Question

Sonos not recognizing fiber WiFi!

• 3 November 2019
  • 9 replies

Recently installed fiber connection. App not recognizing fiber WiFi!!  BUT, 2 of 3 speakers play!  When it does show up, it says I don’t have any registered speakers!  Can’t add 3rd speaker!  Reset all speakers!  I’m sure it’s operator error, but I’m getting really disturbed!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you did a Factory Reset on all, you erased all your settings and data and will have to do a new install.

If your controller is connecting on 5GHz try swapping it to 2.4 GHz and see if that helps.

If you didn’t reset then after the 2.4 swap, powering down your Sonos, rebooting the router and powering up the Sonos at one minute intervals should get things working.

Thanks for your response. 

The fiber connection has its own modem installed on the outside and one single Ethernet cable coming into the house. It is not going through a router. I have a hub connected direct to that cable and have 3 eeros connected to the hub which is the WiFi. That is all that is connected to the fiber. I work from home occasionally and need very fast connections. Thus, the fiber.

Are you saying that the Sonos can’t work with ultra fast WiFi?

Hi.  You are confusing your WiFi local network with your internet connection.  Whether your internet connection is fiber or not is totally irrelevant.  This is about getting Sonos to work on your home network.  The ‘hub’ is, I am guessing, a router.  The Eero probably has a router as well so you may have split your network.

Please could you tell us more about the hub - make and model?

Do you have a Sonos device connected by Ethernet to any of your network devices (hub or Eero)?

Arttheriot,

Set the eero Hubs to all operate on the same ‘fixed’ WiFi channels. Ensure the 2.4ghz & 5ghz bands have different SSID names. Attach one Sonos device to the main eero hub which will ensure your Sonos System switches to the internal SonosNet signal. Ensure you then do the following…

1. Ensure both your SonosNet channel and the eero routers 2.4ghz WiFi Channel are set at least 5 channels apart to prevent signal overlap. So if the eero routers WiFi is on channel 6 (as an example) then set SonosNet on either channel 1 or 11.
  2. When running your devices on SonosNet, with one device wired to the main eero hub, ensure you have removed your WiFi credentials in “Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup”  as they are not required and this will prevent Sonos devices hopping back and forth between SonosNet and your Hub/Routers WiFi Signal.
  3. Unlikely, but If you do have any other Access Points, or Wifi Repeaters on your network at all, in addition to the main eero Hubs, then ensure their broadcasting SSID's and WiFi channels exactly match those of your eero System.

Hope that resolves your issues.

Thanks guys. 

There is NO router. There is NO network. 

The direct line from the fiber modem is connected to a 6 port hub that 3 eeros are connected direct. That’s all that is connected. WiFi only. I have large home thus the 3 eeros. 

There is NO router. 

There is, at least one and possibly more. If you had no router you’d expose every device to the internet.

The primary eero contains a router by default. Your ‘hub’ may be one too, particularly if the secondary eeros are wired to it.

Now, if you’d just respond to @John B’s queries we might be able to make some progress...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/linksys-8-port-gigabit-ethernet-switch-black/4781602.p?skuId=4781602

Either your modem outside is really a router (unlikely) or you have a switch that’s on the public internet. That would mean that each eero is behaving as a primary, each with its own router inside. This would break your local network into multiple subnets.

1. Wire the incoming Ethernet directly to the primary eero’s WAN port.
  2. Wire the switch to the LAN port on that eero.
  3. Wire the secondary eeros to the switch.

Modem → eero 1 → switch → eeros 2 & 3

Wonderful!  Thanks