Sonos One and DLNA

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I read a lot about Sonos and DLNA and my question is why is not yet possible to play music from a DLNA server running on a NAS?

The Sonos app show the NAS and let me navigate through folders but when I try to play music says: Unable to add music to queue.

It makes no sense to me. Why should I use the obsolete samba protocol to share folders over my network while the DLNA protocol exists?

Sonos is almost perfect but this is a big disqualification.

My Samsung TV sees and play music from my NAS. Obviously I don’t want to play music on my TV and this is why I bought a Sonos speaker.

Regards

Max 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Max - unfortunately I think you are on a lost cause there. I tried to do much the same as you, with several different types of DLNA server (MiniDLNA, Rygel and Myth), but got nowhere.

As far as I’m aware, Sonos have never said that they support DLNA externally, which is a bit ironic, given that - as I understand it - they use DLNA within their own proprietary code.

I’ve searched through all of the threads that I can find on the subject, and I’ve not found one in which Sonos representatives provide any information about their stance on DLNA, so all I can do is guess. It may be that they implement DLNA internally in such a way that each Sonos device will only talk that way to another Sonos device, to prevent people from introducing their own devices into the Sonos DLNA “ecosystem”.

But it’s good that other people are trying - please let us know if you make any progress.

Otherwise, you may need to avail yourself of the “no questions asked” returns policy and send it back for a refund - assuming you are within the requisite period?

Userlevel 1

Everybody interested in DLNA protocol could add his voice to mine and see if Sonos will decide to implement it in the future.

Sonos devices work fine as UPnP/DLNA renderers.  I use them that way from my LMS server and the UPnP plugin, controlled by the Material Skin.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Once you have initiated a stream from even the most basic DLNA controller  you can then use the Sonos App to group rooms together, pause music and control volume

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Sonos devices work fine as UPnP/DLNA renderers.  I use them that way from my LMS server and the UPnP plugin, controlled by the Material Skin.

Once you have initiated a stream from even the most basic DLNA controller  you can then use the Sonos App to group rooms together, pause music and control volume

Maybe I’m misunderstanding what Maxmonz is asking, but these seem to be complex answers to a simple question.

If I set up a DLNA based media server on my home network, why can the Sonos app not detect and display it as one of the music sources in the Browse screen? I could never get an answer to that (simple) question.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Maybe I’m misunderstanding what Maxmonz is asking, but these seem to be complex answers to a simple question.

If I set up a DLNA based media server on my home network, why can the Sonos app not detect and display it as one of the music sources in the Browse screen? I could never get an answer to that (simple) question.

Have you enabled the two options under Settings / System / Media Servers?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Yes - it makes no difference.

I should add that the main reason why I wanted to use DLNA for the media server is to get away from having to configure SAMBA to support SMB1 - the worry that the team that maintains SAMBA will stop supporting that antiquated protocol version and I suddenly won’t be able to access my music library.

Badge +1

chicks - is this still working since the recent Sonos 13.1.1 update?  I can’t stream anymore to my Sonos devices with LMS - the first few seconds plays and then it stops and repeats.  I can still stream fine to my Marantz amplifier so it looks like a change on the Sonos end.

chicks - is this still working since the recent Sonos 13.1.1 update?  I can’t stream anymore to my Sonos devices with LMS - the first few seconds plays and then it stops and repeats.  I can still stream fine to my Marantz amplifier so it looks like a change on the Sonos end.

Working fine for me on 13.1.1 from LMS.

Badge +1

Working fine for me on 13.1.1 from LMS.

Spotty and local streaming works fine but radio streaming from TuneIn and BBC Sounds isn’t working - can you please check a radio stream from TuneIn and see if that works?

Ah, yep, stops after a few secs and repeats when playing from TuneIn or BBC Sounds.  Sigh.  What has Sonos done now!? :(

No release notes yet for 13.1.1

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3521?language=en_US

FWIW, the current version is for iOS / MacOS 13.1.2. To the best of my knowledge, the only “fix” in that release is the crash when using the search function, but your guess is as good as mine. I don’t know any specifics about 13.1.1.

I wish that Sonos would understand how to better do releases, including doing release notes for every release, not just “major” feature notes. 

I swear I was reading just the other day about some sort of change to the URI scheme for radio stations in Sonos, but can’t find it now.  Instead of http:// or https://, some other scheme is being used now.  No idea if it’s related, or if I’m just mis-remembering something, lol.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Which version of the bridge are you using?  Mine is 1.61.0

Testing this with the C5 app on my iPhone. Selecting “Office Sonos”, which is the virtual Sonos Play:1 stereo pair via LMS, I’m getting the issue. Selecting the master Play:1 via C5’s built in DLNA server, playing fine. So, something Sonos changed affected the LMS bridge plugin, as it hasn’t been updated in ages. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

The bridge plugin was updated last week to 1.61.0

Badge +1

The bridge plugin was updated last week to 1.61.0

Yes I am already on 1.61.0.

Interesting.  Mine is still showing version 1.0 on piCorePlayer LMS server, v 8.1.1.  Not sure how to update it to 1.61?

Badge +1

Interesting.  Mine is still showing version 1.0 on piCorePlayer LMS server, v 8.1.1.  Not sure how to update it to 1.61?

There is another plug-in to send the stream to Sonos:

UPnP/DLNA bridge (v1.61.0)  Use UPnP/DLNA players in LMS  
Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hmm.... Seems you are using the renderer plugin and not the upnp bridge plugin. 

What is puzzling is how a sonos software update (rather than a firmware update) has modified the upnp feature. 

Badge +1

What is puzzling is how a sonos software update (rather than a firmware update) has modified the upnp feature. 

But there was a Sonos firmware update from 13.1 to Version: 13.1.1 (build 63289260) and that is when I noticed the problem streaming radio.

Ah, I have LMS set to auto update. It wasn’t showing up, as it was updated and I hadn’t rebooted in months. Rebooted, and it’s now showing up. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

But there was a Sonos firmware update from 13.1 to Version: 13.1.1 (build 63289260) and that is when I noticed the problem streaming radio.

Ah!  Hadn't noticed that.   Wonder what changed? 

TuneIn radio stations working fine from LMS to my other DLNA/UPnP renderers.  I also fired up my old S1-only Connect, and updated its firmware.  Same issue.  It’s currently showing v 11.2.9.  Sonos S1 release notes only up to 11.2.6.  Sigh.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4941?language=en_US

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

TuneIn radio stations working fine from LMS to my other DLNA/UPnP renderers.  I also fired up my old S1-only Connect, and updated its firmware.  Same issue.  It’s currently showing v 11.2.9.  Sonos S1 release notes only up to 11.2.6.  Sigh.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4941?language=en_US

It's not just TuneIn - all live radio links are knackered

Pity you can't recall the url scheme change you mentioned