Sonos Roam trueplay for other speakers

Userlevel 2

Hopefully a not so crazy question: now that the Roam is coming, will we ever be able use it as a calibration device for other Sonos speakers, e.g. home theather setup, etc.?

I don't own any Apple devices to use trueplay and I imagine it's even annoying for Sonos to keep up with multiple device / mic profiles as even the latest iPod / iPad iterations are not yet supported. This wouldn't be a problem with Sonos Roam as you are already in control of what goes in them and we could finally have a solution for this whole "no trueplay on Android" topic.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Hopefully a not so crazy question: now that the Roam is coming, will we ever be able use it as a calibration device for other Sonos speakers, e.g. home theather setup, etc.?

I don't own any Apple devices to use trueplay and I imagine it's even annoying for Sonos to keep up with multiple device / mic profiles as even the latest iPod / iPad iterations are not yet supported. This wouldn't be a problem with Sonos Roam as you are already in control of what goes in them and we could finally have a solution for this whole "no trueplay on Android" topic.

Sonos rarely gives us advance notice of upcoming features like this, so I wouldn’t expect it now.  I think you could confidently say that the Roam has the mic to handle this feature, just don’t know if it has the hardware to do so.  I don’t know the exact requirements to do trueplay, or what process is done on an iphone, etc.

And honestly, I don’t think it would be thought of as a solution for android lack of trueplay.  People would complain that you have to buy a $170 Roam while Apple users get it for very.  “This is clearly another Sonos money grab and persecution of android users”.

Badge
Hello guys,
I have just bought a Sonos Roam, and I too would like to know if the Trueplay of the Roam coupled to my stereo pair of Play 5 in the same room, can also calibrate all 3 Sonos
(No Apple just Andoid devices)

No, the Roam will only “TruePlay” itself, not any other Sonos devices.

Yes that would be nice, Or Sonos can build their own Trueplay microphone so they dont have to keep up with all the new hardware, I cant do Trueplay with iPad Air 4.

Userlevel 1

Yup same here. We are an Android only household. Even if I have a friend over who has an Apple device (and we haven’t had people over in a year due to COVID) it would be impossible to use their device because I have young kids who make noise. I would only be able to tune my speakers during the rare moments that all of my kids are not home. So yeah, now that I have the Roam, it would be great to use it to tune Trueplay on other speakers without having to have a friend come over and waste our time together awkwardly trying to tune my speakers.

I would really welcome this too - it'd probably convince me to add a Roam to my collection.

It would be great to copy Auto Trueplay feature from Roam and Move to other speakers with mics, like One, Beam, Arc and others!

Badge

No, the Roam will only “TruePlay” itself, not any other Sonos devices.

Maybe a simple line of code in the firmware of Sonos Roam and other devices could offer us this function ....

If it was that simple, wouldn’t  they have done it on any of their speakers that already have a microphone? The fact that they haven’t leads to a conclusion that it isn’t as simple as a ‘line of code’. 

Badge

OK but Roam is the first Sonos device with a microphone AND the "trueplay" system ……….
No other is equipped with the app “trueplay”

Badge +17

OK but Roam is the first Sonos device with a microphone AND the "trueplay" system ……….
No other is equipped with the app “trueplay”

Move was the first Sonos product with Auto-Trueplay functionality, and the Sonos One was the first Sonos product with mics. I’ve logged this as a feature request and passed it onto the team for consideration, but Bruce is correct, it will be a lot more work than a simple line of code to make sure everything is working correctly :slight_smile:

Badge

Ok many thanks, but it’s not impossible.
Please Sonos do it for us :laughing: