Sonos Play 1 No Longer Compatible with iPhone streaming

• 20 August 2019
  • 7 replies

Got a notice on my iPhone today that Sonos is no longer going to make streaming from my iPhone an option for some bs reason. It will require you to stream from a Mac or a computer or buy a hub. Some BS reason that it's compatibility issues with newer iphones/software.

Thank God I bought them two days ago and am returning them.

It's 2019 Sonos - is it really that hard to create a software patch? I was OK putting up with the WiFi only, but now likely to go to Harman Kardon and stream via bluetooth and not be stuck in 2014 WiFi. So dumb.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
As this is due to Apple's changes made to IOS that gave thought about this state of affairs, perhaps you should direct your ire at them, rather than Sonos.

And, it is only the "on this device" option that is being removed.

So if you have a recent iPhone and new Sonos speakers, they are still compatible through Airplay 2- believe, I've just set up my system to do just that.

A little investigation, rather than a rant, is all that's needed.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Arguably, if you have new Sonos speakers, Airplay 2 is much preferable to Play on Phone, as it allows you to use the built in iTunes app to play locally stored music, but also lets you play any audio from your phone, such as YouTube and other video sites, Garage Band, etc.
"Mr. Keith"

There's no additional investigation and all you did was repeat what I stated. I'm not about to spend another couple hundred bucks to make one $150 speaker work. I did my research and chose the Play 1 for a reason.

I've worked with Apple. It's a software issue/fix - not a hardware problem.

But hey, thanks Mr. Knowitall who's actually just bloviating to impress himself.

There's nothing updated on Sonos' website either calling out this change.
As this is due to Apple's changes made to IOS that gave thought about this state of affairs, perhaps you should direct your ire at them, rather than Sonos.

And, it is only the "on this device" option that is being removed.

So if you have a recent iPhone and new Sonos speakers, they are still compatible through Airplay 2- believe, I've just set up my system to do just that.

A little investigation, rather than a rant, is all that's needed.
If all you want is to play from phone storage to a single speaker then Bluetooth is just what ypu need. Best to do what you are doing and return a speaker that is designed to be part of a multiroom, multicontroller, multisource system for which Bluetooth alone would be useless.

I suspect no mention of the change on the website because previously it didn't mention playing from phone storage.

I just bought Sonos Play 1. Cant believe I cannot play music from my iPhone. What’s even worse - I did read review a few weeks ago that it is great choice to use with airplay. Only now I realized that there is Sonos Play “1” and Sonos “One” - what kind of joke it is???

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

So you made a mistake or didn’t research properly before buying  - Sonos do make it difficult with those product names, though the Voice Control capabilities on only one of them rather helps with identification. 

I don’t see a big problem though. You just bought it: return it and swap over with a One, or a One SL if you still don’t want voice control. 

Yea, unfortunately for buying tech, it’s rather important to be very careful and avoid assumptions.  There are many different versions out there with slightly different names, and different feature sets.  It’s not a Sonos problem by any means.  As an example, Apple just came out with airpod pros, apparently different from regular airpods.  What’s the difference?  I don’t know.