Sonos One Lacking in Mids

• 9 August 2018
  • 6 replies

Mostly I am satisfied with my Sonos One, but even with adjusting the bass all the way down and the treble all the way up, it sounds kind of boxy and mushy in the middle. I would disagree that and enhanced equalizer is not a worth while feature. If I could play straight from iTunes, I could get around this issue. Do the bigger Sonos units provide more range?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I have two Play 1's set up in stereo and a Play 5. All I can tell you is the Play5 sounds different than the two play 1's. Maybe the Play 5 sounds a little more spacious/realistic. But neither are audiophile level and both sound boomy at certain frequencies. There's only so much small speakers can do. Let's face it, Sonos' specialty is using small speakers and the convenience of streaming music. IMO they are convenient, sound OK for their size, but are overpriced like Bose. If you want audiophile quality sound, your'e talking high end like JBL pro and others of that ilk.
Mostly I am satisfied with my Sonos One, but even with adjusting the bass all the way down and the treble all the way up, it sounds kind of boxy and mushy in the middle. I would disagree that and enhanced equalizer is not a worth while feature. If I could play straight from iTunes, I could get around this issue. Do the bigger Sonos units provide more range?

You must be used to the crappy Beats/Bose sound if you think Sonos Ones are lacking, lol. They are almost ruler flat from 90Hz on up, as close to ideal as you can get at their price. The only thing lacking is huge dynamics, which is to be expected for speakers of this size.
That does not make any sense chicks. And, no I don't have Beats.
That does not make any sense chicks. And, no I don't have Beats.

It doesn’t make any sense that they have been measured to be ruler flat? Lol.

https://www.lifewire.com/sonos-play-1-measurements-4103874

“This is performance that the designer of a $3,000/pair speaker could be proud of. On-axis, it measures ±2.7 dB. Averaged across the listening window, it's ±2.8 dB. This means that on-axis and off-axis performance are both superb and that the Play:1 should sound pretty good no matter where you place it in a room.”
Perhaps it's possible that the OP has a defective unit in some fashion. I'd recommend that s/he contact Sonos to discuss it.
Thanks. I will try that. 🆒