased hardware. 

Not sure what you are referring to with that comment. All Sonos produces except the Dock, CR100, CR200 are still supported, which is maybe 8 years of products. Better than pretty much any other consumer electronics company.

If you are referring to S1/S2 then at least five years worth of hardware is supported on S2.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

The nag message to update has gotten bigger and can’t be dismissed on iOS. Not cool. S2 offers me nothing new, just headaches to get everyone in the household updated. 

I guess “annoy your customers until they update” is the new philosophy. Time to check out 3rd party apps...

Userlevel 2

Great post. And even more than the S1 and S2 forced upgrade cycle, is the number one reason for me to leave Sonos where i have been since the earliest days. Nearly everytime i open the app, i want to throw the device across the room so disgusted i am with the unceasing intrusiveness of what was once simple  and easy.  It is so offensive to be reminded, to have space at the top of the app taken over until i comply and to force me to do what i do not want to do with products i own. As a result i have begun the process of disentagment-replacing Sonos speakers with 3rd party app based receivers and passive speakers, whole house app based amps and other wireless technology. For example i ripped out 4 AMP devices and replaced them with a whole house amplifier. Never again will i be the victim of a monoply vendor in my homes.

When this cycle is completed, the only Sonos products that will remain on my networks are Connect and Port while new solutions roll into the market at which point i will be Sonos free.

I simply fail to understand why Sonos continually works so hard to turn off its most loyal consumers. Do they not  engage with customers or is it they simply dont care? Soon however this wont be my concern. Sad when a company with great technology and loyal constomers loses its way.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

The latest update to the Sonos s1 android software now includes a permanent nag at the top of the screen telling me it's time to update. Can't be dismissed.

Well the only “update” I’m ever going to make one day is to change to another system altogether.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Not sure what you are referring to with that comment. All Sonos produces except the Dock, CR100, CR200 are still supported, which is maybe 8 years of products. Better than pretty much any other consumer electronics company.

If you are referring to S1/S2 then at least five years worth of hardware is supported on S2.

Not comppletely true since updating to S2 will render more than those you listed unusuable. They could at least examine the current system and only nag people who can actually update to S2 without ruining compability.

Sonos is so lame.

I think you’re misinterpreting controlav’s response. Beyond the devices he listed, all Sonos devices are supported by either S1 or S2, and for the foreseeable future, will continue to be. 

He made no distinction between S1 and S2. To my knowledge, the only devices that require S1 are the first generation of PLAY:5, the first generation of the CONNECT and CONNECT:AMP, and the BRIDGE. But they all continue to work under S1 exactly as they have. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Annazel S is there anything new on removing this upgrade notification from S1?

@Annazel S is there anything new on removing this upgrade notification from S1?

The only thing I’ve noticed (on the iOS iPad controller, at least) is if the S1 system has any S1 only products, perhaps amongst S2 compatible products ...and you select the pop-up notification, you get this screen. (see attached), where there is an option to delay and select ‘Not Now’ and all goes away, for a while, at least.

Presumably if all devices were S2 compatible products only, I would not expect to see the ‘Not Now’ option, as presumably it would be sensible to upgrade the entire system to S2, but I’m not in a position to test that, to confirm it is the case.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

If you have full S2 compliant system it will not go away.

I've bought some S1 kit to get rid of it.

Should only have to refuse the update once regardless of what products you have imho.

Everyone is aware of S2, should be customers choice without the incessant nagging from Sonos.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

If you have a household that only has players that are S2 capable, then the banner will persist until you choose to upgrade. 

That is just a terrible attitude towards one’s customers, IMO.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I have 10 sonos units.  Only 1 is S2 compatible.  But, in my S1 App I get constant messages to upgrade to S2.  Can’t make them go away.  Really?  This is ridiculous.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I have 10 sonos units.  Only 1 is S2 compatible.  But, in my S1 App I get constant messages to upgrade to S2.  Can’t make them go away.  Really?  This is ridiculous.

Try this..

Thanks Keithmac; that’s worked for me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Well mine lasted 2 weeks..

Top of the shop is my S1 only ZP90, ironic really (as well as bloody annoying).

Stick your S2 where the sun doesn't shine..

I don’t see these messages; if I remember right, I went through the process of clicking on the message and then at some point refusing the upgrade. Thereafter, no S2 reminders. There is a reminder today, but that is for an S1 upgrade.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I did the same Kumar, seems some are luckier than others.

Will see how long it lasts this time..