Sonos, please stop obsoleting my iPhone controllers!

Userlevel 3
Badge +8
Like many people, I periodically upgrade my iPhone to take advantage of newer features. The replaced iPhone then becomes a Sonos controller. I have two such iPhones, sitting in charger cradles next to the easy chair in the main listening room, and on the nightstand in the bedroom for the bedroom Sonos Connect.

However, now for the second time, Sonos has dropped support for one of the iPhones (OS version no longer supported). I don't pretend to understand the complexity of supporting a controller on an older iOS version, but it doesn't make me happy not to be able to use perfectly good hardware as a controller. How about a break?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

In fact it is Apple's practice of planned obsolescence that means the iPhones cannot cope with essential Sonos developments.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Try the sonophone app to keep your iOS controller alive:-
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sonophone/id815251931?mt=8
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I'd rather Sonos crack on with new developments and features than worry about 7 year old Apple or Android products. You could equally have a pop at those companies for not giving their old phones the new OS.

Also there are alternatives such as the sonophone suggested above. Or get an Amazon Fire tablet for £50 to retain full functionality as well as giving potential for Alexa VC in the future.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Sonos only makes money from selling new hardware.
Would this deter new sales.............probably not.
Sonos only makes money from selling new hardware.
Would this deter new sales.............probably not.

Actually, this has been discussed. Apple only allows older versions of an app to be released as is, you cannot release multiple new versions of an app targeted for a particular range of iOS versions. This means if Sonos were to try to support older versions of iOS, they would need to freeze the users system to that version of the app. This would mean:

1) Any changes to streaming protocols, security, features, etc. would not be possible on the old app. Through mere attrition, eventually the majority of streaming services would not continue to operate, as the BBC, Spotify, and others ceased working for the few users who insisted on not upgrading to version 5.0. Since streaming services comprise 92% of Sonos usage as of the last published data, the impact of those very few who would prefer using a unsupported iOS controller over having no streaming services would be minimal on sales.

2) Since the hardware would be frozen at a legacy firmware version, no new Sonos hardware could ever be added. This most definitely would effect sales, eliminating those who choose the above course (no matter how few) from any future sales of new Sonos products.

So as you can see, allowing users to continue to use legacy app versions is difficult, would never add to sales, and would eventually eliminate one of Sonos best selling points, the ability to stream from dozens of services. Not a very good ROI if your company cares about those things.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Amazon Fire 7 on sale on prime day for £29! That's a small round of drinks in A London pub
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Consistency? The Sonos System Requirements Page https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/127/kw/ios%20version says iOS 9. The App page says iOS 8. Like OP I recycle my phones and am disappointed that they should stop working. Why not publish a Legacy Sonos App that works on much older devices but only performs the basic functions - add/start/stop of songs, radio, line-in. The protocol hasn't changed in these areas so there is no reason why it should ever die. SonoPhone no longer has the edge for features but at least it works down to iOS 6.
As explained above, Apple rules prohbit legacy type apps targeted at older iOS versions. They only allow the actual older versions of an app to be released, and since Sonos is a system, eventually older versions will not work with newer hardware. Also, streaming protocols, security, features, etc., will eventually render an old version useless even if the hardware is not updated. This was seen by folks who refused to upgrade to 5.0, and eventually changes to the BBC, Spotify, and AWS security measures rendered their systems useless except for local music.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Consistency? The Sonos System Requirements Page https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/127/kw/ios%20version says iOS 9. The App page says iOS 8. Like OP I recycle my phones and am disappointed that they should stop working. Why not publish a Legacy Sonos App that works on much older devices but only performs the basic functions - add/start/stop of songs, radio, line-in. The protocol hasn't changed in these areas so there is no reason why it should ever die. SonoPhone no longer has the edge for features but at least it works down to iOS 6.
I'm confused about how someone seeks out a month-old thread, but doesn't actually read the posts in it.
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
I don't accept the argument. I can see two solutions - code in the app that detects the iOS version and only offers the advanced functions to those versions that can handle it. Alternatively issue apps with the version number - Sonos6, Sonos7, Sonos8 etc. The older ones don't need to be updated just continue to work with the function they were designed for. After all the protocol doesn't change so there is no reason why they should stop. SonoPhone can do it.
Badge
Usually, apps have to be compiled to a minimum OS version to take advantage of APIs available on that OS but nothing after. So no, writing code that will detect the iOS version isn't as feasible as you make it seem.

Any examples of popular developers who have managed to circumvent Apple's rules and issued apps specifically targeted at legacy systems?

I don't accept the argument....SonoPhone can do it.
I can see the solution. Use SonoPhone. 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I don't accept the argument.

It's a statement of fact. You can't fly if you refute gravity.

The workaround you desire is not possible as stated because other things are changing (xolubi correctly said while I was typing this up).
I don't accept the argument. I can see two solutions - code in the app that detects the iOS version and only offers the advanced functions to those versions that can handle it.

Not possible, and against Apple's Developer TOS, which requires you to use a certain SDK in order to access new functionality, an SDK that targets only certain iOS versions.

Alternatively issue apps with the version number - Sonos6, Sonos7, Sonos8 etc. The older ones don't need to be updated just continue to work with the function they were designed for. After all the protocol doesn't change so there is no reason why they should stop. SonoPhone can do it.

Also not possible. Apple only allows version versions to be released as is, you cannot develop and release multiple apps targeted towards a specific iOS version. As such, the older releases would very soon be incompatible with newer firmware and/or music services and thus cease to work.

After all the protocol doesn't change so there is no reason why they should stop. SonoPhone can do it.

Protocols change all the time. The BBC changed their streaming protocol, Spotify changed from a direct to a web based API. Sonos itself changed the security measures needed to access AWS when they enabled Spotify Direct Control. Just ask the people who tried to cling to version 4.1 how long they were able to fully function.

SonoPhone can do it.

Then I suggest you use SonosPhone, and forego any new functionality available via the official app.
I can understand all the logical arguments here as to why older iPhones and iPads running older versions of IOS can no longer be supported.
However, this does not remove any of the frustration that these perfectly working devices are effectively made obsolete.
So your Sonos speaker system becomes unusable unless you pay many, many hundreds of pounds to buy newer replacement iPhones and iPads
(In some cases quite a lot more than the original cost of your Sonos equipment)