Sonos Roam Out of Network App

• 28 July 2022
  • 7 replies

Ok so moved to the Roam after having UE booms for years. They have a dedicated app that can be used to alter config, see battery levels, change equaliser settings and lots more.

I understand that the Roam fits in with Home network and all those things are available via Sonos app when at Home.

But once you leave the Home Network and Roam you can't do anything. That's insane. Yes it connects seamlessly and does its main job which is play music etc. But to not have the ability to access the settings is ridiculous. 

Is there any way you can do it? Even with a 3rd Party App?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

It isn’t insane, it is logical and inevitable.  The Sonos app is not a music player, it is a remote control for the networked system.  It is totally irrelevant to the speaker used in Bluetooth mode.  If you want to change the equalisation settings, for example, you would do so in whatever music app you are playing from, or using the device settings.  Exactly the same as you would with almost any other dumb Bluetooth speaker.  That is all that is needed.

Still think there should be a way to access settings etc or even allow someone else to connect to it out of network. It's portable so to be so restricted out of network is not very helpful. Any third party apps?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Reading this, it should be entirely possible to connect a new phone to a Roam via bluetooth when being off wifi:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4989?language=en_US

Still think there should be a way to access settings etc or even allow someone else to connect to it out of network. It's portable so to be so restricted out of network is not very helpful. Any third party apps?

I have no idea what your problem is. Which settings do you need when using Bluetooth that you don't have?

To connect another phone John. Battery Status. All the things that you can do with other Bluetooth speaker apps. This is the first time I've posted on this forum. If this aggressive approach is how it is then it will be the last.

I'm a fan of Sonos products and I simply posted a frustration as I have used other BT speakers and this seems like something that would improve the product. Yet all I have had is "Don't know what you're problem is?"

If that's all you can do to people that post on here then maybe just don't?

I'm done 

​​​​

I am sorry about my choice of words. I simply meant that I genuinely didn't understand what the problem was and thought some more concrete examples would help.

To connect another phone John. Battery Status. All the things that you can do with other Bluetooth speaker apps.

There is already a link from 106rallye on how to connect to a different device.  Here’s the link for checking battery status.

To view Roam’s battery level, open the Sonos app and find your Roam in the  System tab. The battery's charge level is displayed as a percentage next to the battery icon.

As far as equalizer setting, that is typically built in to your phone’s OS, as John already mentioned.  It is on my android.  I suspect that what you saw with your UE app was just a skin for the OS equalizer controls.  I personally wouldn’t mess with this though since the Roam has autotrueplay.  It will adjust it’s settings automatically after it’s moved.  At the very least, leave it alone until after after adjustments have been made.

This is the first time I've posted on this forum. If this aggressive approach is how it is then it will be the last.

Generally speaking, when you start off your question stating that a missing feature is ‘insane’ and ‘ridiculous’, which some would say qualifies as an aggressive approach, you tend to get a similar aggressive response.  That’s been my experience anyway.  I get that you probably didn’t intend for it to come off that way, but it kind of did.  A lot of people come here to vent rather than want than want actual answers to their questions, and it is often hard to tell the difference...particularly when answers are not acknowledged.

I'm a fan of Sonos products and I simply posted a frustration as I have used other BT speakers and this seems like something that would improve the product. Yet all I have had is "Don't know what you're problem is?"

And the people who are volunteering their time to answer questions get frustrated as well.   

If that's all you can do to people that post on here then maybe just don't?

I'm done 

​​​​