Answered

Sonos Play 1 + Amazon Echo Dot?!?!

• 23 January 2017
  • 40 replies

Hey everybody, i have the Sonos Play 1 twice at the moment and im thinking about buying a Amazon Echo Dot. Am i yet able to connect the devices via WIFI? Thanks.
icon

Best answer by Stuart_W 23 January 2017, 15:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

40 replies

No sensible answer then Stuart_W ? Or do you not understand what open source software is?
Maybe you didn't realise Sonos uses open source software within the product already?

What does something being open source have to do with the fact that you are shilling another product on a Sonos site?

If I went to a Windows forum and posted about how great an alternative Linux is, it would still be Spam. You can always tell when the 3rd party developers think the official Sonos release is near, things tend to get a little more desperate around here.

What does something being open source have to do with the fact that you are shilling another product on a Sonos site?

If I went to a Windows forum and posted about how great an alternative Linux is, it would still be Spam. You can always tell when the 3rd party developers think the official Sonos release is near, things tend to get a little more desperate around here.

Sorry but i think you are missing the point entirely.

Firstly the link i posted is not a PRODUCT and it is most definitely NOT an ALTERNATIVE to Sonos. It is complementary.
It is an open source technology software solution that allows Alexa to control Sonos.
It is free. It is not a 3rd party product.
It is absolutely nothing to do with me (other than i am a user of it alongside my Sonos system) and i am not "shilling" it.
it is made available under the same licence that numerous other pieces of software that are already in the core Sonos product are. It is quite possible that Sonos themselves may even use some of this software in their own solution as they have already done with other capabilities they have added.

But more importantly it provides a possible solution to something that alot of people are asking about.
It's not suitable for everyone and its certainly not going to be exactly how Sonos will implement it but it's something that offers a solution until/if Sonos deliver the same capability.

Are you saying that its spam to post about a free piece of complimentary open source software that works with Sonos on a thread that is about how a second commercial product (Alexa) will also do exactly that ?
It was over a year since it was reported in the technology press with a link and mention to Sonos.

Best to ignore the salty comments from jgatie, he/she/they needs to get outside more.

Former CEO confirmed they were working on voice in a blog post March 9 2016. So yes they've been working on voice for over a year.

Alexa could be released tomorrow or not for over 5 months, so thanks for posting this. I'm gonna check it out.

http://blog.sonos.com/en/industry-in-transition-invest-in-future/
Sigh.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

It looks like Spam, smells like Spam and it tastes like. So it's Spam.
Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spammity Spam, Wonderful Spam

No sensible answer then Stuart_W ? Or do you not understand what open source software is?
Maybe you didn't realise Sonos uses open source software within the product already?

Actually you didn't get it. Maybe you're too young, lack curiosity or have no sense of humour. Or possibly all 3. I don't really care. But if you're interested in expanding your narrow horizons then Google "Monty Python Spam sketch". You're welcome

Actually you didn't get it. Maybe you're too young, lack curiosity or have no sense of humour. Or possibly all 3. I don't really care. But if you're interested in expanding your narrow horizons then Google "Monty Python Spam sketch". You're welcome

Certainly not young. Know the pythons well and watch the original sketches first time round so well aware of the Spam sketch. And I certainly do have a sense of humour.

However, when someone (not you originally i admit) tries to turn a helpful post into being accused on posting spam then I guess sense of humour becomes parrot like - dead!

If you were just been amusing and had no point to make then fine - haha. But it might have helped to put something other than just a random monty python quote in with nothing else to add.

How would you like to see something like that after something you post as a serious point and the inference being that you are just spamming?

I think its probably just best to take the previous users point and recognise that there's no place here for reasonable discussion or feedback to Sonos if it goes against established posters views who clearly can't take anyone else's opinion on Sonos or god forbid try and provide a helpful answer.

