Answered

Sonos on Ubuntu/Linux + Spotify

Did a search for a Sonos + Linux but all threads were archived.

I want to add a +1 for Linux support.

I’m probably an idiot and missed something. I main Linux, and while my Sonos device shows up in Spotify in Linux it never connects, regardless of network (2.4 or 5).. I tried various 3rd party addons and could probably make it work, but why make it such a hassle for Linux users. In Windows the Sonos deivce works perfectly in Spotify as expected.

Love your product, the physical quality and the sound quality, but it’s annoying having to reboot into Windows to listen to music (especially when shitfaced). I would love to extend my Sonos speakers system. but the hassle just makes me ponder Bluetooth speakers instead.

By now, isn’t there enough Linux users to warrant Sonos integration? Again, maybe I missed something.

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 4 March 2020, 22:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

40 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If trying to do a native Linux app you do face a lot of hurdles, something like the package method here: http://pascalopitz.github.io/unoffical-sonos-controller-for-linux/ works quite well and you only need one version to support any Linux based on the same CPU. Flatpack offers similar features.

I’d really like to see a new Sonos “dedicated hardware” controller. Something that could live in a case or an outlet box set into a wall. A non-touch device, real switches would be optimal and support folks with disabilities better.

Even a browser based approach would be great. If my garage door can come with a mini server that lets me control it from any browser Sonos should be able to do the same.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Works for us, doesn’t do everything.

Unofficial Sonos Controller for Linux by pascalopitz

http://pascalopitz.github.io/unoffical-sonos-controller-for-linux/

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

controlav, that sounds like a good idea, I’ll make new comments, requests and reports to the github project instead of here. 

-----

For folks not familiar with github.com it is really easy to use to submit issues or download software.

Unofficial App Download page: Sonos Releases

I think you need a free github account to submit issues or comments there.

Unofficial App Issues page: Sonos Issues

Look for a previous report of your issue and click it or click the New Issue button to start a new one.

Keeping the work over there is a really good idea as it will be less confusing for folks using the Official Sonos Apps and will make it easier for pascalopitz / pascalo to keep track of things.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Excuse me but I got into a lot of trouble for using this forum as a support forum for my Sonos apps, and it was a lot less than this thread. Please take this level of discussion elsewhere.

Badge +1

@castalla I pushed beta 6 as a release, which hopefully addresses the Boost showing up. Let me know.

Badge +1

Oh, just pushed a new release. Tested Amazon music on beta3, and it seemed to work. Keep in mind you will need to also add the service in the sonos mobile app for example, as otherwise the devices won’t be authenticated to play what you’re trying to queue.

Badge +1

@Stanley_4 as requested: https://github.com/pascalopitz/unoffical-sonos-controller-for-linux/releases/tag/v0.2.0-beta4

Badge +1

Any chance of adding the equaliser panel ?

I made a ticket. Will look into it.

https://github.com/pascalopitz/unoffical-sonos-controller-for-linux/issues/84

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Thanks!.

Have run into a problem - now, no players are showing ...

[Content removed because somebody objected to my request for assistance]

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi Stanley,

Thanks for the tip!
Will try this soft!

Valyno

Badge +1

Thanks!.

Have run into a problem - now, no players are showing ...

Please take any issues over to the github page. I fear things will get lost over here.

Also, If you run into trouble and the app crashes, ctrl+R will reload the window.

Badge +1

@Stanley_4 Glad you like it. 

After a long hiatus I started working on the app again. What are your top feature requests?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Grabbed that Beta-4 this morning, basic operations look great but I’m out of time to do test to a new OS, will get that done soon. Thanks for the feature it will save me much aggravation.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I installed this ages ago (probably via debian).  Linux Mint 19.

I have no idea how to install this latest beta … all I get is a zip file ???

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I fooled with this a bit, I can’t play from the selection list but I can add a track to the queue and play it from there. Added my data to the open Amazon Music bug report.

Badge +1

@castalla Ok, got ya. Well, keep posting them here, that’s better than me not finding out about issues.

Out of interest, do you have the same problem with the beta8?

If so, could you do me a favour and check for stack traces in the developer tools?

Finally, you could try to use the Developer Tools→Application→ local storage and remove the entry called “zone” and see if that helps?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

which of the ~2,300 varieties of Linux would you suggest Sonos support, on which CPU? Sonos don’t even support Windows very well these days, and there are hundreds of millions of Windows users.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Thanks again.  Will try the beta 8 today and report back.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@castalla Ok, got ya. Well, keep posting them here, that’s better than me not finding out about issues.

Out of interest, do you have the same problem with the beta8?

If so, could you do me a favour and check for stack traces in the developer tools?

Finally, you could try to use the Developer Tools→Application→ local storage and remove the entry called “zone” and see if that helps?

Mixed results … it finds the sonos system intermittently.   Connects every other run (?)

How do I get ‘stack traces’?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The new Beta 2.1 is working perfectly.

I now install the app on the Pi, and just stay with the default music options as I got tired of having to re-add every time I had to reinstall - not upgrade which worked fine. If I could do the add a service setup process just once and save the data I’d love to have Amazon on the Music Source List, it and my library are 99% of my listening. 

Not a big deal for most folks but I all too often manage to make messes that are best fixed by a fresh OS install.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Boost not displayed in beta8, but ...

Strange characters in playlist display:

Also, the main screen shows Line-in.  My devices don’t have this, so is it possible to remove from the menu?

Badge +1

I could deffo try and make a settings import/export working for your added music services. Will add it to the list.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello,

I have installed Ubuntu Mate 18.04 on an old MacBook 2006.

I have installed Noson, but unfortunately, the app is veryyyyyy slow.

Not usable.

Then I have installed Wine 5.0 and the last version of Sonos Controler.

The app is stuck at screen launch logo…

Any idea?

Thks

V

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I figured it out - thanks.

The listed players/rooms shows my Boost …. ???

Badge +1

@controlav Thanks for the heads up. Over to github it is. @castalla Sorry, won’t look at error reports etc here. Maybe also remove the lengthy state dump and stack trace comments as they clutter up the thread?