Answered

Sonos on Ubuntu/Linux + Spotify

Did a search for a Sonos + Linux but all threads were archived.

I want to add a +1 for Linux support.

I’m probably an idiot and missed something. I main Linux, and while my Sonos device shows up in Spotify in Linux it never connects, regardless of network (2.4 or 5).. I tried various 3rd party addons and could probably make it work, but why make it such a hassle for Linux users. In Windows the Sonos deivce works perfectly in Spotify as expected.

Love your product, the physical quality and the sound quality, but it’s annoying having to reboot into Windows to listen to music (especially when shitfaced). I would love to extend my Sonos speakers system. but the hassle just makes me ponder Bluetooth speakers instead.

By now, isn’t there enough Linux users to warrant Sonos integration? Again, maybe I missed something.

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 4 March 2020, 22:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

40 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

which of the ~2,300 varieties of Linux would you suggest Sonos support, on which CPU? Sonos don’t even support Windows very well these days, and there are hundreds of millions of Windows users.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If trying to do a native Linux app you do face a lot of hurdles, something like the package method here: http://pascalopitz.github.io/unoffical-sonos-controller-for-linux/ works quite well and you only need one version to support any Linux based on the same CPU. Flatpack offers similar features.

I’d really like to see a new Sonos “dedicated hardware” controller. Something that could live in a case or an outlet box set into a wall. A non-touch device, real switches would be optimal and support folks with disabilities better.

Even a browser based approach would be great. If my garage door can come with a mini server that lets me control it from any browser Sonos should be able to do the same.

which of the ~2,300 varieties of Linux would you suggest Sonos support, on which CPU? Sonos don’t even support Windows very well these days, and there are hundreds of millions of Windows users.

Perhaps the Debian-based and RPM-based distros on x86 and x86-64 would be a good start? But yeah, maybe not feasible.

Anyway, noson worked perfectly fine with Ubuntu (18.04) at least. Being sober helped.

https://www.ubuntupit.com/how-to-install-sonos-controller-app-noson-in-ubuntu/

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello,

I have installed Ubuntu Mate 18.04 on an old MacBook 2006.

I have installed Noson, but unfortunately, the app is veryyyyyy slow.

Not usable.

Then I have installed Wine 5.0 and the last version of Sonos Controler.

The app is stuck at screen launch logo…

Any idea?

Thks

V

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Works for us, doesn’t do everything.

Unofficial Sonos Controller for Linux by pascalopitz

http://pascalopitz.github.io/unoffical-sonos-controller-for-linux/

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi Stanley,

Thanks for the tip!
Will try this soft!

Valyno

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I put my copy on a Raspberry Pi and loaded VNC on the PI so I can screen-share from any of my computers without needing to load it everywhere.

Badge +1

@Stanley_4 Glad you like it. 

After a long hiatus I started working on the app again. What are your top feature requests?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’ve been keeping up with the Alpha and Beta releases and been pretty happy with them, the Beta 2 though has a glitch on my setup and isn’t populating the Rooms box. I submitted a bug report, ping me if you need any more info.

My biggest issue is setup, I have to keep doing it over when I upgrade the Pi’s OS or manage to destroy the memory card so I’d say a “Settings Import / Export” would be first on my list. If It would also allow me to clone one setup to multiple Pi that would be second on my list.

Badge +1

I’ve been keeping up with the Alpha and Beta releases and been pretty happy with them, the Beta 2 though has a glitch on my setup and isn’t populating the Rooms box. I submitted a bug report, ping me if you need any more info.

My biggest issue is setup, I have to keep doing it over when I upgrade the Pi’s OS or manage to destroy the memory card so I’d say a “Settings Import / Export” would be first on my list. If It would also allow me to clone one setup to multiple Pi that would be second on my list.

Hey, just force pushed a patch to the beta2 release. Can you re-download and re-test?

Not sure I understand the setup bit. What steps do you go through exactly when setting up the app?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The new Beta 2.1 is working perfectly.

I now install the app on the Pi, and just stay with the default music options as I got tired of having to re-add every time I had to reinstall - not upgrade which worked fine. If I could do the add a service setup process just once and save the data I’d love to have Amazon on the Music Source List, it and my library are 99% of my listening. 

Not a big deal for most folks but I all too often manage to make messes that are best fixed by a fresh OS install.

Badge +1

I could deffo try and make a settings import/export working for your added music services. Will add it to the list.

Badge +1

Oh, just pushed a new release. Tested Amazon music on beta3, and it seemed to work. Keep in mind you will need to also add the service in the sonos mobile app for example, as otherwise the devices won’t be authenticated to play what you’re trying to queue.

Badge +1

@Stanley_4 as requested: https://github.com/pascalopitz/unoffical-sonos-controller-for-linux/releases/tag/v0.2.0-beta4

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Grabbed that Beta-4 this morning, basic operations look great but I’m out of time to do test to a new OS, will get that done soon. Thanks for the feature it will save me much aggravation.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I installed this ages ago (probably via debian).  Linux Mint 19.

I have no idea how to install this latest beta … all I get is a zip file ???

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

What operating system?

I’m using the sonos-controller-unofficial-0.2.0-beta4-armv7l.AppImage on my Raspberry Pi, just download, set permissions to Executable and either double-click the file or pick it off the Pi main menu.

Maybe just unzip it if you are on Windows and try double-clicking the app file?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

What operating system?

I’m using the (Arm v7 filename deleted to bypass moderation) on my Raspberry Pi, just download, set permissions to Executable and either double-click the file or pick it off the Pi main menu.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I surrender, wait for the moderators to allow one of my posts, not trying a fourth time.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

What operating system?

I’m using the sonos-controller-unofficial-0.2.0-beta4-armv7l.AppImage on my Raspberry Pi, just download, set permissions to Executable and either double-click the file or pick it off the Pi main menu.

It’s Linux - debian.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

What operating system?

It’s Linux - debian.

It's working - the trick to get the deb version was to look in assets at github.

Strangely, this version lists my Boost as a player device!

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I figured it out - thanks.

The listed players/rooms shows my Boost …. ???

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I fooled with this a bit, I can’t play from the selection list but I can add a track to the queue and play it from there. Added my data to the open Amazon Music bug report.

Badge +1

@castalla I pushed beta 6 as a release, which hopefully addresses the Boost showing up. Let me know.