I'll leave now and wont bother posting again - you and jgatie can continue to answer peoples questions here and help them in your own way.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Since it’s been almost a year since Sonos announced they would be working with the Amazon Echo and yet we still have nothing to show for it, I’m beginning to seriously doubt we ever will.
In trying to come up with a theory on why it’s taking so long for Sonos to enable voice control, I’ve been thinking that maybe they’ve decided to not tie their fate with Amazon and are going to release their own voice controlled device. They could be following Apple, and will mimic the HomePod. This would explain the huge delay. This would also create a new profit source for them. Think about it, Apple is charging $349 for theirs, and as we all know Sonos is not afraid of using a huge markup like that.
I hope I’m wrong, but…….
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Since it’s been almost a year since Sonos announced they would be working with the Amazon Echo and yet we still have nothing to show for it, I’m beginning to seriously doubt we ever will.
In trying to come up with a theory on why it’s taking so long for Sonos to enable voice control, I’ve been thinking that maybe they’ve decided to not tie their fate with Amazon and are going to release their own voice controlled device. They could be following Apple, and will mimic the HomePod. This would explain the huge delay. This would also create a new profit source for them. Think about it, Apple is charging $349 for theirs, and as we all know Sonos is not afraid of using a huge markup like that.
I hope I’m wrong, but…….

Sonos aren't, even at the best of times, noted for their fleet footedness. This does appear to be directly related to their stubborn desire to ensure that whatever they are working on is as good as it can be - certainly good enough to ensure it not only enhances their brand but doesn't cause unforeseen problems.

Many of the posts we see in tis board appear to neglect the fact that integrating their system with a 3rd party's voice control system should be considered to be a significant technical challenge both in the design of the intended working and then turning that set of requirements into a working system. Whilst I have no inside information I have no doubt that Sonos are busting a gut to get this integration going.

Patience!
I hope I’m wrong, but…….

Nice theory, except Sonos representatives have repeatedly stated here on this forum that the Alexa/Sonos integration is currently being worked on and is on schedule to be delivered this year. A delivery date that exactly matches the expected delivery date given in the very first press conference. Fact is, this is something which doesn't exist, and to do it right takes time.
Took Amazon until just the other day to deliver basic on/off and volume control functionality to a few select devices from a few select vendors. The new functionality in support of Sonos will need to be orders of magnitude more complex, so will take considerable time on Amazon's part, not to mention Sonos'. Patience. Plenty of leaks about it being in beta, so shouldn't be too much longer.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
OK, you've convinced me. I'll just have to give them more time. This better be one hell of an app though.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
OK, so earlier in this thread I suggested that Sonos wasn't going to tie their fate with Amazon's Echo and was in fact shelving the Echo app and instead will be coming out with their own speech controlled speaker. You guys convinced me that maybe I was wrong.
Well, I think it's time to reconsider. Look at the recent news about Amazon enabling the Echo to synchronize music playback. This will be in direct competition with the likes of companies like Sonos. To quote C/Net "It would also make Amazon's line more competitive with the Sonos speaker system and the upcoming Apple HomePod. "

Will the Echo sound as good as the Sonos - no. But to a lot of people that's not important. It will sound "good enough". The convenience of having the Echo already perform this feature will negate any desire to go out and spend additional money for another (Sonos) system. This is a huge challenge for Sonos. They can't ignore this and do business as usual and end up being another "Blackberry".

I'm telling you, there's no way it takes a year to come out with app for this. They're designing a whole new speaker with voice control!

https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-echo-multi-room-audio-not-far-off-report-says/
NO.THEY.ARE.NOT!!!!

Back away from the tinfoil hat. :8
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Look, if Sonos isn't making a voice controlled speaker, they damn well should be. It's not just me saying it. Here's an excerpt from This Week in Google where the host states the same thing.
https://youtu.be/irojLVDSk0g?t=2h6m45s

By the way I think I look pretty snazzy in my tinfoil hat 🙂
Jeebus Christmas, Sonos IS going to make a voice controlled speaker. The CEO has actually publicly stated they are going to make a speaker with a microphone array built in. They just aren't going to spend millions to reinvent the freaking wheel when they can just use embedded Alexa (or Google?, or Apple?) technology.